Since when did the two last names thing become a thing?

I have been around since the 70ā€™s and havenā€™t noticed it until maybe the last few years, and itā€™s becoming more and more trendy. It breaks from one of the oldest traditions alive.

Yes it does break from tradition. Namely, the tradition that a wife is not the equal of her husband, or even goes back to her being virtually property.

Should a man get an engagement ring as well to make things equal?

I want my diamond ring!

Talk to the woman you will marry. I see no reason why you shouldn't, if you want one. Plenty of women forego the engagement ring.

You said the tradition of a woman taking a manā€™s last name represents her becoming a manā€™s personal property. Do you have a link for that or did you make it up?

No, I did not say that. I said "Namely, the tradition that a wife is not the equal of her husband, or even goes back to her being virtually property.". What is the reason for her discarding her family name and taking his? And yes, it probably dates back to when women were virtually property in many cultures. Do I need to post a link or do you have Google?

Easy there, feminazi. I have google. But you seem to think a time honored tradition has negative implications, and I donā€™t see it that way.

Yes it does break from tradition. Namely, the tradition that a wife is not the equal of her husband, or even goes back to her being virtually property.

Should a man get an engagement ring as well to make things equal?

I want my diamond ring!

Talk to the woman you will marry. I see no reason why you shouldn't, if you want one. Plenty of women forego the engagement ring.

You said the tradition of a woman taking a manā€™s last name represents her becoming a manā€™s personal property. Do you have a link for that or did you make it up?

No, I did not say that. I said "Namely, the tradition that a wife is not the equal of her husband, or even goes back to her being virtually property.". What is the reason for her discarding her family name and taking his? And yes, it probably dates back to when women were virtually property in many cultures. Do I need to post a link or do you have Google?

Easy there, feminazi. I have google. But you seem to think a time honored tradition has negative implications, and I donā€™t see it that way.

LMAO!! Oh, so my being in favor of equality makes me a feminazi? My preferring not to denigrate people for deciding for themselves what their married names will be makes me a feminazi? Sounds like personal freedom to me.

I didn't say anything about time honored traditions in general. And any couple who marries and she takes his name is just fine with me. I don't stick my nose into other people's business. I also don't think that people should have to do a something just because it has been done a certain way for a long time.

whats the genesis of this stupid shit?
It was actually more of a thing back in the day during the surfdome era. Marriage was a uniting of families for political and buisness purposes. The multi last name thing indicated the union of the families.

You know, the trend of people having two last names. When did it start and why?

Centuries ago in a Latin country. Next!

So names like Ocasio Cortez arenā€™t a recent phenomenon?

Her parents are Blanca Ocasio-Cortez and Sergio Ocasio. I guess they wanted to have both family names continue.

No, the idea is to blurry the gender roles in society with the two last name thing. Itā€™s a break from tradition, and itā€™s not healthy

It's also used by royalty to designate the various lineages. Not just Iberians but many other ethnic groups use the double names.

whats the genesis of this stupid shit?

Huh?

You know, the trend of people having two last names. When did it start and why?

Centuries ago in a Latin country. Next!

So names like Ocasio Cortez arenā€™t a recent phenomenon?

Her parents are Blanca Ocasio-Cortez and Sergio Ocasio. I guess they wanted to have both family names continue.
It's how they honor their ancestors.
My name should be Lincoln-Sherman-Boone but the names got lost when the females took on their husband's name.

Forum List

Back