Since when did the two last names thing become a thing?

whats the genesis of this stupid shit?

Huh?

You know, the trend of people having two last names. When did it start and why?

Centuries ago in a Latin country. Next!

Namely Spain.

Here ya go:

"a person's name consists of a given name (simple or composite) followed by two family names (surnames). The first surname is usually the father's first surname, and the second the mother's first surname. In recent years, the order of the surnames can be decided at birth."

Spanish naming customs - Wikipedia

Huh?

So names like Ocasio Cortez aren’t a recent phenomenon?

Her parents are Blanca Ocasio-Cortez and Sergio Ocasio. I guess they wanted to have both family names continue.

Like the hyphenated names when people marry? I dunno. Been around since I was a kid in the '60s.

Why is it a problem?

I have been around since the 70’s and haven’t noticed it until maybe the last few years, and it’s becoming more and more trendy. It breaks from one of the oldest traditions alive.

Huh?

Her parents are Blanca Ocasio-Cortez and Sergio Ocasio. I guess they wanted to have both family names continue.

No, the idea is to blurry the gender roles in society with the two last name thing. It’s a break from tradition, and it’s not healthy

Although, I could see it being a problem if you keep it going. If John Michael Smith-Jones marries Amelia Jean Stevens-Brown, with their kids be Smith-Jones-Stevens-Brown?

No, the idea is to blurry the gender roles in society with the two last name thing. It’s a break from tradition, and it’s not healthy

It is healthy for the female not to have to cut off her name.

Like the hyphenated names when people marry? I dunno. Been around since I was a kid in the '60s.

Why is it a problem?

I have been around since the 70’s and haven’t noticed it until maybe the last few years, and it’s becoming more and more trendy. It breaks from one of the oldest traditions alive.

Yes it does break from tradition. Namely, the tradition that a wife is not the equal of her husband, or even goes back to her being virtually property.

Why is it a problem?

Yes it does break from tradition. Namely, the tradition that a wife is not the equal of her husband, or even goes back to her being virtually property.

Should a man get an engagement ring as well to make things equal?

I want my diamond ring!

Why is it a problem?

I want my diamond ring!

Talk to the woman you will marry. I see no reason why you shouldn't, if you want one. Plenty of women forego the engagement ring.

The main genesis of that came from the Women's Liberation types during the 60's and 70's. They didn't want to lose their maiden name to replace it with their married name, so, some couples would hyphenate the 2 last names as a way to be equal.

Why is it a problem?

I want my diamond ring!

Talk to the woman you will marry. I see no reason why you shouldn't, if you want one. Plenty of women forego the engagement ring.

You said the tradition of a woman taking a man’s last name represents her becoming a man’s personal property. Do you have a link for that or did you make it up?

It's not a recent thing. In England, "double-barreled" names were used among the wealthy when a family name was going to die out due to lack of male heirs. The female line would preserve the name by adding the it to the husband's family name.

Why is it a problem?

I want my diamond ring!

You said the tradition of a woman taking a man’s last name represents her becoming a man’s personal property. Do you have a link for that or did you make it up?

No, I did not say that. I said "Namely, the tradition that a wife is not the equal of her husband, or even goes back to her being virtually property.". What is the reason for her discarding her family name and taking his? And yes, it probably dates back to when women were virtually property in many cultures. Do I need to post a link or do you have Google?

Why do you care whether couples use one name or both? Hell, why not marry and make both last names Waca-waca-waca?

When you marry, why don't you take your wife's surname? No hyphen, just ditch your last name and take her.

Forum List

Back