Simple Point Missing in the Union threads

This is why I belong to a union.

1. reprimanded for writing a letter to a legislator regarding school safety (I was unaware that teachers have limited free speech rights). Won't make that mistake again.
2. falsely accused of making PRANK PHONE CALLS to a student I hardly knew
3. reprimanded for "making a girl cry" after I sent her out for a dress code violation (4th day in a row)

Two of my friends needed union representation for the following:
1. calling a parent about a student's suicide comment (apparently teachers are not permitted to do this)
2. accused of "simple assault" for accidently hitting a kid while gesturing

If Christie busts the teacher's union and makes participation voluntary, I will keep my membership. And I am a Republican.

Here is why I do NOT belong to a union (and haven't since I realized I have brains of my own):

1. My own union brother crew-mates told me to go and f**k myself when I needed their help.

:cuckoo:

To all those who think that the billionaires just want unions to be reasonable think again. Let's look at ALEC for a moment as they were the authors of the public union busting bill, What the hell does a lobbying group serving America's biggest corporations care about public unions? They don't but you have to start somewhere in a mission to destroy unions as a political force in America. We are not dealing with reasonable people, they want nothing less than the end of collective bargaining in America.

Look dude, I've already shown a private company (fed ex) pays better wages than a union company (UPS) in the same industry. IF you want to be in a union, awesome, but people should not be coerced. I mean after all unions are to help the little guy? not make a union boss rich?
I live in TN and wages arent any different than in OHIO, TN is right to work and Ohio is unionized. no difference, other than in TN I dont take money out of my paycheck and give it to some polish or italitan thug.

Why do you assume this is how unions work? While the repubs say that paying CEO's more money will result in Trickle down, suddenly you reverse when it comes to unions. Unions can help the little guy AND pay the boss too, cant they?

Or are only unions supposed to pay the bosses the same as the employees?

really simple. The corporation PAYS YOU to work for them. YOU PAY the union to do whatever it is they do.

Like I said I live in TN and lived in OH and I dont see a difference in wages among comparable jobs. Look at FedEx and UPS. Fed Ex has better wages, UPS has a better bonus, but if you include the union dues you pay at UPS, they're pob even if not FedEx being ahead.

I went to work at Krogers as a kid and had to pay union dues, so I said nope and went to Red Lobster instead. Why does a bag boy or a cashier need a union? I've worked at retail as a cashier making as much as I would at Krogers with no union dues.

And another thing, If you want to pay a union, go ahead, but you shouldnt be forced into it. I mean Union bosses make very good money and what do they do?

Last edited:
union-card-not_5.jpg

Ahh!!

The reliable "all or nothing" argument
:clap2:

To a degree, there's a point.

Half those things a lot of us don't have anymore. The result of 40 years of chipping away at what unions won.

I don't get overtime, I don't have seniority rights, and hell knows what else they'd take away if given the oppurtunity.

The part of the story that the OP is not telling is that so many sticks have been added that even all the sons together cannot even pick them up...

While I see the moral of the OP's story what he is missing is the fact that when companies and states go bankrupt because they can't carry the weight (demand) of the Unions, everyone will lose.

It blows the mind that people like the OP can't understand this very basic concept seeing as it happens to be the reality we live in.

Precisely so! Organizing labor for real grievances because regulatory protections were not in place was how Big Labor got its start- That evil is gone.

Now we have union demands so onerous that the life of a company is threatened- the proverbial pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction~

Ahh!!

Half those things a lot of us don't have anymore. The result of 40 years of chipping away at what unions won.

I don't get overtime, I don't have seniority rights, and hell knows what else they'd take away if given the oppurtunity.

you dont get overtime? Well change companies then bro. I do get it. YAY for me!!
Senority, what are you supposed to get with that?
When did republicans get rid of senority or OT?

To all those who think that the billionaires just want unions to be reasonable think again. Let's look at ALEC for a moment as they were the authors of the public union busting bill, What the hell does a lobbying group serving America's biggest corporations care about public unions? They don't but you have to start somewhere in a mission to destroy unions as a political force in America. We are not dealing with reasonable people, they want nothing less than the end of collective bargaining in America.

You do realize that corporations fund the school systems with their property taxes, don't you?
Let's say you have 4 kids in public school Their education alone costs about 50K/year. Do you or many of your neighbours pay 50 K in property tax?
Don't the corporations have some say in how the millions they pay in taxes is spent?

You do realize that corporations fund the school systems with their property taxes, don't you?
Let's say you have 4 kids in public school Their education alone costs about 50K/year. Do you or many of your neighbours pay 50 K in property tax?
Don't the corporations have some say in how the millions they pay in taxes is spent?

What :eek: education isn't free :confused:

:lol:

Sure it is, if you don't pay property tax, or near to what you get in return for what you do pay.

Well Buckeye, you've never needed a unions help and thats why you think it's a waste. If you ever needed their help you would besieging another tune. It's like insurance. Everyone thinks they pay for nothing until their car gets smashed.

Ahh!!

you dont get overtime? Well change companies then bro. I do get it. YAY for me!!

Most salaried people don't get overtime.

If you are an hourly waged employee you get overtime.

Sure it is, if you don't pay property tax, or near to what you get in return for what you do pay.

Some of us without kids pay more for education than do people with a gaggle of rug rats.

Last edited:

True, but salaried people generally also have a bonus structure and comp times. 40 hour work weeks are for those folks who don't mind a middle-class existence (not intended to disparage anyone) I of course exclude public employees from this idea of middle class- since their salaries are structured to include all kinds of benefits that their private sector counterparts don't enjoy- most especially a pension.

Is this some type of parable trying to explain why we should enjoy giving our taxes to state employees who retire early while we keep on slaving away?

So make everyone slave away is the answer! Race to the bottom!

I invest in my own retirement. Why should I pay for someone else's retirement?

Well bully for you.

I'll bet you have running water in your home. Why should you have to pay to keep an active fire department...

So make everyone slave away is the answer! Race to the bottom!

I invest in my own retirement. Why should I pay for someone else's retirement?

Well bully for you.

I'll bet you have running water in your home. Why should you have to pay to keep an active fire department...

Tell me how paying firefighters while they are working is the same as funding their retirements.

And I'd really like to know what running water has to do with anything in this thread.

Correct, hourly do, salaried dont. When has this been different? I thought you said there was a change.

That is normal, and salaried people get other benefits, if they leave early or miss a day, it doesnt dock your pay, ect.

I mean you're rich CEOs are salaried are they not? Do they get OT like an hourly employee, nope, but they get paid lots of money.

so I guess what is your point with that? And when did republicans change that?

And again what are you supposed to get with seniority?

True, but salaried people generally also have a bonus structure and comp times. 40 hour work weeks are for those folks who don't mind a middle-class existence (not intended to disparage anyone) I of course exclude public employees from this idea of middle class- since their salaries are structured to include all kinds of benefits that their private sector counterparts don't enjoy- most especially a pension.

I'm on salary. I don't get a bonus. Because my employer is a dick. Man, I wish there was some way that my fellow employees and I could come together and ask collectively to be treated equally...

I'm on salary. I don't get a bonus. Because my employer is a dick. Man, I wish there was some way that my fellow employees and I could come together and ask collectively to be treated equally...
Or maybe you could get off your dead ass and find another job or start your own business.

A bundle of sticks...hmmmmmm maybe Boop can tell us, lest we be mean and say something incorrect. Plus Boop loves bundle of sticks, even though she doesnt know what they're about.

Or maybe you could get off your dead ass and find another job or start your own business.

Or be like Mitt and ask my Daddy to start one for me?

And yay! Homophobic epithets! It's like 1987 up in this bitch! Which is probably when most of you Conservatives last felt like you really in charge, so I understand your obsession with that time.

Forum List

Back