Simple Point Missing in the Union threads

I'm on salary. I don't get a bonus. Because my employer is a dick. Man, I wish there was some way that my fellow employees and I could come together and ask collectively to be treated equally...
Or maybe you could get off your dead ass and find another job or start your own business.

Or be like Mitt and ask my Daddy to start one for me?

And yay! Homophobic epithets! It's like 1987 up in this bitch! Which is probably when most of you Conservatives last felt like you really in charge, so I understand your obsession with that time.
Oh, so you're all about envy, covetousness and victimhood...Glad we cleared that up.

Or maybe you could get off your dead ass and find another job or start your own business.

And yay! Homophobic epithets! It's like 1987 up in this bitch! Which is probably when most of you Conservatives last felt like you really in charge, so I understand your obsession with that time.
Oh, so you're all about envy, covetousness and victimhood...Glad we cleared that up.

Well, Conservatives have been envious of Obama's popularity, covetous of the White House, and have been certainly playing the victim card about how poor and downtrodden the white man is for oh, I don't know, 25 years or so now. So maybe we're just borrowing a page from your playbook?

I'm on salary. I don't get a bonus. Because my employer is a dick. Man, I wish there was some way that my fellow employees and I could come together and ask collectively to be treated equally...

Ok, so Bill Gates inherited Microsoft from his daddy, and Zuckerbuer inherited Facebook, oh wait they actually built those companies and OMG they didnt have union help, NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And are you gay or just happy? and yeah I love 1987 so you can Pour Some Sugar on that, bitch!

Ahh!!

The reliable "all or nothing" argument
:clap2:

To a degree, there's a point.

Half those things a lot of us don't have anymore. The result of 40 years of chipping away at what unions won.

I don't get overtime, I don't have seniority rights, and hell knows what else they'd take away if given the oppurtunity.

you dont get overtime? Well change companies then bro. I do get it. YAY for me!!
Senority, what are you supposed to get with that?
When did republicans get rid of senority or OT?

Well, nope, I'm on salary. So I don't work one minute over 40 hours if I don't have to.

The point is, you wouldn't get time and a half for OT if some unions guy didn't brave bullets and thugs to get it for you.

True, but salaried people generally also have a bonus structure and comp times. 40 hour work weeks are for those folks who don't mind a middle-class existence (not intended to disparage anyone) I of course exclude public employees from this idea of middle class- since their salaries are structured to include all kinds of benefits that their private sector counterparts don't enjoy- most especially a pension.

So your a fool who works in a salaried position with no bonus structure... go figure.

I would think if you were bright and talented enough you could easily rectify your circumstances by taking your talents to another employer...OH WAIT- our campaigner in chief has not created all those jobs he promised...

So what kind of company has a salaried position that has no bonus structure...please inform?

True, but salaried people generally also have a bonus structure and comp times. 40 hour work weeks are for those folks who don't mind a middle-class existence (not intended to disparage anyone) I of course exclude public employees from this idea of middle class- since their salaries are structured to include all kinds of benefits that their private sector counterparts don't enjoy- most especially a pension.

So your a fool who works in a salaried position with no bonus structure... go figure.

I would think if you were bright and talented enough you could easily rectify your circumstances by taking your talents to another employer...OH WAIT- our campaigner in chief has not created all those jobs he promised...

So what kind of company has a salaried position that has no bonus structure...please inform?
It's easier to moan-n-groan on the interwebz than it is to go get another job. ;)

To a degree, there's a point.

Half those things a lot of us don't have anymore. The result of 40 years of chipping away at what unions won.

I don't get overtime, I don't have seniority rights, and hell knows what else they'd take away if given the oppurtunity.

you dont get overtime? Well change companies then bro. I do get it. YAY for me!!
Senority, what are you supposed to get with that?
When did republicans get rid of senority or OT?

Well, nope, I'm on salary. So I don't work one minute over 40 hours if I don't have to.

The point is, you wouldn't get time and a half for OT if some unions guy didn't brave bullets and thugs to get it for you.

That's great, maybe at one point they were needed, now they are the equivalent of NATO. Just because you start an orginization, doesnt mean it HAS to exist.
What are the unions fighting for now?

And why do they require dos. I would think they could tell employees if you give us dues, we'll do x for you.

Instead they just require it the minute you start working for company x and then back groups for gay marriage, abortion, and alot of crap I dont want or need.

so again what do unions do?

Last edited:
union-card-not_5.jpg

You can have a union as long as it is not a public employee union. Extortion of taxpayers is a union benefit I do not want.

If your private sector union drives up prices to high I can always refuse your goods & services or buy goods elsewhere. I draw the line when government unions are able to send the law to take my property or force me to pay for their benefits. No union pensions or benifits should ever be backed by the tax payers!!!

Last edited:

It's easier to moan-n-groan on the interwebz than it is to go get another job. ;)

Well, in fairness. It may not be entirely his fault.

Maybe ALL he can figure to do is moan and groan and blame "the man." I mean, it stands to reason he'd be a kind of low IQ type feller. He's a lib, after all.

Maybe ALL he can figure to do is moan and groan and blame "the man." I mean, it stands to reason he'd be a kind of low IQ type feller. He's a lib, after all.

Very true, it's hard to fill out those applications online. You have to know how to read, and you have to make a resumee....GOD it's almost as difficult as getting an ID to vote. WAAAAY too hard

And if you havent figured out how to fleece the taxpayer to get a computer and internet, you might have to actually drive to the work place. Now I can sympathize since the democrats are so for the working man they want high ass gas prices to save the Earth

Last edited:

No, you're an uppity bitch who thinks she knows everything. My employer doesn't do bonuses, and very few do anymore. Because you know, companies don't feel like they need to treat their employees well anymore since they don't fear their workforce walking out on them if they're abused. Funny how that works, huh?

I know, and after W created all those jobs the last two years of his second term, right? What a dick Obama is! He ruined that great economy that Bush left us with!

No, I won't be sharing that kind of personal information with you. But I'll reveal this tidbit: we're one of the few companies in the country who was in a position to do well in this economy because we deal with the cleanup of the housing implosion. So there's plenty of money to go around, but strangely the executives at the top aren't sharing.

Which really baffles me because Republicans tell us how awesome rich people are all the time.

That's great, maybe at one point they were needed, now they are the equivalent of NATO. Just because you start an orginization, doesnt mean it HAS to exist.What are the unions fighting for now?

And why do they require dos. I would think they could tell employees if you give us dues, we'll do x for you.

Instead they just require it the minute you start working for company x and then back groups for gay marriage, abortion, and alot of crap I dont want or need.

so again what do unions do?

I think you kind of picked a bad example. NATO makes no sense now because there is no longer a Soviet Union. There are 20 or so countries, some of which are actually IN NATO now.

For unions, there are still bad bosses, greedy corporations and unsafe working conditions.

Until they cease to exist, then, yup, I would agree, at that point, unions would be completely unneeded. Unions are the result of bad management, usually.

I've been working in the civilian world for 20 years now. Worked at a total of five companies and some temp contracts. I would say out of some dozen bosses I've had, maybe two of them were barely even worthy of my respect. Some barely qualified as decent human beings.

Very true, it's hard to fill out those applications online. You have to know how to read, and you have to make a resumee....GOD it's almost as difficult as getting an ID to vote. WAAAAY too hard

And if you havent figured out how to fleece the taxpayer to get a computer and internet, you might have to actually drive to the work place. Now I can sympathize since the democrats are so for the working man they want high ass gas prices to save the Earth

Telecommuting happens now, Grandpa. You don't even NEED to have a car to have a good paying job! Isn't weird how those nerdy liberal fags up in Silicon Valley have made life EASIER for mankind?

No, you're an uppity bitch who thinks she knows everything. My employer doesn't do bonuses, and very few do anymore. Because you know, companies don't feel like they need to treat their employees well anymore since they don't fear their workforce walking out on them if they're abused. Funny how that works, huh?

I know, and after W created all those jobs the last two years of his second term, right? What a dick Obama is! He ruined that great economy that Bush left us with!

No, I won't be sharing that kind of personal information with you. But I'll reveal this tidbit: we're one of the few companies in the country who was in a position to do well in this economy because we deal with the cleanup of the housing implosion. So there's plenty of money to go around, but strangely the executives at the top aren't sharing.

Which really baffles me because Republicans tell us how awesome rich people are all the time.

So, you're a janitor?

So, you're a janitor?

Considering I clean up the slime left over from the bankers fucking over America, that's pretty apt.

But why should he have to do that? Why not just have employers keep their word?

I haven't worked for anyone who hasn't lied to me at least once. I doubt anyone else here has, either, if they are being honest.

Unions are necessary to level the playing field. Nothing more, nothing less. If it was a level playing field to start with, there wouldn't be an issue.

But since 1980, worker salaries have remained flat (after adjusting for inflation) while Executive Salaries have increased from 44 times what a line worker makes to 470 times what a line worker makes. This is certainly not a case of rewarding management, it's just putting the wrong people in charge of the cookie jar.

And they want you to fight over the last cookie.

But why should he have to do that? Why not just have employers keep their word?

I haven't worked for anyone who hasn't lied to me at least once. I doubt anyone else here has, either, if they are being honest.

Unions are necessary to level the playing field. Nothing more, nothing less. If it was a level playing field to start with, there wouldn't be an issue.

But since 1980, worker salaries have remained flat (after adjusting for inflation) while Executive Salaries have increased from 44 times what a line worker makes to 470 times what a line worker makes. This is certainly not a case of rewarding management, it's just putting the wrong people in charge of the cookie jar.

And they want you to fight over the last cookie.
Did employer make any promise to hand out bonuses?

In any case, if your job sucks the only one with any control to positively change that situation is you.....Whining-n-crying on the innertubes don't pay the bills.

So, you're a janitor?

Considering I clean up the slime left over from the bankers fucking over America, that's pretty apt.

A regular mop and pail r-us guy... kind of figured. Nothing wrong with that-

Why We Need Unions

If you've ever asked for a raise at work, you should understand the concept of leverage: to the extent that your employer needs you, you have it, and you're able to get something (increased wages) for it; to the extent that your employer considers you replaceable, you lack it, and therefore have no way to improve your own position. In the retail and service industries, employees lack leverage almost by definition. Anyone who makes trouble can simply be tossed out and replaced. Unions give those employees leverage. That leverage is a means to a fair wage. Not an outrageous, outsized wage; a fair wage. Any union that bankrupts the parent company is a failure, because all the union members end up unemployed. It is in the interest of unions to achieve the best possible conditions for workers that still allow the company to flourish. A union does not throw off the balance of power in the workplace—lack of a union does.

Large corporations are machines designed to make money for shareholders. They do it well. To expect them to do anything but minimize wages and maximize profit is to misunderstand their nature. The most basic sense of decency and respect for human rights dictates that there must be some mechanism by which the workers—the humans—can assert their interests. Otherwise they will be crushed by the machine. It's all very plain to see.

A farmer who had a quarrelsome family called his sons and told them to lay a bunch of sticks before him.

Then, after laying the sticks parallel to one another and binding them, he challenged his sons, one after one, to pick up the bundle and break it.

They all tried, but in vain.

Then, untying the bundle, he gave them the sticks to break one by one. This they did with the greatest ease.

Then said the father, "Thus, my sons, as long as you remain united, you are a match for anything, but differ and separate, and you are undone."

Take two posts and make one a bundle of sticks and the other one stick. Which do you think will be strongest?

Forcing people into union whether they want them or not and using the money confiscated from members to support certail political candidates doesn't fit into the rosy little scenario you are trying to paint.

Does being relevant and helpful in the past mean that unions can do whatever they want now? Have they somehow earned the right to become self-serving and do they have the right to force people to join them? They can be downright nasty when they don't get their way. They aren't what they were in the beginning. Once the goal had been reached and equal opportunity and fair pay were legislated, the need for unions ceased to exist. They are in it for themselves now, not the workers.

If their only goal was to help workers, why would they take so much in union dues? And why would they use all that money to support campaigns? They are simply political money machines now. The public union members get paid with tax money and a good chunk goes right to unions. So, it's just a way to funnel tax payer money into the Democrat party coffers. It needs to stop.

Forum List

Back