Siamese fighting fish

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
They are cheap enough, about $4.00 in a pet shop. I have had a nice red one for a couple of months that I bought on a whim while shopping for dog food. They are air breathers so they can be confined in a tiny cup for display and they seem to survive. I put mine in a pretty substantial glass thing about 12 inches across and he seems happy. Rumor has it that they attack and kill their own species and other fish so they are doomed to be solitary. I put a couple polywogs from a tiny pond and they disappeared. Anybody know if you can put another fish in without a deadly fight? You almost gotta laugh, I bought a small container of "tetra-betta" pellets and I feed about three per day and by my calculations I have about 25 years worth of feed at that rate. Sounds like the ideal pet.

"... he seems happy ..."

"... the ideal pet ... "

Yeah, an animals that was meant to swim free, crammed into a tiny cramped little "tank" where he can hardly turn around.

Sure. Sounds like a really happy "pet" to me.

And, you're right. At $4, you can always buy another when that one kicks off.

I wonder - at what age do human beings cease to able to actually FEEL?

:cheeky-smiley-018:

Would the fish exist if it wasn't for the market for them. I like the little guy and we can go into a philosophical debate about $4.00 pets if you want to.

Get another one and put it in another bowl but side by side. That way they won't feel so all alone and can't kill each other.

Personally...I think they are gorgeous but I feel bad for them being all by themselves.

Would the fish exist if it wasn't for the market for them. I like the little guy and we can go into a philosophical debate about $4.00 pets if you want to.

So, a dead existence in a tiny bowl is better than no existing at all?

Maybe so. It is, after all, only a fish.

But, once we start saying that a lifetime of solitary confinement is okay for a fish, its a small step to say its okay for other animals.

Nope. No animal belongs in such an ugly, sterile jail.

Whether its a human being in a federal prison or a wild animal in a cage being stared at my human beings - its just not right.

Human beings should be better than that.

You miss the point. I don't want to kill the critter but he wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for the non government scientific breeding of the beautiful fish for profit. Lucky they are too small to eat. I try not to make his jail either ugly or sterile. If you want to make a case for animal rights you really don't want to consider Obama's executive order that extended the permit to kill endangered birds for 30 freaking years (eagles, condors) in windmills. I'm just a fish guy. why pick on me?

A few years ago I got one somehow and since I have a 38 gal aquarium I thought he'd be ok in there.

I also have african cichlids which are very aggressive (hmmm..aggressive africans...imagine that) but I figured what the heck it's a fighting fish..he'll be ok. I was wrong...I felt bad, too.

Local yard sale, find a 18" to 2 foot tank for under $10. Get some vegetation at a local pet store, and get him a FEMALE! Interesting to see them mate, and build a BUBBLE NEST. A few other things to do that you can find with a search engine, but they can live a few years under the right conditions!

You miss the point. I don't want to kill the critter but he wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for the non government scientific breeding of the beautiful fish for profit. Lucky they are too small to eat. I try not to make his jail either ugly or sterile. If you want to make a case for animal rights you really don't want to consider Obama's executive order that extended the permit to kill endangered birds for 30 freaking years (eagles, condors) in windmills. I'm just a fish guy. why pick on me?

Disregard him..This place is a substitute for anger management therapy for people like him.
I'll bet he eats plenty of meat...go look at a slaughterhouse video and ask him which is worse..keeping a fish or the wholesale assemblyline, brutal slaughter of thousands of animals per day.

Keeping fish is fine.

I want a gold fish. Maybe two. In a regular ol fishbowl with maybe a plant on one side and a small light on top. I think during my sleepless nights, I might dose off watching them swim around.

A fish tank is cheap enough but I don't want to go into the business. I just want a well adjusted fish. Thanks rotagilla but if left wingers want to turn everything into a political argument it's a trap they set for themselves and they end up looking like bigger fools than they are.

I have an outside small pond with an artificial rubber liner with coi and that's another issue. There is no shortage of pond moss and the little guy seems to thrive on it. In the temperate mountain east coast climate the fish thrive under a couple of inches of ice for a couple of months but so far the Betta has yet to endure a cold inside winter.

Oh for Pete's sake.

This is like the idiots who say vegetarianism will result in the extinction of domestic "food" animals.

Neither they nor your fish are natural life forms. Strictly speaking, they don't belong on this planet and would not be missed if they died off.

And, FYI, I don't believe in animal "rights". Now before you go off another senseless tangent, notice the word, "RIGHTS" That's key.

Throwing a lie about Obama didn't really hep your cause.

Its k-o-i -- not coi.

Disregard him..This place is a substitute for anger management therapy for people like him.
I'll bet he eats plenty of meat...go look at a slaughterhouse video and ask him which is worse..keeping a fish or the wholesale assemblyline, brutal slaughter of thousands of animals per day.

Keeping fish is fine.

I have posted repeatedly about the assembly line that is our food production and assholes like you have called me plenty of names for it. I've been vegetarian for more than 30 years. I say vegetarian because, although we're vegan at home, we do occasionally eat eggs/dairy when we travel. Its far from perfect but no, I don't eat or wear animals.

You say keeping fish is fine but you do not speak for everyone.

Sorry kiddies, I'm just not in the mood for RWs lies today - as in, it wasn't me who said keeping a frikken fish tank is some sort of political stand.

Idiot.

Keeping fish is fine.

I have posted repeatedly about the assembly line that is our food production and assholes like you have called me plenty of names for it. I've been vegetarian for more than 30 years. I say vegetarian because, although we're vegan at home, we do occasionally eat eggs/dairy when we travel. Its far from perfect but no, I don't eat or wear animals.

You say keeping fish is fine but you do not speak for everyone.

Sorry kiddies, I'm just not in the mood for RWs lies today - as in, it wasn't me who said keeping a frikken fish tank is some sort of political stand.

Idiot.

I notice you project a lot when you get frustrated and angry.

Speaking of fish tanks...I think I will go to the local pet store and see about my goldfish and bowl.

So, a dead existence in a tiny bowl is better than no existing at all?

Maybe so. It is, after all, only a fish.

But, once we start saying that a lifetime of solitary confinement is okay for a fish, its a small step to say its okay for other animals.

Nope. No animal belongs in such an ugly, sterile jail.

Whether its a human being in a federal prison or a wild animal in a cage being stared at my human beings - its just not right.

Human beings should be better than that.

For the most part, fish are perfectly content in a tank, and most live longer in captivity.

They don't seem to know the difference either.

That said..Whitehall may want to make it a bit more interesting for the little guy. Add some aquarium chakas like rocks and plants.

I read somewhere that if you put the bowl near a mirror, it will think it is another fish and flare more often. But...I think that would be kinda mean. Like poking a sleeping bear all the time just to see it get pissed off. :(

Forum List

Back