Should we blacks celebrate 4th of July? Not this escaped slave!

Bass,
I'll gladly start a fund to pay reparations, for every day that YOU, PERSONALLY, were a slave, and/or for every slave I ever PERSONALLY owned. Since neither of us is 150 years old, I think it's safe to say the balance due will be exactly....$.00. The only way you could ever be remotely considered an "escaped slave", is if you were to run away from Marse Barry's Liberal Plantation, and I don't imagine that is very likely.

Now then, one of the great things about America is, that if you don't wish to celebrate Independence Day, all you will do, is miss the fun. You're not going to be shot for it, persecuted for it, or hauled off to the gulag for it; matter of fact, you likely won't even get too much criticism for it. On balance, I have to say I think that's your loss, but everyone to his own cup of whatever. I'm sorry you feel that way, but no one else is going to be hurt by it (not even those you resent), and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I asked a simple question that you're not able to answer, the fact of the matter is that 4th of July didn't matter to blacks because it had nothing to do with our freedom and Independence so why should we celebrate a holiday that didn't and doesn't apply to all Americans? Its no gain for me to celebrate it so its no loss not to.

You were not free for the first 16 years of your life, but you still celebrate your own birthday (assuming you are happy with your life). Well, today is America’s birthday; if you love this country then it’s time to celebrate. If you hate America, this is not the Soviet Union, you are free to book the next flight back to Africa.

Because this is your country you ungrateful dolt.
America is the greatest experiment mankind has undertaken. It's contribution to the world both historically and current is immeasurable.

You should be proud to be a part of it. If not then denounce your citizenship and catch the next flight out.

Still no reasons given, this frustration is growing, maybe it has something to do with the fact that admitting that blacks have no reasons to celebrate 4th of July makes whites feel guilty about their ancestors so calling blacks who don't celebrate it ungrateful and angry at the past is their way of projecting that guilt.

I don't feel guilty for sh*t.
If you don't want to celebrate the 4th -- then don't.
Perhaps it is your own guilt feelings as to why you are not proud to be a member of this great country, perhaps you do nothing to justify your existence in it. Perhaps due to your own misguided poor judgements that your life is not what you expected and want to blame everyone but yourself for your troubles.
Perhaps you are angry that you have to make your own way to get what you want, that no one is going to give it to you simply because you want it - or some misguided belief that you deserve it.
Grow up. Count your blessings, if you don't have many to be thankful for - then go out and create things to be thankful for.

Bass,
I'll gladly start a fund to pay reparations, for every day that YOU, PERSONALLY, were a slave, and/or for every slave I ever PERSONALLY owned. Since neither of us is 150 years old, I think it's safe to say the balance due will be exactly....$.00. The only way you could ever be remotely considered an "escaped slave", is if you were to run away from Marse Barry's Liberal Plantation, and I don't imagine that is very likely.

Now then, one of the great things about America is, that if you don't wish to celebrate Independence Day, all you will do, is miss the fun. You're not going to be shot for it, persecuted for it, or hauled off to the gulag for it; matter of fact, you likely won't even get too much criticism for it. On balance, I have to say I think that's your loss, but everyone to his own cup of whatever. I'm sorry you feel that way, but no one else is going to be hurt by it (not even those you resent), and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I asked a simple question that you're not able to answer, the fact of the matter is that 4th of July didn't matter to blacks because it had nothing to do with our freedom and Independence so why should we celebrate a holiday that didn't and doesn't apply to all Americans? Its no gain for me to celebrate it so its no loss not to.

You were not free for the first 16 years of your life, but you still celebrate your own birthday (assuming you are happy with your life). Well, today is America’s birthday; if you love this country then it’s time to celebrate. If you hate America, this is not the Soviet Union, you are free to book the next flight back to Africa.

Still no answers and I'm not an African immigrant, my ancestors have been here for since the late 1700s, I traced it, so no need for me to go back to Africa because I refuse to celebrate a holiday that holds no relevance nor positives for blacks.

All I see is frustrated people coming up with strawmen arguments borne out of their anger at the fact that they cannot give any reasons why blacks should celebrate the Independence of American whites from the British Crown at a time when the ancestors of blacks were still slaves and at a time when even free blacks didn't enjoy the same rights as free whites . This frustration is making me laugh.

I haven't read the thread, but the obvious answer is:

Because they're Americans.

If you don't consider yourself an American, get the hell out.

Independence was won for this entire nation.

Under British rule we were ALL subjects of the crown. see:slave

Our country broke loose from that rule and through that independence we were (even if it did take a while) able to secure freedom from slavery for our black citizenry.

If you can't take a reflective moment to appreciate that and eat a hot dog, that is your problem alone.
We don't care to hear your whining petty bullshit, "po' me".

:cuckoo:

Our country broke loose from that rule and through that independence we were (even if it did take a while) able to secure freedom from slavery for our black citizenry.

If you can't take a reflective moment to appreciate that and eat a hot dog, that is your problem alone.

My ancestors were slaves before and after independence, so what you aid has no relevance for blacks, endgame.

My ancestors were slaves before and after independence, so what you aid has no relevance for blacks, endgame.

Still no answer to Post #143?

Translation:
I'll keep my head up my ass regardless of what anybody says.

Almost a week from now I will be commemorating the death of Minnie Riperton, who died in 1979 at the age of 31 by spinning her records at an old school music party here in France, she is far more meaningful to me than some irrelevant 4th of July holiday.

Translation:
I'll keep my head up my ass regardless of what anybody says.

Translation, I will sidestep the undeniable truth that the Fourth of July was a triumph for white Americans and not for blacks and will ignore that fact because to acknowldege the obvious is acknowledging that whites were evil indeed towards blacks.

Almost a week from now I will be commemorating the death of Minnie Riperton, who died in 1979 at the age of 31 by spinning her records at an old school music party here in France, she is far more meaningful to me than some irrelevant 4th of July holiday.

Still no answer to post #143?

Without white people Minnie Riperton would have been nothing

All I see is frustrated people coming up with strawmen arguments borne out of their anger at the fact that they cannot give any reasons why blacks should celebrate the Independence of American whites from the British Crown at a time when the ancestors of blacks were still slaves and at a time when even free blacks didn't enjoy the same rights as free whites . This frustration is making me laugh.

Like I said. I'm black first, American second.

P.S. I don't have to go anywhere and I'm not going anywhere. If you don't like my freedom on non-expression you are free to leave.

P.S. I don't have to go anywhere and I'm not going anywhere. If you don't like my freedom on non-expression you are free to leave.

I don't know what that means "black first - American second"
Why do you feel they need to be separated?
You are an American whose race happens to be black. One doesn't impede the other.

Because this is your country you ungrateful dolt.
America is the greatest experiment mankind has undertaken. It's contribution to the world both historically and current is immeasurable.

You should be proud to be a part of it. If not then denounce your citizenship and catch the next flight out.

Still no reasons given, this frustration is growing, maybe it has something to do with the fact that admitting that blacks have no reasons to celebrate 4th of July makes whites feel guilty about their ancestors so calling blacks who don't celebrate it ungrateful and angry at the past is their way of projecting that guilt.

I don't feel guilty for sh*t.
If you don't want to celebrate the 4th -- then don't.
Perhaps it is your own guilt feelings as to why you are not proud to be a member of this great country, perhaps you do nothing to justify your existence in it. Perhaps due to your own misguided poor judgements that your life is not what you expected and want to blame everyone but yourself for your troubles.
Perhaps you are angry that you have to make your own way to get what you want, that no one is going to give it to you simply because you want it - or some misguided belief that you deserve it.
Grow up. Count your blessings, if you don't have many to be thankful for - then go out and create things to be thankful for.

From my earlier post:

I find it funny that any time a black person makes a statement viewed as pro-black we are assumed to be non successful in our personal/professional lives. Isn't that a stereotype?

I don't know what that means "black first - American second"
Why do you feel they need to be separated?
You are an American whose race happens to be black. One doesn't impede the other.

If I "denounced" my citizenship and moved to Kenya, would I be an ex-American? Would I be an ex-black?

Forum List

Back