Should students at college be allowed to carry concealed firearms?

Should students at college be allowed to carry concealed firearms?

• Total voters
No. Like some kid in the cafeteria who has a concealed weapon and shoots a guy using a knife in a threatening manner but hits 3 bystanders in the process. I guarantee you the parents of the 3 bystanders would sue the school over any policy that allows concealed weapons in that situation.

that is why it would never fly in the first place. somebody is paying for the tuition.
This very thing happened back at the University of Texas back in the mid-sixties with the sniper in the clock tower.

I voted yes, Im not saying concealed weapons is the answer, but if some of those dead students had a weapon they might not be dead or why should responsible adults, not be allowed the option, key word option.

I dont trust the government, or government school to provide much. and would rather have a gun, mace, knife, or something to protect myself.

You know, the truth for me is, I like my guns. I want to own a couple of more guns. I enjoy going to the range and shooting at targets. I am comfortable with the knowledge that should some hood break into my house while I'm home I can defend my wife, my property, and myself. I believe it is my right to defend my home.

I don't want to see my right to own guns curtailed because some outcast decides he or she doesn't like the cards they are dealt and chooses to make others suffer with them. I don't want my right to own guns curtailed because some crack dealer stole or otherwise obtained one illegally and used it in a shoot out with the cops. I believe that a person who passes a background check, which is a requirement where I live, when purchasing a gun should be allowed a CCW permit.
I don't want to see gun rights go under attack either but prohibiting guns in public establishments doesn't infringe on your 2nd Amendment rights. I support your right to own a gun but we have to balance it with a concern for public safety. Airports and court houses prohibiting guns are the most obvious places where guns should be prohibited. I can't see why keeping guns restricted from schools and universities is any different.

I cant believe 6 people voted yes.

Please answer me this, 5 kids get there guns out that they brought to class for some reason. They kill this wacko, then the police barge in and its complete confusion and chaos, they dont know who the killer is you idiots! They will spray any hero with a gun before he even has a chance to say "its ok i just killed the guy!" And even worse if they witness him killing the guy they will for sure react using force. You think they are going to ask questions? Are they going to say "hey are you the killer?!?! Or did you just kill some kid with a gun!!!!

Really, 6 people voted for this. That is sad. And we wonder why america Is going down the drain. Its because people seem to be for violence and agression.

Men in uniform are the only ones that should be allowed to carry ANY weapon on campus period. To say otherwise, is juvenile, and redundant. It wont get passed, ever. Because it would put guns in the hands of people who might not be crazy, but who might decide to sell weapons to everyone. Seriously why wouldnt someone want to sell a gun to some idiot for a thousand bucks. This isnt the middle east, its america. Guns dont need to be in circulation nor do they need to be given a chance to be in circulation.

Saying "honest people are the ones who should get the guns" is like saying "rappers are the ones who should be able to offend everyone"
and saying "Only kids who dont where baggy pants and a bandana should get guns!"

We dont know who is honest, this murderer had no record. As far as anyone knows, he was honest. And got his gun from an honest arms dealer.

I voted no...

but I do not agree with your personification of those who voted yes.

I guess im the only one who thinks its extremely ridiculess to vote yes. Congress would never approve this, not in a million years.

I respect your opinion...

but I think that blaming this on the availability of guns is just as misplaced as dr phil blaming it on video games. Banning guns and games will not keep horrible travesties from happening in life.

I agree that little will change if we ban guns, but I do believe that the law we have now about "no guns on campus" is a great law, and maybe should be tweaked a little to allow campus security to have guns. I also believe that mental stability should be attached to someones background report. Dont you? Maybe when they did the background check when he bought the guns, they could have seen the warning signs from the reports after seeing a therapist at the virginia tech counceling dept. Where are those reports? I know they are confidential, but maybe that kind of stuff should not be confidential. Medical records on mental stability, should not be confidential. Who agrees?

I agree that students should not be packing on the college campus... I voted no.

and im sure the criteria for a conceal permit can be debated and decided according to each states voters....

but im not sure if trying to predict future behaviour for otherwise current law abiding people will do anything to save anyone. Sometimes people snap. Even good law abiding people. Sometimes people act in a terrible ways on a single prompted occasion that has no reflection on their prior behaviour. This sounds like a crime of passion to me. crimes of passion have been carried out with a plethora of weapons. like I said.. sometimes bad things happen regardless of hindsight what ifs...

but, again, I do agree that a federally funded campus is more like a federal building where weapons are not allowed than an alleyway where one must defend themselves...

hell...

create more campus security accross the nation and give jobs and work study programs out of a need for safety on campus.. arm THOSE people.

ps.. predicting according to medical records seems alittle Minority Reportish to me... and I dont mean the lame assed movie either...

Oh yeah, great law. Worked fantastically yesterday :rolleyes:

You'd have to be either an idiot or a DemoKKKrat (redundant, I know) to believe that nonsense. Dumbass.

Please dont reply to me, I will not argue with a lower life form of debate. Especially one with no common sense. Your argument lacks one important thing, an educated opinion. Please do not respond to this, I would like to debate someone with common knowledge and or education. Perhaps some class too.

Please dont reply to me, I will not argue with a lower life form of debate. Especially one with no common sense. Your argument lacks one important thing, an educated opinion. Please do not respond to this, I would like to debate someone with common knowledge and or education. Perhaps some class too.

Well perhaps poorly stated he does have a point. I would imagine there was a no guns on campus law at VA Tech. Honestly tell me what you think it positively accomplished in this instance.

Neither of us can pretend to know what other scenarios may or may not have played out had another student had access to a gun. There are simply far too many variables. Though on the the extreme ends I suppose one side would like to think that an armed student would have ended the student's rampage before the death toll got to where it got. And at the other extreme one side imagines an even higher body count than what happened if another student had access to a gun.

You asked for poeple with common knowledge. you'll have take my word that I have common knowledge of guns. Do you?

There have been a couple of foiled plots you realize that were foiled by teachers who happened to have a gun. One of you lefties get busy and look that up.

VT is a "Gun Free Zone". I wasn't shooting from the hip - anyone who thinks that laws banning students with CCW permits from carrying on their campuses are a "great idea" is a fucking retard. Especially in light of yesterday's events.

My IQ is greater than the cumulative IQ of Vintij, his grandparents, parents and siblings.

I have a Bachelor of Science degree from one of the best universities in the country.

I could give a fuck about displaying any class.

VT is a "Gun Free Zone". I wasn't shooting from the hip - anyone who thinks that laws banning students with CCW permits from carrying on their campuses are a "great idea" is a fucking retard. Especially in light of yesterday's events.

My IQ is greater than the cumulative IQ of Vintij, his grandparents, parents and siblings.

I have a Bachelor of Science degree from one of the best universities in the country.

I could give a fuck about displaying any class.

And you own guns.

A city police annex located just off campus would be a good start to at least shorten response time.

I think they should. However, I think if they do they should register with the school so campus is aware of it.

I think they should. However, I think if they do they should register with the school so campus is aware of it.

Of course they should be allowed to carry concealed weapons

The liberal media and anti gun nuts are not waiting a second to push their agenda

Now the shooter is not really to blame - it is the lack of gun laws

MSNBC's David Shuster Promises to Examine Gun Policies That 'Enabled' Killer
Posted by Geoffrey Dickens on April 17, 2007 - 17:22.
Substitute hosting for Chris Matthews on last night's Hardball it didn't take long for David Shuster to bring up the specter of gun control in the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting. Shuster indicated that gun policies actually "enabled" the shooter to obtain his "weapons of choice." The following was Shuster's intro for the April 16th edition of "Hardball."

David Shuster: "At this hour, investigators are still trying to piece together what happened this morning on the Virginia Tech campus. Tonight, we will tell you everything we've learned about the killer's motive. We will bring you the most gripping interviews we have seen today from students who witnessed the rampage and tried to block the killer's path. And you will hear live from witnesses who saw the aftermath. Many questions are lingering tonight about the response by campus police, warnings to Virginia Tech students, even gun policies that enabled the killer to get his hands on his weapons of choice. But we start tonight with a campus community was rocked to its core and asking the question, why us?"

Due to live coverage of a press conference and interviews with guest about the events of the day that was the only mention of gun policy on the show but somehow I think Hardball will find the time in future editions to hit the gun control angle.

http://newsbusters.org/node/12101

vtech9523bs7.jpg

Forum List

Back