Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

I am in favor of people not getting sued because they act on their beliefs. For the record I am against public accomodation laws of all kinds as well as an infringement on rights of property and association.
You'e already stated you have no principles other than Gimme.

Great! Me too. Let's get rid of them. Fuck the cripples and the religious crazies. I don't want them in my establishment.

Of course, PA laws have already been challenged and found Constitutional so while I do support your effort to get rid of these laws, I'm going to have to just cheer lead from the sidelines. Best of luck.

In the meantime...don't break the law and you won't get sued.

I refused to paint the portrait of a lesbian couple. I got sued. I won. How do you figure that happened? Didn't I break the law?

Businesses just have to be more clever about following their beliefs. They have to find ways of following the exact letter of the law while still maintaining their integrity. My mechanic does it. He refuses to work for black people. He made a business decision that mechanic services to blacks was more trouble than it was worth. The Civil Rights laws don't apply to him.

These laws and lawsuits only serve to deepen the divisions already present. Gays won't get anything they aren't entitled to get and they are not entitled to the services of someone else. We haven't had slavery in this country for a long time now.

No. You have the right to refuse any one service at any time. The burden is on the offended party to prove it. That would be an interesting one to go over.

"We are gay and getting married and we are going to force you to work there"
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
A wedding is planned months ahead of time. With the hundreds of businesses wanting the work NO ONE will want to hire someone or some company that does not want to be there.
You people do not think before you post this nonsense.

If you were dealing with people who didnt have an agenda you'd be correct. But the homo lobby wants to punish anyone who doesnt see it their way. They will seek out the little baker or caterer with a strong Christian affiliation and make an example out of them. We've already seen it.

So since a very few will do that you want to punish all of them for the actions of a few.
Same as SOME Christians will not shop at Jewish businesses, deny Muslim mosques building permits in their cities and many other things that are done wrong.
You support punishing everyone for the actions of a few.
Respectfully, that is exactly what you want to do and it is wrong to punish an entire group of people based on the actions of very few.
Claiming ALL gays and lesbians want to do that is absurd.

I dont want to punish anyone. That's you. I feel people should be free to contract for whatever services or good they want. Or not contract. You're the one who wants to force a business owner to do business against his will. That would make you the fascist power-wielding statist of this discussion.

Why are you going away from the topic of public accommodation laws?

was this because of "public accommodation laws"......?

During the recent Muslim holy month of Ramadan, teachers in Metro Nashville schools were actually ordered to release Muslim students from class at certain times -- to go to unused classrooms or offices -- so that they could attend to their Muslim prayers.

A school spokesman says that, because the prayers are supposed to be uttered at designated times, that makes Muslim prayers different from Christian prayers.

As a result, the school system tries to accommodate their religious traditions.

Muslim Prayers Allowed in Metro Schools - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

The 1st violates religious neutrality, the 2nd does not. If a Christian said they needed a prayer room to pray in private like Jesus told them to, and demanded one, the school would have to accommodate them too. There is no special treatment going on.

thanks for making the case for Christian prayer in public schools....:up:

now all Christians have to do is identify which rooms will be their 'prayer rooms' at certain times (which will take up lots of rooms since there are lots of Christians)....since you believe in 'accomodation' for all religions (including sexual identity)...

The 1st violates religious neutrality, the 2nd does not. If a Christian said they needed a prayer room to pray in private like Jesus told them to, and demanded one, the school would have to accommodate them too. There is no special treatment going on.

now all Christians have to do is identify which rooms will be their 'prayer rooms' at certain times (which will take up lots of rooms since there are lots of Christians)....since you believe in 'accomodation' for all religions (including sexual identity)...
Christians are already accommodated. No school on Sundays.

Sunday is for church.....like Muslims Christians pray every day....sometimes even every hour....

There is no law prohibiting it. Christian students are free to pray whenever and wherever they like. If they were to actually follow the teachings of Jesus and pray in private like he directs and they demanded a private prayer room to do it in, the school would accommodate their needs equally.

BTW, there is a difference between proselytizing and praying.

there is also a difference between freedom OF religion and freedom FROM religion. If a local school district wants a prayer at the beginning of the school day they should be able to do that without the federal government telling them not to.

The constitution does not require that we all act and believe the same. It certainly does not require that we all abandon religion and accept gay marriage as normal.

There is no law prohibiting it. Christian students are free to pray whenever and wherever they like. If they were to actually follow the teachings of Jesus and pray in private like he directs and they demanded a private prayer room to do it in, the school would accommodate their needs equally.

so you think the schools should 'accomodate' and provide a prayer room for each religion that requests one...?

gosh....i thought you lefties declared that public schools should be secular....:cuckoo:

Sunday is for church.....like Muslims Christians pray every day....sometimes even every hour....

Uh...no. But thanks for showing what you DON'T know.

so you think the schools should 'accomodate' and provide a prayer room for each religion that requests one...?

gosh....i thought you lefties declared that public schools should be secular....:cuckoo:

They still would be. Praying in private is not the same as preaching in public.

Give people the freedom to choose.

If I own a cake business and I choose not to sell to certain people, I shouldn't be threatened with fines or jail time.

Where is my America? What happened to the land of the free?

Forum List

Back