Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.

On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.
There ya go, there's that "tolerance" the fascists on the left keep telling us about.

I don't think anybody should be forced to provide a service for somebody they disagree with if they don't want to. I could care less if a store refused service to a minority as well. You have your right to be a bigot, and I have my right to not frequent your business because of it.

As far as public schools teaching gay marriage is normal, I agree they should have to. They should have been able to teach that it was normal from the very beginning.

suing everyday people for not offering services is going to set the precedence for suing churches, temples, mosqs, etc, etc

Everyone knows this will happen or is a complete buffoon.

• Banned

I don't think anybody should be forced to provide a service for somebody they disagree with if they don't want to. I could care less if a store refused service to a minority as well. You have your right to be a bigot, and I have my right to not frequent your business because of it.

As far as public schools teaching gay marriage is normal, I agree they should have to. They should have been able to teach that it was normal from the very beginning.

Why should they have been able to teach that something which wasn't normal was normal?

Edit: Let me phrase that in a more open-minded way: During which time periods has gay marriage been normal?

Why should they have been able to teach that something which wasn't normal was normal?

Because gay marriage never should have been prohibited in the first place.

Being opposed to homosexuality, and as a Christian; no we should not be made to cater a wedding to people who represent an affront to our faith. As far as everyday life and business is concerned, there's no reason to discriminate against them. Their money is just as good as the next guy. However, I cannot sit by and watch as our government blurs the definition of a family, or of the institution of marriage as defined in the Bible. It cannot arbitrarily fine or imprison someone for holding true to their belief.

You may not have seen my edit.

Even if gay marriage should not have been prohibited, that doesn't mean it was normal, so why should schools teach that it was?

That brings me to the question in my edit: During which time periods has gay marriage been normal?

No one should be punished for refusing to perform a service for someone with which they have a profound religious objection.

Yesterday there was a HUGE gay pride event celebrating same sex marriage. Vendors from bakeries, photographers, florists, caterers, wedding planners, wardrobe rentals, absolutely every aspect of a wedding, including venues, halls, churches, beach sites, forest sites, everything you could possible imagine were there. All advertising and vying for the money now available from gay nuptials. Gays don't want them. They want to find the one little guy who prays and hound them out of business.

No decent parent would send their child to public school anyway. May as well kick the kid to the curb in kindergarten and be done with it.

People were smart back then. They knew was the definition of a marriage was.

Even if gay marriage should not have been prohibited, that doesn't mean it was normal, so why should schools teach that it was?

That brings me to the question in my edit: During which time periods has gay marriage been normal?

Just prior to the fall of historically great civilizations, gay marriage was considered normal.

Edit: Let me phrase that in a more open-minded way: During which time periods has gay marriage been normal?

Gay marriage is normal because the government says it is, not because 38 other American States say otherwise.

Last edited:

It's gay bullying.

Gay marriage is normal because the government says it is, not because 32 other American States say otherwise.

Because the government IS God now.

What percent of the U.S. population is gay? | ChaCha

3%

The Gay Population - Gay Population Statistics In The United States

How many gay people are there in the United States?
The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, a sexual orientation law and public policy think tank, estimates that 9 million (about 3.8%) of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender (2011). The institute also found that bisexuals make up 1.8% of the population, while 1.7% are gay or lesbian. Transgender adults make up 0.3% of the population.

That's at least 40% from being considered normal, I'd say.

Like most things, it boils down to property rights. If I'm a baker who makes wedding cakes, who can force me to sell my property, the cake, to somebody I'd rather not, regardless of the reason? Well, the government, of course, but do they have that right? Not even remotely. Now, it's bad business to turn away customers, but if you choose to do so then nobody has the right to stop you.

The argument, however, will go that because they're open to the public they don't have the right to discriminate against who they sell their property to. Not a particularly persuasive argument, but I think it will eventually win the day.

Society has never considered gay marriage "normal", that I know of. It doesn't make society right. There was a time when interracial marriages weren't considered normal. There was a time when marriages between the upper and lower class weren't considered normal. What society believes is usually dictated by what their government tells them is normal, and it's the "small government" Republicans who are usually opposed to gay marriage. When gay marriage has been legal for a few decades people will begin to refer to it as normal, because the "all-knowing government" told them it was.

The way to solve the issue of bakers, is that the baker can bake the cake, but it has to be contracted out for decorating and construction for all weddings. Those tiered wedding cakes don't go up easy. It would be relatively simple.

Reduce the price of the cakes, the decorators employed by the bakers decorate birthday cakes but not wedding cakes as part of their employment, not for anyone. Since the decorators don't decorate wedding cakes as part of their employment the bakery is not responsible for refusal. If a decorator employed as a birthday cake decorator wants to decorate the wedding cake, they can but it's not their business so they don't have to. Florists can do the same thing. Sell the flowers. It is not against any religion to sell flowers to someone who is gay. Sell them the flowers, but don't provide the wedding arragements. Those have to be made by an independent contractor.

Forum List

Back