Settle the question

Can you call yourself a Christian and still support gay rights? i.e. marraige/adoptio

• Yes

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Is it possible to support gay rights and still be a Christian?

Of course it is. When Jesus was asked what is the greatest commandment, He said "Love God above all else, and love one another like you love God."

Gender wasn't specified.

And............fwiw...........David and Jonathan had a legal same sex union recognized by the nation of Israel.

No, they didn't.

No one ever said that Jesus ever said anything against gays, because there's no proof that he said anything. Only second hand (or more) hearsay.

However, Christians maintain that the entire Bible is the complete, inspired and inerrant word of God; therefore it doesn't matter who said what; if it's in the Bible it must be true. Anyone who doesn't know that the Bible condemns homosexuality has never read the book. Period.

Now if you propose to discard everything in the Bible except for the actual words attributed to Christ Himself, you might have an argument. But if what others in the Bible say about homosexuality is to be ignored, then everything else they say must be also ignored, including every word uttered by all of the apostles! I find it amusing that Christian can quote the apostles, but when it comes to what they say about homosexuality, Christians refuse to accept it. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't make sense.

Besides, homosexuality is condemned (under threat of death) by God Himself in the Old Testament. I would think that God would be a sufficient authority on the subject.

Now, let's see if I got this right: The apostles condemned homosexuality; God Himself condemned homosexuality, but because Christ did not speak on the subject you believe that homosexuality is permissible according to the Bible.

I don't get it.

No one ever said that Jesus ever said anything against gays, because there's no proof that he said anything. Only second hand (or more) hearsay.

However, Christians maintain that the entire Bible is the complete, inspired and inerrant word of God; therefore it doesn't matter who said what; if it's in the Bible it must be true. Anyone who doesn't know that the Bible condemns homosexuality has never read the book. Period.

Now if you propose to discard everything in the Bible except for the actual words attributed to Christ Himself, you might have an argument. But if what others in the Bible say about homosexuality is to be ignored, then everything else they say must be also ignored, including every word uttered by all of the apostles! I find it amusing that Christian can quote the apostles, but when it comes to what they say about homosexuality, Christians refuse to accept it. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't make sense.

Besides, homosexuality is condemned (under threat of death) by God Himself in the Old Testament. I would think that God would be a sufficient authority on the subject.

Now, let's see if I got this right: The apostles condemned homosexuality; God Himself condemned homosexuality, but because Christ did not speak on the subject you believe that homosexuality is permissible according to the Bible.

I don't get it.
Political correctness may not be biblical correctness, and until a gay gene is found, I tend to go with it's a choice, and it might have to do more with a sense of power perception on the part of the participant, although I do not know. It was just described to me by a gay man that his gayness was chosen by him, and that he did pick between the alternative of heterosexuality or homosexuality. I, of course, only understand that on the most superficial of levels of what-you-see-is-what-you-get, and I still do not know for sure why people choose to be gay or straight. In my world, I knew at age 4 that I liked little boys in a different way than girlfriends. We didn't talk sex when I was growing up in the rarified air of a church family that chose Victorian leanings over other lifestyles. I thought we were like everyone else until I went to high school and noticed a large percentage of people not only never attended church with their families they avoided people like me who did. My response was, "Oh, well, everybody's different." And I let the issue go at that.

The trouble with churches changing to meet the times is they leave people behind that they educated in one way only to renounce it two generations later, and people feel betrayed to realize people want to control what God is said to have deemed wise.

Power issues make people mad at each other. It's too bad.

Is it possible to support gay rights and still be a Christian?

Of course it is. When Jesus was asked what is the greatest commandment, He said "Love God above all else, and love one another like you love God."

Gender wasn't specified.

And............fwiw...........David and Jonathan had a legal same sex union recognized by the nation of Israel.

To be precise, Jews are not Christians.

A Christian cannot support same sex marriage and still be a Christian. They have rejected one of the foremost tenets of the Christian Church. Adoption on the other hand has no prohibitions. Gays are not bad people who should not adopt children. Christians should not recognize that same sex relationships are normal and beneficial to anyone beyond the relationship itself.

Nonsense.

There are plently of Christians who reject a lot of the bible, especially the old testament( which I can see has already been quoted). The only requirement of a Christian is to try and follow the teachings of Christ. Each domination teaches their own version of the Christ story and how to best live as a Christain. They are not all the same, and that doesn't make someone else less of a Christian.

I don't get it.
Political correctness may not be biblical correctness, and until a gay gene is found, I tend to go with it's a choice, and it might have to do more with a sense of power perception on the part of the participant, although I do not know. It was just described to me by a gay man that his gayness was chosen by him, and that he did pick between the alternative of heterosexuality or homosexuality. I, of course, only understand that on the most superficial of levels of what-you-see-is-what-you-get, and I still do not know for sure why people choose to be gay or straight. In my world, I knew at age 4 that I liked little boys in a different way than girlfriends. We didn't talk sex when I was growing up in the rarified air of a church family that chose Victorian leanings over other lifestyles. I thought we were like everyone else until I went to high school and noticed a large percentage of people not only never attended church with their families they avoided people like me who did. My response was, "Oh, well, everybody's different." And I let the issue go at that.

The trouble with churches changing to meet the times is they leave people behind that they educated in one way only to renounce it two generations later, and people feel betrayed to realize people want to control what God is said to have deemed wise.

Power issues make people mad at each other. It's too bad.

It's not a choice. The brains of gays when compared with straights are fundamentally different in their structure and wiring.

What makes people gay? Biologists may never get a complete answer to that question, but researchers in Sweden have found one more sign that the answer lies in the structure of the brain.

Scientists at the Karolinska Institute studied brain scans of 90 gay and straight men and women, and found that the size of the two symmetrical halves of the brains of gay men more closely resembled those of straight women than they did straight men. In heterosexual women, the two halves of the brain are more or less the same size. In heterosexual men, the right hemisphere is slightly larger. Scans of the brains of gay men in the study, however, showed that their hemispheres were relatively symmetrical, like those of straight women, while the brains of homosexual women were asymmetrical like those of straight men. The number of nerves connecting the two sides of the brains of gay men were also more like the number in heterosexual women than in straight men.

Just what these brain differences mean is still not clear. Ever since 1991, when Simon LeVay first documented differences in the hypothalamus of gay and straight men, researchers have been struggling to understand what causes these differences to occur. Until now, the brain regions that scientists have come to believe play a role in sexual orientation have been related to either reproduction or sexuality. The Swedish study, however, is the first to find differences in parts of the brain not normally involved in reproduction — the denser network of nerve connections, for example, was found in the amygdala, known as the emotional center of the brain. "The big question has always been, if the brains of gay men are different, or feminized, as earlier research suggests," says Dr. Eric Vilain, professor of human genetics at University of California Los Angeles, "then is it just limited to sexual preference or are there other regions that are gender atypical in gay males? For the first time, in this study it looks like there are regions of the brain not directly involved in sexuality that seem to be feminized in gay males."

Read more: What the Gay Brain Looks Like - TIME

It's not just one specific gene, but rather a who bunch of other factors as well.

Forum List

Back