Hypocrisy within the modern Christian Community

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Aristotle, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Aristotle

Aristotle Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I notice that there are many Christians who profess their love for Christ but they have a tendency to not extend their compassion towards others, most specifically, their Abrahamic neighbors, Muslims. But more importantly, I see a lot of Christians both online and offline that have a tendency to criticize others but they themselves are not doing what they're supposed to (as far as Christianity is concerned). A good example is Ted Haggard who openly opposed homosexuality but it was found out that he himself was homosexual. Or the so-called "good Christians" who professed their belief in Jesus as their Lord and Savior but castrated and hung blacks? In the Bible Jesus said:

"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' " (Matthew 7:21-23)

Its amazing that there are Christians who will bad mouth Islam yet profess to be Christian, and upon asking why are they bad mouthing a faith, most will say "its free speech." But its not free speech that I'm concerned about its about professing a belief in a tolerant philosophy such as the one Jesus believed in yet their speech is so intolerant towards others. So my question to that is what justifies intolerant speech or intolerant belief? Is it the Constitution? Is it because your American?

How does one reconcile intolerant speech with their religious beliefs? How can you be for Christ who spoke about justice, compassion, and love, yet your speech towards others contradicts what Jesus taught?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. ecks_why

ecks_why Active Member

Thanks Received:
    http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/6463/slam6.jpg
    Ratings:
    +246
    i'm posting more as a secular humanist, but is this what you are typing ?

1. criticism of islam by xtians is the same as:
    A - an xtian preacher who frequently criticized nonheteros was found to engage in this behavior himself
    B - xtians in the past who used their faith to justify slavery & worse

2. because xtians are xtians, they should not criticize other religions ?

3. because islam is a religion, it should not be criticized ?

4. that tolerance should be extended towards ideologies that are intolerant ?

i personally don't think islam should be protected in any way shape or form. xnity has managed to survive the onslaught of "free speech" and seems to still be thriving in a modern secular culture yes ? why are you wanting to deprive islam of this similar experience ? why does islam deserve such "protection" from free speech ?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,931
    let them die

4. Aristotle

Aristotle Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125
    My point is its hypocritical to be Christian but wants Muslims to die.

Its hypocritical to be Christian but you exercise racism (after all the historical Jesus was Jewish).

5. Aristotle

Aristotle Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Two questions:
    Let who die?

Are you Christian?

6. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    hypocrite=human

deal

7. Aristotle

Aristotle Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Being human is not an excuse to maintain contradictory beliefs.

8. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    being a blowhard on a messageboard is not an excuse to judge others.

9. laughinReaper

laughinReaper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +582
    Matthew 23:27
    Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
    Matthew 23:26-28 (in Context) Matthew 23 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

1.John 2:14
    And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
    John 2:13-15 (in Context) John 2 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
    2.John 2:15
    And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
    John 2:14-16 (in Context) John 2 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Luke 11:44
    Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are as graves which appear not, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them.
    Luke 11:43-45 (in Context) Luke 11 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Matthew 23:25
    Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.:eusa_shhh:

Matthew 23:14
    Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

As you can plainly see,Jesus had no problem pointing out what was wrong. If I see Muslims making a mistake following Mohammad,should I let them be cast to hell just to be nice about it or should I try to point out the error? Jesus KNEW there would be false Prophets but Muslims didn't get the memo. The hostility could be because it's hard to be nice to people who want to kill you. It could also be because we know Islam is satans religion and we do hate God's enemy. As for being a hippocrate, that may be, but if you think all those do gooders in fancy million dollar churches, fine robes, gold and silver goblets,and getting rich off the tithes they are given are going to be in a better position on Judgement day that those slamming Islam on this board, you're as sadly mistaken as they are.

Mathew 24
    11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  10. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,931
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yva0VSN1_T4]Teaparty: Just Let Uninsured People Die (CNN GOP debate, Ron Paul) - YouTube[/ame]

Republicans claim to be Christians.