Senate Set to Extend Jobless Benefits

Don't know what you are saying.

They've already borrowed the stim money and a large portion (1/2?) has not been spent. Why don't they use this for u.e. extension rather than borrowing more money.

Why do you keep avoiding my other questions?

So....you are saying borrowed stimulus money is better than borrowed money to extend UE benefits??

I'm saying the stim money is already borrowed, use that and don't borrow more. But since it's already 'accounted' for (Jon already answered my question), it's moot.

Why don't you want the u.e. extensions paid for rather than borrowing more? Why don't you want pay-go?

I have no problem with pay go as long as it applies to ALL Fed Government costs. $500M to Pakistan to help improve their power grid, for example.

So....you are saying borrowed stimulus money is better than borrowed money to extend UE benefits??

Yes, because borrowed stimulus money has already been borrowed. In other words, we don't have to borrow MORE to spend it.

OK....I give up. Maybe I am just too tired to see the logic in this one.

You must be, because it's pretty simple logic.

The government got the approval to spend the stimulus money already. We've already borrowed it, it's sitting in an account somewhere waiting to be spent. It COULD be used to extend unemployment. Instead, Obama wants approval to borrow more money to extend benefits, even though he has the money available. In essence, he wants to BORROW more and SPEND more. I don't know how I can make it any more clear than that.

It's like saying we have the money in the bank to buy something, but instead we want to go borrow the money to buy it. It's stupid, and it's bad spending practice.

I have no problem with pay go as long as it applies to ALL Fed Government costs. $500M to Pakistan to help improve their power grid, for example.

Do you think Obama is being hypocritical on the pay for u.e. extensions? He said this: "Now, Congress will have to pay for what it spends, just like everybody else." after he signed paygo but now he spins it as the Republicans are the bad guys . . . even though he said things should be paid for.

I'm saying the stim money is already borrowed, use that and don't borrow more. But since it's already 'accounted' for (Jon already answered my question), it's moot.

Why don't you want the u.e. extensions paid for rather than borrowing more? Why don't you want pay-go?

I wonder how much of that money will go to the Taliban so they can buy more IEDs from Iran???

Senator Bernie Sanders (VT-I) has proposed a measure to repeal more than US$35 billion in tax breaks for the oil and gas industry.

Senate Proposal to End $35 Billion in Oil & Gas Tax Breaks | Brendan Demelle

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

The Senate rejected a proposal to eliminate about $35 billion in tax subsidies to oil companies. The bill lost by a vote of 35-61, with every Republican voting against it.

Obama budget seeks to end oil, gas subsidies | Reuters

(Reuters) - The Obama administration on Monday asked Congress for a second time to end some $36.5 billion in subsidies for oil and gas companies

----------------------------------

If we ended the 35 billion dollar give a way to oil companies. We could fund unemployment and have 5 billion dollars left over.

Oh wait, Republicans are more concerned with oil companies than those "Whining bellyachers. They should sober up and go get a job". Isn't that the Republican position? On top of that, I'm pretty sure they feel we didin't move enough jobs overseas.

GOP senators say they want to help the jobless but that the extended benefits must be paid for so as not to add to the deficit. Democrats say the spending is justified, given the struggles of the long-term unemployed ...

So, why can't they (or don't they?) agree to pay for it?

What's the big deal?

2.5 million, given $10,000 in benefits would only be $25 Billion.

Freakin' Drop in the bucket of $15 trillion

And the $720 Billion to extend the Bush redistribution of wealth tax giveaway.

GOP senators say they want to help the jobless but that the extended benefits must be paid for so as not to add to the deficit. Democrats say the spending is justified, given the struggles of the long-term unemployed ...

So, why can't they (or don't they?) agree to pay for it?

What's the big deal?

2.5 million, given $10,000 in benefits would only be $25 Billion.

Freakin' Drop in the bucket of $15 trillion

Totally meanless compared to one quadrillion. You could also break it down to 300 million Americans only need to kick in a dime. Bottom line is, you have to TAKE money from someone earning that money and GIVE it to someone who didn't earn it. I suggest you volunteer to give additional tax dollars this year with your return.

Last edited:

Do you think Obama is being hypocritical on the pay for u.e. extensions? He said this: "Now, Congress will have to pay for what it spends, just like everybody else." after he signed paygo but now he spins it as the Republicans are the bad guys . . . even though he said things should be paid for.

Obama is NOT keeping many of his campaign promises and I think this is bad. However, to say that he is SPINNING the GOP flip flop on paying for things as you go, is going too far. The wars are NOT paid for MediCare Part D is not paid for. Why now? Why THIS issue?

I wonder how much of that money will go to the Taliban so they can buy more IEDs from Iran???

THAT is the saddest part of all. NO ONE knows. There is NO accountability. Pakistan can't even account for the $6B Bush gave them!!

Obama is NOT keeping many of his campaign promises and I think this is bad. However, to say that he is SPINNING the GOP flip flop on paying for things as you go, is going too far. The wars are NOT paid for MediCare Part D is not paid for. Why now? Why THIS issue?

Why now? Quaint little sayingh there. The answer is, because it needs to stop somewhere. Now is better than later or too late.

Why now? Quaint little sayingh there. The answer is, because it needs to stop somewhere. Now is better than later or too late.
But the GOP wants to increase the debt to extend the Bush tax cuts now!

Good point. Because it's not a republican idea.

But the GOP wants to increase the debt to extend the Bush tax cuts now!

Not collecting revenue will not increase a debt. Spending and interest cause debt.

If the wars aren't paid for then maybe we need to get the hell out.

Senator Bernie Sanders (VT-I) has proposed a measure to repeal more than US$35 billion in tax breaks for the oil and gas industry.

Senate Proposal to End $35 Billion in Oil & Gas Tax Breaks | Brendan Demelle

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

The Senate rejected a proposal to eliminate about $35 billion in tax subsidies to oil companies. The bill lost by a vote of 35-61, with every Republican voting against it.

Obama budget seeks to end oil, gas subsidies | Reuters

(Reuters) - The Obama administration on Monday asked Congress for a second time to end some $36.5 billion in subsidies for oil and gas companies

----------------------------------

If we ended the 35 billion dollar give a way to oil companies. We could fund unemployment and have 5 billion dollars left over.

Oh wait, Republicans are more concerned with oil companies than those "Whining bellyachers. They should sober up and go get a job". Isn't that the Republican position? On top of that, I'm pretty sure they feel we didin't move enough jobs overseas.

From the article:

The changes would take effect on January 1, 2011, and save $36.5 billion over 10 years, according to the budget proposal.

How will that help those on u.e. now?

I don't know, why is Obama making paying for more u.e. extensions an issue?

Senate Set to Extend Unemployment Benefits - WSJ.com

* JULY 20, 2010 :clap2:

Senate Set to Extend Jobless Benefits

By NAFTALI BENDAVID And GREG HITT

WASHINGTON—The Senate, after weeks of contentious debate, is poised to extend unemployment benefits Tuesday for more than 2.5 million Americans. <more>
I think the Republicans have played this card for all it's worth and want to move on. This is not an issue they want voters to carry into the voting both come November.

So, the GOP is playing politics with people's lives with this issue? Say it ain't so?

No they wanted the money to be there before the bill was passed. Remember the piece of legislation that passed called "Paygo". No, well you are not alone as the Dems seem to have forgotten too.
According to recover.gov, only 1/2 of the stimulus money has been spent. If this is as Obama stated, "an emergency", why not use the almost 400 billion to fund the extension?
The facts are that both sides are playing politics in an effort to gain or increase power. To think ohterwise is foolish.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon
I think the Republicans have played this card for all it's worth and want to move on. This is not an issue they want voters to carry into the voting both come November.

So, the GOP is playing politics with people's lives with this issue? Say it ain't so?

No they wanted the money to be there before the bill was passed. Remember the piece of legislation that passed called "Paygo". No, well you are not alone as the Dems seem to have forgotten too.
According to recover.gov, only 1/2 of the stimulus money has been spent. If this is as Obama stated, "an emergency", why not use the almost 400 billion to fund the extension?
The facts are that both sides are playing politics in an effort to gain or increase power. To think ohterwise is foolish.

Yes they are. The truth is this.

The Dems could and should fund this with stimulus money which is already funded

The Reps could and should give in. It's a drop in the bucket compared to Obama's other spending, might actually help some people and certainly will have them looking like assholes come November.

Is the GOP prepared to put the defense budget on the table unconditionally?

I don't know about the GOP, but I am. let's start by bringing all our troops home, now what is the left willing to give up?

I believe the left would be willing to throw in bringing home troops from other remote bases around the world that really support other countries by their existence, moreso than our own.

Really? And what exactly do you propose we do with those troops that we bring home from remote bases around the world? Are you proposing taking 30 billion dollars from the defense budget to pay for extended UE benefits and then dumping all those soldiers you brought home into a market with 9.5 % unemployment. What a genius idea. :lol:

Forum List

Back