Senate Set to Extend Jobless Benefits

Why such a fuss from the admin about the repubs wanting cuts made in other spending to pay for this rather than borrowing the money? They're just doing as Barry said.

It’s pretty simple. It says to Congress, you have to pay as you go. You can’t spend a dollar unless you cut a dollar elsewhere. This is how a responsible family or business manages a budget. And this is how a responsible government manages a budget, as well.

President Obama, February 2010 Hot Air Remember that “Pay As You Go” Law the President Wanted?

Where's Joe Wilson when you need him?

Is the GOP prepared to put the defense budget on the table unconditionally?

Why such a fuss from the admin about the repubs wanting cuts made in other spending to pay for this rather than borrowing the money? They're just doing as Barry said.

It’s pretty simple. It says to Congress, you have to pay as you go. You can’t spend a dollar unless you cut a dollar elsewhere. This is how a responsible family or business manages a budget. And this is how a responsible government manages a budget, as well.

President Obama, February 2010 Hot Air Remember that “Pay As You Go” Law the President Wanted?

Don't know. Why won't the admin/dems agree to cut spending elsewhere in order to pay for u.e. extensions? Wasn't Barry going to go over things line by line and cut waste and spending? Well?

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that anyone was looking for a job for 2 years and couldn't find one. I mean fast food restaurants are essentially always hiring. Maybe not the best job, but it's a JOB. Unless of course you would rather sit back and suck the government tit.

Which begs the question:

Is it better to work your balls off, getting peanuts for pay, while making someone else rich,

or

Is it better to tax the hell out of the wealthy and live off the government dole out?

Slave or parasite?

As Mortishia Adams says:

"We gladly devour those who would enslave us."

After all, it's the choice of the wealthy to keep wages as low as they possibly can.

Are not slaves and parasites the same thing??? Don't hate the hand that feeds your family. If you do, then become an employer yourself. You are only as stuck as you want to be. I don't believe in a minimum wage. You know why? A company can afford to employ more people while keeping inflation down. We are talking JOBS! Prosperity for all who are willing to work, which includes the rich...

Don't know. Why won't the admin/dems agree to cut spending elsewhere in order to pay for u.e. extensions? Wasn't Barry going to go over things line by line and cut waste and spending? Well?

In order to go over "things" line by line, all "things" must be on the table.

I don't know about the GOP, but I am. let's start by bringing all our troops home, now what is the left willing to give up?

Super, put them on the table.

Why the fuss from the admin over paying for this round of extensions and poo-pooing all over the Repubsm making them look like bad guys? (sssshh, there's an election coming up!) Why is Obama going back on pay-go? Why don't they tap the unspent stim bucks to pay for this rather than borrowing -- what is it, $30 billion? I thought the last round of extensions was the last round? When are they going to cut fraud and wasteful spending in D.C.?

Last edited:

I don't know about the GOP, but I am. let's start by bringing all our troops home, now what is the left willing to give up?

I believe the left would be willing to throw in bringing home troops from other remote bases around the world that really support other countries by their existence, moreso than our own.

Why the fuss from the admin over paying for this round of extensions and poo-pooing all over the Repubsm making them look like bad guys? (sssshh, there's an election coming up!) Why is Obama going back on pay-go? Why don't they tap the unspent stim bucks to pay for this rather than borrowing -- what is it, $30 billion? I thought the last round of extensions was the last round?

Are you trying to say that the stimulus is somehow "paid for"? Really?

I believe the left would be willing to throw in bringing home troops from other remote bases around the world that really support other countries by their existence, moreso than our own.

That's the defense budget, I don't want to know about defense cuts. What outside of the defense dep't would you be willing to give up? How about some of those entitlements?

Why the fuss from the admin over paying for this round of extensions and poo-pooing all over the Repubsm making them look like bad guys? (sssshh, there's an election coming up!) Why is Obama going back on pay-go? Why don't they tap the unspent stim bucks to pay for this rather than borrowing -- what is it, $30 billion? I thought the last round of extensions was the last round?

??

I'm saying there is money from the stimulus that has not been spent. Why not take some of that money to pay for the u.e. extensions.

Why do you keep avoiding my other questions. Don't you think the D.C. crowd should cut spending elsewhere in order to pay for this or you're ok with just borrow, borrow, borrow?

??

I'm saying there is money from the stimulus that has not been spent. Why not take some of that money to pay for the u.e. extensions.

Why do you keep avoiding my other questions. Don't you think the D.C. crowd should cut spending elsewhere in order to pay for this or you're ok with just borrow, borrow, borrow?

Time out....you are against the UE extension because it is not paid for, right? However, you are willing to use unpaid for stimulus money?? Help me understand this position?

??

Time out....you are against the UE extension because it is not paid for, right? However, you are willing to use unpaid for stimulus money?? Help me understand this position?

Don't know what you are saying.

They've already borrowed the stim money and a large portion (1/2?) has not been spent. Why don't they use this for u.e. extension rather than borrowing more money.

Why do you keep avoiding my other questions?

??

The stimulus money has already been appropriated. It's ready to be spent. Obama wants to appropriate more money, so that he can spend more money.

If we use stimulus money to extend UE benefits, we're not spending more money, we're spending money that's already been accounted for.

??

They've already borrowed the stim money and a large portion (1/2?) has not been spent. Why don't they use this for u.e. extension rather than borrowing more money.

So....you are saying borrowed stimulus money is better than borrowed money to extend UE benefits??

So....you are saying borrowed stimulus money is better than borrowed money to extend UE benefits??

Yes, because borrowed stimulus money has already been borrowed. In other words, we don't have to borrow MORE to spend it.

Yes, because borrowed stimulus money has already been borrowed. In other words, we don't have to borrow MORE to spend it.

OK....I give up. Maybe I am just too tired to see the logic in this one.

I'm saying the stim money is already borrowed, use that and don't borrow more. But since it's already 'accounted' for (Jon already answered my question), it's moot.

Why don't you want the u.e. extensions paid for rather than borrowing more? Why don't you want pay-go?

I'm actually torn on this issue. On the one hand there are a lot of people out of work who need the unemployment to keep afloat, but on the other the gov't can't just keep handing out money like it grows on trees. Some people honestly can't find work but how many have stopped looking and are just taking the extensions because they aren't willing to take a job that paid less than they were making before they got laid off? There's a difference between not being able to find work and not being willing to do the work that's available.
The cost to extend benefits is 34 billion which is about what we spend on the wars each month. It's really not the cost. It's the principal.

As far as getting a low paying job there are two problems. First, they aren't that easy to find. All jobs have requirements. If you get a job doing manual labor, you better have the physical strength to do the work. If you work at McDonald's you better be able to stand on your feet all day. Also employers are looking for steady help, not just someone who is using this job as a fill in job. The other problem if you are working 40 hours a week, you can't look for a job while you are working.

Forum List

Back