Sen Joe McCarthy: American Patriot and Hero

Joe McCarthy was an alcoholic that fabricated everything he touched.
My uncle was a construction worker in California working for movie studios. McCarthy labeled him and nundreds of others as communists without any evidence to support it. Uncle Bill and all the others were black listed and never worked another day in that industry. Thousands in the movie industry were blacklisted as communists.
Name one that was right.
Sure, McCarthy pointed out there were communists around. Well DUH. Even a blind squirrell finds a nut every once in a while.
You people will believe anything and are too young to know any better.
Joe McCarthy had nothing to do with any of that Hollywood hullabaloo. That was all part of the work of the HUAC (House Un-American Activities Committee) and Joseph McCarthy was a US Senator, and did not work or coordinate with the house committee. None of these people who were "blacklisted" were named by Joseph McCarthy. Whatever blacklisting that occurred came as a result of certain large Hollywood producers and moguls who wanted to be sure their industry was not infiltrated by communists.

It's too bad you don't challenge anything you hear on the subject.

Prove what you say. And by the way, prove what you said in another thread that McCarthy said that the communists were poisoning our water supply with fluoride.

Here’s what you said in THIS THREAD
If you do not know that Joe McCarthy stated himself that vaccinations, fluoridation of water and the government funding mental health clinic then you are in denial. He said it and that is documented fact.
So you condone slandering hundreds of innocent people because he "sounded the alarm"?

I repeat my challenge: Show me some evidence, even a credible link that Joe McCarthy ever stated that. Anything will do; I want to see it. So document it; give us a link. Come on! Do it!

You are wrong in saying that McCarthy had nothing to do with the who communist investigations. Of course he wasn't involved with a House committee. However the Senate also had hearings , Tydings Committee, feel free to read about it.

Tydings Committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for fluoride, yes MacCarthy led the charge of people who believed it was a communist plot. The man was a delusional prick.

Of course the Senate had hearings in the form of the Tydings hearings which preceded McCarthy, but I repeat that McCarthy had nothing to do with the Hollywood Blacklisting.

McCarthy had those, and developed many more names that had not originated in the house committee, and the great majority of those were to be proven two ways, besides FBI investigaters: they would show up in the Venona transmissions, and many of those people charged by McCarthy sought refuge in the Soviet Union and China.

The Tydings committee was organized ostensibly to evaluate the claims by McCarthy, but instead it's primary purpose was to obfuscate the record and discredit McCarthy's work, by claiming that all the names McCarthy had came from the "Lee List"

And as for the flouride assertion, I say the same to you as I said to Gadawg PROVE IT. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if you can provide some substantial proof, not just another claim by someone who hated JM and wanted to pile on. And it's not enough to say that Roy Cohn, who was legal counsel to Sen. Joseph McCarthy during the anti-Communist Senate investigations of the 1950s, would later become a member of the John Birch Society, and that since the JBS warned about flouride in the water that, therefore McCarthy did also.

Last edited:
Joe McCarthy had nothing to do with any of that Hollywood hullabaloo. That was all part of the work of the HUAC (House Un-American Activities Committee) and Joseph McCarthy was a US Senator, and did not work or coordinate with the house committee. None of these people who were "blacklisted" were named by Joseph McCarthy. Whatever blacklisting that occurred came as a result of certain large Hollywood producers and moguls who wanted to be sure their industry was not infiltrated by communists.

Prove what you say. And by the way, prove what you said in another thread that McCarthy said that the communists were poisoning our water supply with fluoride.

I repeat my challenge: Show me some evidence, even a credible link that Joe McCarthy ever stated that. Anything will do; I want to see it. So document it; give us a link. Come on! Do it!

You are wrong in saying that McCarthy had nothing to do with the who communist investigations. Of course he wasn't involved with a House committee. However the Senate also had hearings , Tydings Committee, feel free to read about it.

As for fluoride, yes MacCarthy led the charge of people who believed it was a communist plot. The man was a delusional prick.

Of course the Senate had hearings in the form of the Tydings hearings which preceded McCarthy, but I repeat that McCarthy had nothing to do with the Hollywood Blacklisting.

And as for the flouride assertion, I say the same to you as I said to Gawdog PROVE IT. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if you can provide some substantial proof, not just another claim by someone who hated JM and wanted to pile on. And it's not enough to say that Roy Cohn, who was legal counsel to Sen. Joseph McCarthy during the anti-Communist Senate investigations of the 1950s, would later become a member of the John Birch Society, and that since the JBS warned about flouride in the water that, therefore McCarthy did also.

The Tydings Committee did not precede McCarthy, in fact it was created to look into the charges he was throwing around.

This is a pretty good link to read

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lT4PBmfag&sig2=7J3ESd0f7ymEWePvHo32-g&cad=rja

but if you really want a look into the nutbag that was joe mccarthy, i recommended

A conspiracy so immense: the world ... - Google Books

And as for the flouride assertion, I say the same to you as I said to Gawdog PROVE IT. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if you can provide some substantial proof, not just another claim by someone who hated JM and wanted to pile on. And it's not enough to say that Roy Cohn, who was legal counsel to Sen. Joseph McCarthy during the anti-Communist Senate investigations of the 1950s, would later become a member of the John Birch Society, and that since the JBS warned about flouride in the water that, therefore McCarthy did also.

The Tydings Committee did not precede McCarthy, in fact it was created to look into the charges he was throwing around.

This is a pretty good link to read

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lT4PBmfag&sig2=7J3ESd0f7ymEWePvHo32-g&cad=rja

but if you really want a look into the nutbag that was joe mccarthy, i recommended

I have read a great deal critical of McCarthy. Now I'm reading M. Stanton Evans scholarly work with 60 pages of notes, appendix, and index "Blacklisted by History"

Also Arthur Herman's "Joseph McCarthy (Re-examining the Life and Legacy of America's most hated senator) 62 pages of notes, appendix, and index which give fair treatment to the subject; he is not a JM fan.

Also Herbert Romerstein's and Eric Breindel's "The Venona Secrets" 145 pages of notes, appendix, and index

I agree the Tydings Senate Committe was organized to quash McCarthy's charges, and not to investigate any of those charges.

Last edited:
Should I not hold my breath for documentation of the flouride claim?

I know that McCarthy sank into alcoholism after his censure in the Senate. I wonder how many of today's political heroes could stand up to the kind of attacks he withstood, and not develop some sort of dependency problem?

I know that McCarthy sank into alcoholism after his censure in the Senate. I wonder how many of today's political heroes could stand up to the kind of attacks he withstood, and not develop some sort of dependency problem?

The book I suggested goes into that part some and includes the quote. I can't find it on the internet though.

Joe McCarthy was an alcoholic that fabricated everything he touched.
My uncle was a construction worker in California working for movie studios. McCarthy labeled him and nundreds of others as communists without any evidence to support it. Uncle Bill and all the others were black listed and never worked another day in that industry. Thousands in the movie industry were blacklisted as communists.
Name one that was right.
Sure, McCarthy pointed out there were communists around. Well DUH. Even a blind squirrell finds a nut every once in a while.
You people will believe anything and are too young to know any better.

If you do not know that Joe McCarthy stated himself that vaccinations, fluoridation of water and the government funding mental health clinic then you are in denial. He said it and that is documented fact.
So you condone slandering hundreds of innocent people because he "sounded the alarm"?

I always thought that was just a parody from Dr. Strangelove.

no it was a real conspiracy theory. funny you should mention strangelove. I'm watching the shining right now.

no there was a real scare about it in the late 40s early 50s. and it is attributed to McCarthyism. There is an actual quote from McCarthy in the book i linked to , but it is second hand and honestly is the only quote ive seen from him but even if he didn't actually condone it he most definitely stirred the embers to create an environment for those kinda weirdo theories.

no there was a real scare about it in the late 40s early 50s. and it is attributed to McCarthyism. There is an actual quote from McCarthy in the book i linked to , but it is second hand and honestly is the only quote ive seen from him but even if he didn't actually condone it he most definitely stirred the embers to create an environment for those kinda weirdo theories.

But that's indirect and imputed, not substantial; actually only innuendo.

Last edited:
By they way there was no real scare about flouridated water in the 40's and 50's but there was some talk about it by phamphleteers in the 60's. I say not a real scare, because we had our water flouridated, and there was and still is some argument about its efficacy and value, but not something a lot of people took seriously.

I would like to ask, anyone following this thread right now: did you get under your desk in school, grade or secondary for bomb drills? I mean YOU. not that you heard it and took it as gospel that it happened. I was in school between 1947 to 1959, and I never did. My son was in school between 1975 and 1992 and he never did.

Last edited:

The book I suggested goes into that part some and includes the quote. I can't find it on the internet though.

Please research that for me, take another look, and report whether or not it is credible, or just a "quote" by some third party. I have done considerable searching on that very subject and have come up empty.

Since you have the book there must be some mention of the source, a persons name or an organization perhaps? I will look into all your references, and buy them if I have to, but I'll sample them one at a time. It would help if you pin-pointed which of the two books you referenced. Would you say it was the most credible, has notes with primary sources for instance?

I plan on following this to its source.

I honestly haven't read it in years and can't just off the top of my head comment on the source of that information. The book itself was pretty credible though, I remember that. it's on my bookshelf right now, but I don't feel like researching it at this moment, I will though.

and this

is the book I was referring to.

Even though my degree is in post civil war US history, I more focused on the military aspect of things, for obvious reasons, but I did study this part of history quite a bit to.

By they way there was no real scare about flouridated water in the 40's and 50's but there was some talk about it by phamphleteers in the 60's. I say not a real scare, because we had our water flouridated, and there was and still is some argument about its efficacy and value, but not something a lot of people took seriously.

I would like to ask, anyone following this thread right now: did you get under your desk in school, grade or secondary for bomb drills? I mean YOU. not that you heard it and took it as gospel that it happened. I was in school between 1947 to 1959, and I never did. My son was in school between 1975 and 1992 and he never did.

Those drills DiD happen in some areas. My parents went to HS in CA in the 60s and they did have those drills. As if a fiber board desk would stop an atomic bomb ROFL.

McCarthey did more to destroy the Republican party than anyone on earth.

He also destroyed the State Department's ability to really report on Asia at just the time that the USA needed the old hands who understood China and SE asia.

It took the GOP nearly 30 years to recover from that man.

He ruined a lot of good people's careers, and the chilling effect of that persisted for decades.

Half the reason we so screwed up in VietNam was people who should have known better were afraid to tell the truth about what a mess that nation was.

And we have McCarthy's ghost to thank for that.

You bet. We practiced in 1959 or 1960, I remember, then in 1962, all of our school practiced getting under the desk. I have talked to many folks elsewhere in the country did the same thing that October.

Yes. They started shortly after my enrollment in kindergarten in Lake Forest Park elementary, Seattle 1955-59. Nellies S Milton (Orcas Island) 1957-62. The drills became sporadic to discontinued with an elevated bump right at the Cuban missle crisis. On Orcas they didn't take the panranoia as seriously.

FWIW, We ALSO got under our desks during the fabulous 50s in PA.

Here's the amusing part of that excercise..

I lived about 20 miles from Bethlehem steel in Bethlehem PA, and about two miles from a rather large chemical plant (JT Baker Chemicals) which would likely have been targeted.

We were 60 miles North of Philly and 90 miles west of NYC?

So I'm reasonably sure, had a fullscale nuclear war broken out, it might have taken more than a desk to save us.

What we'd have needed was a very deep bunker and about 40,000 years of provisions to wait out the radiation.

Last edited:
McCarthey did more to destroy the Republican party than anyone on earth.

He also destroyed the State Department's ability to really report on Asia at just the time that the USA needed the old hands who understood China and SE asia.

It took the GOP nearly 30 years to recover from that man.

He ruined a lot of good people's careers, and the chilling effect of that persisted for decades.

Half the reason we so screwed up in VietNam was people who should have known better were afraid to tell the truth about what a mess that nation was.

And we have McCarthy's ghost to thank for that.

Absolutely true.

The unwarranted fear of unchecked Communism lead us into Viet Nam when we should have known better. Being labeled "Soft on Communism" was the end of your political career

I'm only about 35 pages into M. Stanton Evans "Blacklisted by History" and I am livid at the utter gall and tremendous scope of the Leftist outright lies.

Did you know that many of the original documents that McCarthy based his campaign on are missing?

As recently as March 1993 someone, we don't know who went into the US National Archives and took the Klaus Memo, a 1946 memo by a State Department official Samuel Klaus implicating Alger Hiss and many others as Communist spies?

American Patriot and Hero??????
323.png

You forgot to mention he was (also) a typical burnt-out, Republican-alcoholic.​
"Part of Evans’s appeal is his boast to have unmasked the biases and distortions of previous McCarthy critics, this author included. He begins by describing a massive Russian spy operation in the United States, drawing his evidence from K.G.B. files as well as portions of the Venona project, a top-secret operation that traced Soviet intelligence traffic during World War II. Evans leaves the impression that he has uncovered fresh material, suspiciously overlooked until now. In fact, numerous scholars have used these documents to craft a thorough portrait of Communist espionage in Washington, though most believe that the worst of it was over by the late 1940s, when the F.B.I. began a crackdown on spying and a federal security program was put in place. If anything, they say, this evidence serves to reinforce the standard portrait of McCarthy as a bit player in the battle against Communist subversion, a latecomer who turned a vital crusade into a political mud bath.

Evans di$agree$, claiming that the Communist problem was very much alive in 1950, when the senator first made his charges of treason in high places. He judges McCarthy to be a skilled appraiser of loyalty and disloyalty and blames his errors, as well as those of his top aide, Roy Cohn, on “their proclivities for multitasking, and the fact that they carried so much information in their heads.” (Those old enough to remember this duo will find the imagery amusing.
544.gif
) Most important, Evans buys into the heart of the McCarthy conspiracyhttp://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/books/review/Oshinsky-t.html — the belief that leftist elements in the Roosevelt and Truman administrations created a foreign policy to advance the spread of world Communism.

Fifty years have passed since the senator died of liver failure, at age 48. The fiercely negative judgments of those who lived through the McCarthy era are widely accepted today for good reason: they ring true. These judgments tell a cautionary tale, showing how a nation’s legitimate concern for security in uncertain times can be turned into something partisan, repressive and cruel. McCarthy will continue to resonate on the fringes of the body politic because the conspiracy he championed — the disloyalty of powerful elites — goes back to the founding of our country and beyond."

If you tell the folks at the bookstore you got this book as a gift, they'll probably let you trade-it-in for something a little-more-believable.

You Glenn Beck fans have gotta try to break your conspiracy-addiction. You've (already) proven how expensive it can be!!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back