Selling my M-1 Garand

I love the Garand and I don't take selling it lightly. OTOH, it is expensive to shoot especially as compared to the AK and other weapons such as the AR. And hey, I like the gimmick. It makes it so evil looking that I can hear Diane Feinstein screaming in terror from here.

Yeah, I understand that it isn't cheap to shoot. I have the same problem with my Springfield M1A.

I tried a pistol grip on my shotgun. I couldn't hit well enough with it. But you're right, the chainsaw is a badass looking shotgun. I wanted one of the Rossi Ranch Hand pistols. But after I tried shooting it I just couldn't justify spending money on something that difficult to shoot accurately.

A couple of people made points here that the Garand wasn't worth as much as I thought. I'm still looking into that. I have seen them on sale in internet sites for at least $900

If I can't get at least that for mine then I probably won't sell it.

If you can post some pictures of it I can help you key it out so you have a better idea of exactly what you have. It would be nice if you found you had a gas trap Garand as that is worth a minimum of 30K, odds are you don't have one of those though! [MENTION=33194]PredFan[/MENTION]

I would keep the Garand. I'd rather have what Gen. Patton described as "the greatest battle implement ever devised" than an AK and a pump shotgun with a gimmick added.

The Garand was state of the art 70 years ago. Now, not so much.

And part of the reason it is not state of the art is that the military changed they way they train and utilize riflemen. Before they were used in a one shot/one kill sort of capacity, and they trained them to be marksmen. Now they give them more ammo, a weapon that recoils less, and expects them to fire far more rounds.

Besides, I am not a fan of the .223 round for a battle weapon. It is too small to legally hunt deer in many states.

I would keep the Garand. I'd rather have what Gen. Patton described as "the greatest battle implement ever devised" than an AK and a pump shotgun with a gimmick added.

The Garand was state of the art 70 years ago. Now, not so much.

And part of the reason it is not state of the art is that the military changed they way they train and utilize riflemen. Before they were used in a one shot/one kill sort of capacity, and they trained them to be marksmen. Now they give them more ammo, a weapon that recoils less, and expects them to fire far more rounds.

Besides, I am not a fan of the .223 round for a battle weapon. It is too small to legally hunt deer in many states.

My primary is a HK G3, and it is far more technologically advanced than a Garand (of which I own two BTW). I agree the training now is nowhere near what it used to be, but the weapon itself is fragile compared to the beating my G3 can take.

Indeed. And in CA, they have the added advantage of not having to be registered due to being historical relics...at least, that was the case when we bought our two.

Indeed. And in CA, they have the added advantage of not having to be registered due to being historical relics...at least, that was the case when we bought our two.

They don't have to be registered because their capacity is less than ten rounds and they don't use a removable magazine.

asking and getting are two different cats

I know, what you and others say is true, but.....there is a ban on importing them and that might make people eager to get one. I'm not selling it tomorrow so I've got time to mull it over. The input is appreciated from all parties.

I was think about the comparison between the AK and the Garand.

One thing to consider about your rifle is the range and accuracy. While it is a bit more expensive to shoot, you do not need as many shots to do the job. I am a big fan of rifles that shoot accurately at fairly long range and hit hard. The 30-06 does both.

the 30-06 is my favorite

got my first one at 14

I know, what you and others say is true, but.....there is a ban on importing them and that might make people eager to get one. I'm not selling it tomorrow so I've got time to mull it over. The input is appreciated from all parties.

One thing to consider about your rifle is the range and accuracy. While it is a bit more expensive to shoot, you do not need as many shots to do the job. I am a big fan of rifles that shoot accurately at fairly long range and hit hard. The 30-06 does both.

the 30-06 is my favorite

got my first one at 14

I have owned 2 bolt actions and 1 single shot rifle in "aught six". They always did the trick.

the 30-06 is my favorite

got my first one at 14

I have owned 2 bolt actions and 1 single shot rifle in "aught six". They always did the trick.

my first 06 was a model 700 that i traded a used snowmobile for

the second a 760 pump master which dad gave me

Here are a couple of photos that someone requested:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 59
If you could really get an M-1 for $300 I would have one. I started looking for some WW2 vintage pieces a few years ago, M-1, Enfield, Karabiner 98k. Too expensive for an occasional morning at the range.

Ladies and gentlemen the M1 Garand:

I really don't give two fucks how a modern rifle functions with its dressed up polymer craptastic design, this right here is a fucking work of art. Glowing walnut beauty. I can smell the gun oil.

Keep that puppy.

Ok, apparently the others are too big.

OK, now pull the bolt back and take a picture of the markings on the barrel. Also pull the trigger group and take a picture of the markings on the hammer and the trigger housing.

The color looks good.

The receiver was made in march of 1943. But, it went through the 1947 rebuild so it will be a mishmash of parts. What is important is whether the barrel is original to the receiver.

Prices always vary. I have sold books and board war games as a hobby for years.

The only rule that counts: the price is what a buyer will pay.

So, yes, post at $1100 and see what happens.
It's just like comic books. I have a $5,000 one. But will I find someone willing to give me that for it? Doubtful.

Forum List

Back