Self checkouts will be scrapped at Walmart, Costco, and Wegmans

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Some retail experts predict the reported rise in crime will lead to the demise of self-checkout at big retailers like Walmart and Costco.​

Self-checkouts at big retailers like Walmart and Costco could soon be a thing of the past, warn retail experts, and corporations are pinning it on crime.

An industry expert has warned that Walmart, which has recently claimed it will be launching in-store mini post offices, will scrap self-checkout in the near future.

"I think we are going to see the demise of self-checkouts very soon," said Phil Lempert, a food industry analyst.

Meh, just look at the demographics in the area and don't put them in certain places, simple as that.

It's certainly not a benefit for the paying customer if it went away.....Hell, they would still only have two registers open.

Self checkouts are fine if you only have a few items that you can scan real quick and be out the door, but they're not ideal for people with a whole cart full of groceries. It takes much longer than a cashier can.
Absolutely disagree. I never go thru checkout at Costco anymore and I always have a cart full. It's so much easier than those long lines. They also always have someone nearby to ring up your items that need help on. I really doubt they'll take them out. They do now ask for your membership card as you get in line for a register.

They are here to stay, they may disappear in shitty cities where crime is not prosecuted, but in the rest of the country - they are saving retailers huge money.

What is more likely is AI security systems that can recognize items not getting scanned etc.

Absolutely disagree. I never go thru checkout at Costco anymore and I always have a cart full. It's so much easier than those long lines. They also always have someone nearby to ring up your items that need help on. I really doubt they'll take them out. They do now ask for your membership card as you get in line for a register.
But you can't have any liquor :(

Sorry about your "limitations". I guess some are more savvy about such things than others.

I'm just not in any such hurry that I put a few extra seconds ahead of another person's job nor the convenience of letting them do what they know how to do, nor stupid enough to get behind a "welfare queen" loading up on 200 pounds of steaks and lobster.

They DO have the express checkout for people who think their time is more important than others.

I'm just not in any such hurry that I put a few extra seconds ahead of another person's job nor the convenience of letting them do what they know how to do, nor stupid enough to get behind a "welfare queen" loading up on 200 pounds of steaks and lobster.

They DO have the express checkout for people who think their time is more important than others.

I want to maximize my time on this rock....You do you.

Forum List

Back