Segregated spelling Bee???

I have heard people tell me black children did better in school before integration, is this really true?
I know the white kids did

The black kids did too. I suggest some of Thomas Sowell's books who has done exhaustive research on this, has lectured and written exhaustively on it, and who grew up as an inner city kid attending a segregated school.

Derrick Forward of the Dayton NAACP apparently ( I just watched it) came out against changing the scores by saying that "you don't get the best people for the job" etc........hours later, change up!!!!

the national naacp took him to task....thats uhm, a 'guess' on my part. He has reversed himself now.

Carry on.

Derrick Forward of the Dayton NAACP apparently ( I just watched it) came out against changing the scores by saying that "you don't get the best people for the job" etc........hours later, change up!!!!

the national naacp took him to task....thats uhm, a 'guess' on my part. He has reversed himself now.

Carry on.

Interesting. A couple of days ago this was his take on it:

. . . .DAYTON -- The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits.

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.

Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test.

Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.

The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That's the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’.

“It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,” said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane. “It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."

“The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,” agreed Dayton NAACP President Derrick Foward.

The D.O.J. and Civil Service Board declined Dayton’s News Source’s repeat requests for interviews. The lower standards mean 258 more people passed the test. The city won't say how many were minorities.

“If you lower the score for any group of people, you're not getting the best qualified people for the job,” Foward said. . . .

Dayton's News Source :: Top Stories - Civil Service Board Announces Police Recruit Scores

And you're saying he has now reversed his position on this?

Why don't blacks and whites compete in the same bee but have trophies for the top 3 black finishers and seperately for the top 3 non-black finishers? Except if a black finishes in the top 3 overall ahead of whites then they could get a real trophy. That would highlight for people what really goes on with affirmative action.

Give me a freeking break!

What an emabarrassing thing to do to young black kids. This is just a nice way to say..."you cant compete and win unless we create your own lil spelling bee"

Pathetic and simply wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3IcSIYbQ0&feature=player_embedded

Until black Americans stop thinking of themselves as black, there will be racism. Because there is racism, no standards should be lowered. You're simply subconsiously telling black kids that they are not good enough, to be equal. Very counter-productive. Very racist. :eusa_whistle:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I can see why they would have segregated spelling bees

Mrs Washington: Tyroniquay, spell "Quota"
Tyroniquay: Can you use it in a sentence, Mrs Washington"
Mrs Washington: "Shaniqua axed me to borrow a quota"

What I don't get is why do they want to be treated equal but insist on being separate, then complain when Whites want to be separate? They want to be treated as 'equal' but don't want anyone else to be treated as 'equal'.

I dunno, we have different levels in kids sports and the kids get to compete with appropriate opponents. I see this as a good thing to get black kids involved with something they might not otherwise do, and to insulate them from imagined embarrassment. we all have some level of 'fear of failure'.

But, what if there really not?

Having worked with white kids, black kids, Hispanic kids, Asian kids, Native American kids, various other ethnicities and various 'mutts' (I'm one of those :)) I've found lazy thinking, brilliant thinking, below average ability in some things, above average ability in some things among all without respect for their particular skin color or ethnicity.

But the one thing common to all at all times, if you can convince a kid to believe in himself, he will achieve far more and accomplish far more on his own behalf than he othewise will. And I am 100% convinced that racism will become a distant memory or a very infrequent occurence only when we stop culturally separating the races and treating them as special groups rather than Americans.

How can it be "pathetic" and "simply wrong" to advance education to a group of children who statistically are behind their peers of other races? With all of the school districts affected by budget cuts and lack of time to adequately teach spelling in our inner city schools, we need our community organizations to provide another avenue for children to get the training they need to be able to compete.

How can it be "pathetic" and "simply wrong" to advance education to a group of children who statistically are behind their peers of other races? With all of the school districts affected by budget cuts and lack of time to adequately teach spelling in our inner city schools, we need our community organizations to provide another avenue for children to get the training they need to be able to compete.

I recommend that you read the book Escalante: the Best Teacher in America or watch the movie "Stand and Deliver" based on the book. Be aware that it is a true story. And then tell me that kids benefit from being treated differently or separately because they are behind. How much more will their self esteem, confidence, and belief in themselves be boosted if they can be convinced that they are as good as anybody else, they can catch up with a lot of hard work, and can prepare themselves to compete with anybody anywhere.

Give me a freeking break!

What an emabarrassing thing to do to young black kids. This is just a nice way to say..."you cant compete and win unless we create your own lil spelling bee"

Pathetic and simply wrong!

YouTube - African American Spelling Bee Comes to Houston

Until black Americans stop thinking of themselves as black, there will be racism. Because there is racism, no standards should be lowered. You're simply subconsiously telling black kids that they are not good enough, to be equal. Very counter-productive. Very racist. :eusa_whistle:

I have to agree with AA on this one. The root of this whole idea stems purely from racism, and nothing could be worse than condoning it, for any reason. Blacks are always the first ones to scream racism, yet they pull stunts like this blatantly putting on display the depths of their own racism. It's an incredible display of the double standard topped off with racism. I think it's nothing short of an outrage.

Can we have an all white spelling bee? If not...why? Because it would be screamed from the rafters as racist. This black spelling be is also racist.

It also sends the very bad message to black children that they are not good enough to compete with anyone other then their own.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black Spelling Bee

1. HOTEL - My Momma said that she ain' gon tell her friend Shaqueta nothing else, cause that HOTEL everthang she know.

2. HONOR ROLL - We was playing bidwiz on the stoop the other day and man, I was HONORROLL.

3. PLANET - Leroy got arrested cause he got him some seed to grow weed, and he PLANET in the backyard.

4. DISMAY - I went for a blood test, the doctor pulled out a needle and said DISMAY hurt a little.

5. OMELETTE - I should punch you for what you jes said but OMELETTE it go dis time.

6. STAIRWAY - Getting high is stupid. It makes you STAIRWAY into space.

7. MOBILE - I went to buy some food, I was short on cash, and my man said gimme one MOBILE.

8. DEFENSE - I saw this dude running from the! cops, but he hopped DEFENSE and got away.

9. AFRO - I got so mad at my girl, AFRO a lamp at her.

10. AFTERMATH - I don't feel like being at school today so AFTERMATH, I'm out.

11. LOCKET - I slam the door so hard, I LOCKET.

12. DOMINEERING - My girl's birthday was yesterday, so I got her a DOMINEERING.

13 KENYA - I needed money for the subway, so I axe a stranger KENYA spare some change.

14. DERANGE - DERANGE is where da deer and da antelope play.

15 DATA - At my basketball game, I scored thirty points My coach say DATA boy.

16. BEWARE - I asked the man at the unemployment office, "Is dis BEWARE I can get a job?"

17. DIMENSION - I be tall, dark, handsome and not DIMENSION smart.

18. COATROOM - The judge said, "One more outburst, you'll be thrown out de COATROOM."

19. DECIDE - My boy fronting' like he love his girl but eribody know he got a couple of chicks on DECIDE.

20. FASCINATE - Her dress got 10 buttons, but she so big she can't FASCINATE.

This country is supposed to be a melting pot. How can we be a melting pot when we have African Americans, Hispanics and White Americans? Aren't we supposed to be all Americans?

Until we have JUST Spelling Bees, JUST Entertainment Shows, JUST the National Association of Advancement of People, we won't have the country without racism. It takes all of us to start looking at what is common in all of us rather than what is different.

Let's not look for excuses but reasons and avenues for growth. Help your neighbor be as much as he can be.

I can easier tell you what color someones eyes were than what color their skin was after talking with them for five minutes. That makes me a horrible witness in a crime scene, perhaps, but a better judge of character which I feel is more important.

Forum List

Back