Segregated spelling Bee???

The Infidel

EVIL CONSERVATIVE
May 19, 2010
AMERITOPIA

Give me a freeking break!

What an emabarrassing thing to do to young black kids. This is just a nice way to say..."you cant compete and win unless we create your own lil spelling bee"

Pathetic and simply wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically... its a couple of folks from Houston being interviewed regarding the african American spelling bee being hosted here in Houston. Only young black kids can compete in it, and I think it is degrading to blacks.

It says they cant compete and win otherwise.

Michael Berry makes a great point about Jackie Robinson and the "negro leagues" 1:49 mins in

How can they expect to be the best of the best?

Last edited:
I have to agree. Until the African American community stops segregating itself, a certain segment of African Americans are going to continue to see themselves as 'handicapped' or 'victimized' or 'discriminated against' or 'less advantaged' or whatever. This kind of thing almost certainly suggests that African American kids are incapable of competing with other kids and that does them a huge disservice.

And that doesn't even touch on the double standard. Can you imagine the howls and screams if somebody organized a 'white's only' spelling bee?

I have to agree. Until the African American community stops segregating itself, a certain segment of African Americans are going to continue to see themselves as 'handicapped' or 'victimized' or 'discriminated against' or 'less advantaged' or whatever. This kind of thing almost certainly suggests that African American kids are incapable of competing with other kids and that does them a huge disservice.

And that doesn't even touch on the double standard. Can you imagine the howls and screams if somebody organized a 'white's only' spelling bee?

^ ^ ^ This? 100% agree.

Basically... its a couple of folks from Houston being interviewed regarding the african American spelling bee being hosted here in Houston. Only young black kids can compete in it, and I think it is degrading to blacks.

It says they cant compete and win otherwise.

Michael Berry makes a great point about Jackie Robinson and the "negro leagues" 1:49 mins in

How can they expect to be the best of the best?

I'm confused because I thought the whole point of the Civil Rights movement was to integrate both blacks and whites, I agree this doesn't make any damn sense, I wouldn't want my kid in that spelling bee.

I can see the point, but I'm also glad to see a form of academic achievement being promoted in the African American community. If other groups want to hold their own spelling bees, then they should.

I can see the point, but I'm also glad to see a form of academic achievement being promoted in the African American community. If other groups want to hold their own spelling bees, then they should.

I see what they are attempting to do, but I think it sends the wrong message.

I'd love to see academic excellence become a core value of African-American culture to the point where they drop the hyphenation. Until it does, having academic competition in the community is a good bridge. My two cents.

I'd love to see academic excellence become a core value of African-American culture to the point where they drop the hyphenation. Until it does, having academic competition in the community is a good bridge. My two cents.

Fair enough

Point well taken and certainly worthy of consideration and discussion.

My gut instincts tell me, however, that as long as there IS an African American community that sees itself separate from society at large, academic excellence is not likely to become a priority.

Point well taken and certainly worthy of consideration and discussion.

My gut instincts tell me, however, that as long as there IS an African American community that sees itself separate from society at large, academic excellence is not likely to become a priority.

I have heard people tell me black children did better in school before integration, is this really true?

I sort of think the same thing. I mean, the global community pisses and moans about the rate of crime and the educational level of the black community; to improve those things you really do have to target them.

So starting them in a black spelling club, essentially, is a good way to target the kids. It's just kinda hard to handle because it is, innately, racist. If they'd just remove the requirement that they be black...but the question then is, would it have the same effect?

well, it gets worse FF;

DAYTON -- The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits.

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.

Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test.

Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.

The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That's the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’.

“It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,” said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane. “It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."

“The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,” agreed Dayton NAACP President Derrick Foward.

The D.O.J. and Civil Service Board declined Dayton’s News Source’s repeat requests for interviews. The lower standards mean 258 more people passed the test. The city won't say how many were minorities.

snip-
The D.O.J. has forced other police departments across the country to lower testing standards, citing once again that not enough black candidates were passing.

more at-

Dayton's News Source :: Top Stories - Civil Service Board Announces Police Recruit Scores

they don't have much faith in getting the requisite number of minorities firefighters either they went on to say in the fireman's test scheduled this summer and hey foresee have to lower those standards as well.

What an emabarrassing thing to do to young black kids. This is just a nice way to say..."you cant compete and win unless we create your own lil spelling bee"

Agreed. There are some on here who believe races should be separate. I obviously don't agree with that, but the people who are holding this spelling bee do.

I saw a billboard the other day in a predominantly black part of town with an advertisement about a business being 100% black owned and run. I just had to shake my head and keep driving.

I dunno..I have lots of white clients and acquaintances that not only can't spell, they can't write or speak eloquently, either.

In fact, I see it nowhere so much as at my online classes, and when I was younger I saw it at school....there are a lot of people who have zero command of the language..including spelling.

I dunno..I have lots of white clients and acquaintances that not only can't spell, they can't write or speak eloquently, either.

In fact, I see it nowhere so much as at my online classes, and when I was younger I saw it at school....there are a lot of people who have zero command of the language..including spelling.

I think this is becoming a problem across the board, there are schools in Texas, New Mexico and California where there are classes full of kids who don't speak the English language.

Agreed. There are some on here who believe races should be separate. I obviously don't agree with that, but the people who are holding this spelling bee do.

I saw a billboard the other day in a predominantly black part of town with an advertisement about a business being 100% black owned and run. I just had to shake my head and keep driving.

Bizarro. I'm not in the city so we don't deal with that sort of thing. We don't even have billboards, lol. But we do get advertisements on the radio and other venues for Hispanic businesses. I don't know if they advertise THAT they're Hispanic, but they advertise in Spanish, and all the other businesses always have someone who states they speak Spanish. It's the same thing. I think it's natural, I just don't know really how we should react to it, or if we even should.

Sounds to me like they dont want anyone else's patronage other than blacks... so I'd "drive by" too. :tongue:

Forum List

Back