Segregated spelling Bee???

How can it be "pathetic" and "simply wrong" to advance education to a group of children who statistically are behind their peers of other races? With all of the school districts affected by budget cuts and lack of time to adequately teach spelling in our inner city schools, we need our community organizations to provide another avenue for children to get the training they need to be able to compete.

I recommend that you read the book Escalante: the Best Teacher in America or watch the movie "Stand and Deliver" based on the book. Be aware that it is a true story. And then tell me that kids benefit from being treated differently or separately because they are behind. How much more will their self esteem, confidence, and belief in themselves be boosted if they can be convinced that they are as good as anybody else, they can catch up with a lot of hard work, and can prepare themselves to compete with anybody anywhere.

loved the movie. but did you know that the kids did cheat?

How can it be "pathetic" and "simply wrong" to advance education to a group of children who statistically are behind their peers of other races? With all of the school districts affected by budget cuts and lack of time to adequately teach spelling in our inner city schools, we need our community organizations to provide another avenue for children to get the training they need to be able to compete.

I recommend that you read the book Escalante: the Best Teacher in America or watch the movie "Stand and Deliver" based on the book. Be aware that it is a true story. And then tell me that kids benefit from being treated differently or separately because they are behind. How much more will their self esteem, confidence, and belief in themselves be boosted if they can be convinced that they are as good as anybody else, they can catch up with a lot of hard work, and can prepare themselves to compete with anybody anywhere.

No I don't know that they cheated. I know they were accused of cheating but passed a subsequent test. As did many subsequent years following as that school increased the number of students qualified for advanced math placement every year.

Last edited:
These people obviously believe that blacks cannot compete with whites and/or asians. If I were black I'd be offended.

The separation of blacks from a multi-racial spelling bee is a natual occurrence.

No I don't know that they cheated. I know they were accused of cheating but passed a subsequent test. As did many subsequent years following as that school increased the number of students qualified for advanced math placement every year.

yah, one of Escalante's biographers talked to the kids, then grown up, and they told him that they had foolishly passed around a note with an incorrect answer to one of the hard questions. All or at least most of them would have passed. So the white guys from the testing dept werent the racists that the movie made them out to be.

it is an interesting question to debate whether they should have been allowed to rewrite the exam or not. I kinda think that not providing the proof of cheating turned out to do more good than harm but it makes you wonder how many other cases of 'racism' would look different if you knew all the facts rather than just the media's spin on them.

Give me a freeking break!
What an emabarrassing thing to do to young black kids. This is just a nice way to say..."you cant compete and win unless we create your own lil spelling bee"
Pathetic and simply wrong!
So Blacks are admitting now that Segregation is the way to go?

Forum List

Back