Scalise Withdraws From House Speaker Race

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., has withdrawn from the House speaker race after he failed to unite the Republican conference around his candidacy.

"I just shared with my colleagues that I'm withdrawing my name as a candidate for the speaker designate," the Louisiana Republican told reporters on Thursday night, just one day after he narrowly won the support of his conference over Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, the Trump-endorsed pick for speaker and the House Judiciary Committee.

But as the hours wore on, it became clearer and clearer that Scalise could not win over his detractors. At least 19 House Republicans opposed his candidacy as of Thursday evening, according to a Spectrum News tally.

"Our conference still has to come together and is not there," he added. "There are still some people that have their own agendas, and I was very clear we have to have everybody put their agendas on the side and focus on what this country needs.”

"This House of Representatives needs a speaker and we need to open up the house again," he said. "But clearly, not everybody is there. And they're still schisms, that has to get resolved."

Scalise has been the No. 2-ranking House Republican since 2019 and part of Republican House leadership since 2014. The Louisiana Republican, who turned 58 last week, was nearly killed in 2017 when a left-wing extremist opened fire on lawmakers during a practice for the annual congressional baseball game, wounding Scalise and three others.

This is a developing story. Check back later for updates.

Scalise withdraws from House speaker race - NY1

Well, that's a fine mess! What will they do now? What do you think?

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Scalise withdraws from Speaker race. No details or link yet.

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., has withdrawn from the House speaker race after he failed to unite the Republican conference around his candidacy. "I just shared with my colleagues that I'm withdrawing my name as a candidate for the speaker designate," the Louisiana Republican told reporters.8 mins ago

He should withdraw from politics and public life

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., has withdrawn from the House speaker race after he failed to unite the Republican conference around his candidacy.

"I just shared with my colleagues that I'm withdrawing my name as a candidate for the speaker designate," the Louisiana Republican told reporters on Thursday night, just one day after he narrowly won the support of his conference over Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, the Trump-endorsed pick for speaker and the House Judiciary Committee.

But as the hours wore on, it became clearer and clearer that Scalise could not win over his detractors. At least 19 House Republicans opposed his candidacy as of Thursday evening, according to a Spectrum News tally.

"Our conference still has to come together and is not there," he added. "There are still some people that have their own agendas, and I was very clear we have to have everybody put their agendas on the side and focus on what this country needs.”

"This House of Representatives needs a speaker and we need to open up the house again," he said. "But clearly, not everybody is there. And they're still schisms, that has to get resolved."

Scalise has been the No. 2-ranking House Republican since 2019 and part of Republican House leadership since 2014. The Louisiana Republican, who turned 58 last week, was nearly killed in 2017 when a left-wing extremist opened fire on lawmakers during a practice for the annual congressional baseball game, wounding Scalise and three others.

This is a developing story. Check back later for updates.

Well, that's a fine mess! What will they do now? What do you think?
The Republican party is broken. Trump and MAGA broke the Republican party. Trump and MAGA will break the USDA if they are not stopped.

The Republican party is broken. Trump and MAGA broke the Republican party. Trump and MAGA will break the USDA if they are not stopped.

they’ve been broken for decades. You’re just now noticing? They vote for $33T DEM lunatic spending. Then they yell about it later. No Mas Senior if decent folks have a say in it.

Scalise is another Mccarthy but w/o a skirt on. We real people demand change. Not changing a woman to a man, but real common-sense reform top to bottom.

If Scalise is indeed out, that is one step closer to a Dem minority alliance with a GOP rump dissident faction to make Jeffries Speaker.

Jordan does not have a Swede's chance in Norway.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL), chairman of the Armed Services Committee, “emerged from a contentious closed-door meeting of House Republicans to tell reporters that Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries should spell out what concessions he would require to help the GOP elect a speaker,” Bloomberg reports.

Forum List

Back