Save Energy - Paint Roofs and High-ways White!

And you should be required to paint your car white to reduce your need for AC in your car.

:lol: THAT'S next, can't you see the ''change'' ;) on the horizon?

actually, people do this already.....i have read that more white cars are sold in the south than anywhere in America! blah! white cars are boring! though they do keep your dashboard from melting and cracking...of which i owned 2 cars that did such, when i lived in florida!

You can get this car in any color you want, as long as it's white.
Maybe that will be Government Motors new motto, next week. :eusa_whistle:

I’m not sure why science hating conservatives, who voted for Bush twice, thought the Iraq war was a great idea, and thought deregulating wall street made great economic sense, have any credibility to tell us anything.

These armchair wanna be scientists don’t have engineering degrees and probably couldn’t calculate a quadratic function if their lives depended on it. And yet, after they read something on the Limbaugh website for five minutes, they come on here like emotional school girls to inform us this shit is idiotic.

On the other hand, three of the nations top Scientists, at the most prestigious science lab in the nation – Lawrence Livermore – say that increasing albedo would have a demonstrable effect on energy efficiency and carbon footprint. Its not a magic bullet, there is no one magic bullet. But why not try out everything the experts say would work?

In short, who would you rather believe? Actual top rate scientists from Lawrence Livermore Lab?

Or anonymous rightwing message board posters, who voted for Bush twice, and get their science information from Glenn Beck?
Oh, so your appeal to authority can beat up their appeal to authority!! :rofl:

Our estimated CO2 offsets from albedo modifications are dependent on assumptions used in this study,

key phrase

what do your calculations show, and what is your science degree in?

Oh, I'm sorry! :redface:

You don't have any calculations, you don't have a degree in science, and the last exposure you had to science was cutting open a frog in 10th grade biology class 40 years ago.

My bad! :redface:

why didn't you just say you didn't have the foggiest fucking clue what the science behind this was, and you were simply reacting emotionally to "evil liberal scientists?

The environuts really believe that Man can actually change Mother Nature by painting roof tops? :cuckoo: Geeze, you can paint all the highways, and all the roofs in the world white...and it will end up having no impact whatsoever, nada, none, zilch.
I wish the nuts would come down off their pedestals, and get a fucking grip on reality. We just aren't all that, where we can change what has been going on for billions of years on this planet.
This is no more than just politics, no more, and no less. Yet the environuts have drank the Kool-Aid. It has nothing to do with the environment, but some on this thread have been duped. I'm just glad they weren't at Jones Town back in the late 1970's. They would surely be part of the 800+ laying on the ground.

The environuts really believe that Man can actually change Mother Nature by painting roof tops? :cuckoo: Geeze, you can paint all the highways, and all the roofs in the world white...and it will end up having no impact whatsoever, nada, none, zilch.

Of course it will have an impact.

The question is how much?

Depends on how much is painted. It could range from imperceptable to enormous.

From a micro-climate perspective it could be very perceptable in the cities, for example.

I wish the nuts would come down off their pedestals, and get a fucking grip on reality. We just aren't all that, where we can change what has been going on for billions of years on this planet.

You sir, are sort of an idiot if you actually believe that.

Life has been effecting the climate since life first manfested on this planet. It is impossble for life on this planet NOT to effect the planet's climate to some degree or the other.

As the current dominant species, and one with an enormous impact thanks to our technology, the effect on micro-climates are obvious.

Just compare the temperatures between any major city and the surrounding suburbs.

The manmade effects on the world's climate overall is VERY debatable, of course.

But the debate isn't: are we having an effect? ; because, of course, there is no way we cannot behave some effect on the climate.

Every time I light a cigarette or you drive you car we are both effecting the composition of the world's atmosphere somewhat, yes?

So the debate can only be: how much effect are we having?

Last edited:
No edit... it will not

It does not magically go back into space... you have the atmosphere and other things to have the 'rays' filtered back through.... While it can effect (at times) heat absorption for a house roof or whatever.. this will do ABSOLUTELY nothing for 'global warming'

This is junk science... plain and simple...

No edit... it will not

It does not magically go back into space... you have the atmosphere and other things to have the 'rays' filtered back through.... While it can effect (at times) heat absorption for a house roof or whatever.. this will do ABSOLUTELY nothing for 'global warming'

If you imagine that the amount of reflecting light that escapes into space with being coverted from light into infra-red spectrum isn't going to effect the world's temperature, David, nobody has the time to teach you basic physics.

You really ought to bone up on this subject because you're making yourself look like a complete moron.

No edit... it will not

If you imagine that the amount of reflecting light that escapes into space with being coverted from light into infra-red spectrum isn't going to effect the world's temperature, David, nobody has the time to teach you basic physics.

You really ought to bone up on this subject because you're making yourself look like a complete moron.

Pardon me?? I have probably had more science and physics classes and education under my belt than you EVER have, edit

This is bogus and bullshit science... it can have an effect on the structure in question (and a negative effect in the winter when heat absorption is wanted).. it is not going to have an effect on a global scale for the environment... period... this limited light reflection is not making it back out to space

No edit... it will not

Pardon me?? I have probably had more science and physics classes and education under my belt than you EVER have, edit

This is bogus and bullshit science... it can have an effect on the structure in question (and a negative effect in the winter when heat absorption is wanted).. it is not going to have an effect on a global scale for the environment... period... this limited light reflection is not making it back out to space
It lessens the money spent and energy used to cool a home.

Optimally we'd have some kind of rotating tiles on our rooves to absorb heat when it is cold and to reflect it when it is hot.

Of course it will have an impact.

The question is how much?

Depends on how much is painted. It could range from imperceptable to enormous.

From a micro-climate perspective it could be very perceptable in the cities, for example.

You sir, are sort of an idiot if you actually believe that.

Life has been effecting the climate since life first manfested on this planet. It is impossble for life on this planet NOT to effect the planet's climate to some degree or the other.

As the current dominant species, and one with an enormous impact thanks to our technology, the effect on micro-climates are obvious.

Just compare the temperatures between any major city and the surrounding suburbs.

The manmade effects on the world's climate overall is VERY debatable, of course.

But the debate isn't: are we having an effect? ; because, of course, there is no way we cannot behave some effect on the climate.
Every time I light a cigarette or you drive you car we are both effecting the composition of the world's atmosphere somewhat, yes?
So the debate can only be: how much effect are we having?[/I]

Sir....there is an idiot between the 2 of us...and I'm not it. I see you haven't found the steps that lead down from your pedestal yet.
Hypothetical....if you could paint all the roofs white in the world, and also paint all the highways in thw world. Then take a trip to the moon and look back on the Earth....wanna know if you could even see what you accomplished? Couldn't see anything, because the Earth is soooo large, and you and I are just the peons of it. Like I said, get a grip on reality.

The only debate on effect that your having is in yours, and other environuts heads.

Optimally we'd have some kind of rotating tiles on our rooves to absorb heat when it is cold and to reflect it when it is hot.

And the energy to rotate the tiles comes from?? And the gaps there allowing the tile rotation do what for the total insulation? Not to mention are you going to continually WASH your white roof and the energy you need to the delivery of water, production of cleaning supplies, etc comes from where? And as stated, this does not just get magically reflected all the way back to space

This is just more feed for the global warming scare tactics

When i was in Bermuda on vacay a couple of years ago, all of the roofs were white, and all of the roofs were hip roofs, that had channels in them to collect rain water for their own personal use, dropped down in to a cistern in their lower level basements, then filtered and used as drinking water.

There is nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box imho.

As far as roofs being painted, not certain that can really be done, but no reason that future homes built in the south, could not be built with lighter roofs or built to recapture rain water for drinking....we are behind the times on these type of things.

And if an asphault can be developed that is not black or dark grey that can be topped on our roads, why not? Why complain???

care
Latex paint maybe? Have you any idea of the TRILLIONS of gallons it would take to paint all the roofs white?

Who's gonna pay for it? Who's gonna get filthy rich off of it? What would be the ENVIRONMENTAL consequences?

Come on now....
There is nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box imho.
There's also nothing wrong with saying something an Obama droid such as this guy said, is Stoopid!

Not to mention how much to KEEP it all white.

If the plan is ever adopted, I'm investing in companies that manufacture sunglasses.

It's all about shades, man.

And the energy to rotate the tiles comes from??
The owner of the home...it shouldn't be difficult or require electricity to pull a lever.

And the gaps there allowing the tile rotation do what for the total insulation? Not to mention are you going to continually WASH your white roof and the energy you need to the delivery of water, production of cleaning supplies, etc comes from where?
My last house had white tiles that I never had to clean...the rain does a pretty good job and the sun kills the mold that might result from the humidity.

And as stated, this does not just get magically reflected all the way back to space

I've no idea what this magically reflected silliness is about. I can tell you that having a light colored roof in a hot climate saves money and energy.

And as stated, this does not just get magically reflected all the way back to space

I've no idea what this magically reflected silliness is about. I can tell you that having a light colored roof in a hot climate saves money and energy.

If any of you have been to Bermuda, you've seen a whole lot of white roofs.

Nobody is denying that it helps in the very immediate area of the roof, but not on the global level that is being stated

Nobody is denying that it helps in the very immediate area of the roof, but not on the global level that is being stated

How do you know?

Can you please post your calculations that demonstrate this, and provide us with your engineering pedigree and education?

Or, are you just pulling shit out of your ass, with absolutly zero empirical data to back your assertion up?

I'm going to trust the calcualtions of three top scientists, from one on the nation's top science labs, before I trust your "opinion". Unless you can provide your calculations that back up your statement.

How do you know?

Can you please post your calculations that demonstrate this, and provide us with your engineering pedigree and education?

Or, are you just pulling shit out of your ass, with absolutly zero empirical data to back your assertion up?

I'm going to trust the calcualtions of three top scientists, from one on the nation's top science labs, before I trust your "opinion". Unless you can provide your calculations that back up your statement.

Show me the links to where painting roofs white will lower global temperatures, and while your at it show me their calculations.....
Or, are you just listening to the ones that are pulling it out of their asses? For God sakes, you are such a fool. :cuckoo:

How do you know?

Show me the links to where painting roofs white will lower global temperatures, and while your at it show me their calculations.....
Or, are you just listening to the ones that are pulling it out of their asses? For God sakes, you are such a fool. :cuckoo:

I was under the impression he was calling for a change both in rooves and roads.

I have no idea how much effect that might have globally, but I promise that it would effect places that are highly paved...like New Jersey for example, which is, I am informed, the most highly paved place in the world percentage-wise.

Forum List

Back