Save Energy - Paint Roofs and High-ways White!

When i was in Bermuda on vacay a couple of years ago, all of the roofs were white, and all of the roofs were hip roofs, that had channels in them to collect rain water for their own personal use, dropped down in to a cistern in their lower level basements, then filtered and used as drinking water.

There is nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box imho.

As far as roofs being painted, not certain that can really be done, but no reason that future homes built in the south, could not be built with lighter roofs or built to recapture rain water for drinking....we are behind the times on these type of things.

And if an asphault can be developed that is not black or dark grey that can be topped on our roads, why not? Why complain???

care

Rain barrels are a great idea for capturing the rain water to water hanging baskets and other plants in the summer. We meant to make one last year and never got around to it. Thanks for a reminder!

Here Barry, you go first and show us how it's done.

white-paint-roof-01.jpg

When i was in Bermuda on vacay a couple of years ago, all of the roofs were white, and all of the roofs were hip roofs, that had channels in them to collect rain water for their own personal use, dropped down in to a cistern in their lower level basements, then filtered and used as drinking water.

As far as roofs being painted, not certain that can really be done, but no reason that future homes built in the south, could not be built with lighter roofs or built to recapture rain water for drinking....we are behind the times on these type of things.

And if an asphault can be developed that is not black or dark grey that can be topped on our roads, why not? Why complain???

care

Rain barrels are a great idea for capturing the rain water to water hanging baskets and other plants in the summer. We meant to make one last year and never got around to it. Thanks for a reminder!

I'm sorry but that's hording water---unfair to your fellow man :lol:

care

Oh I was planning on divvying it up amongst the neighbors so we could all have a fair share of the rain water. S'ok -- I'll foot the bill for the material for the rain barrel, I'll collect it, and I'll divvy it up as others sit on their ass and sip an icy cold one. Sound about right? :D

Last edited:

Oh I was planning on divvying it up amongst the neighbors so we could all have a fair share of the rain water. S'ok -- I'll foot the bill for the material for the rain barrel, I'll collect it, and I'll divvy it up as others sit on their ass and sip an icy cold one. Sound about right? :D

ok dammit----I guess it's ok if you put it that way. Paint everyones house white frist tho please

The rays of the sun don't become heat until they ABSORBED and dark colors absorb the most heat. So reflecting the suns rays before they are converted into heat will slow global warming.
You have dodged several questions about this, not the least of which, if we all have solar panels on our roofs, doesn't that sort of fuck the white roof theory?

Stop trying to defend these idiots and have some intellectual honesty. Suggesting we paint all roofs white is toweringly, titanically stupid and if one of the Boooosh people had suggested it you would be all over it like a hobo on a bologna sandwich.

It's stupid and counter productive. Have you any idea how much pollution is generated making paint?

Take off your Obama Jesus glasses.

The rays of the sun don't become heat until they ABSORBED and dark colors absorb the most heat. So reflecting the suns rays before they are converted into heat will slow global warming.
You have dodged several questions about this, not the least of which, if we all have solar panels on our roofs, doesn't that sort of fuck the white roof theory?

Stop trying to defend these idiots and have some intellectual honesty. Suggesting we paint all roofs white is toweringly, titanically stupid and if one of the Boooosh people had suggested it you would be all over it like a hobo on a bologna sandwich.

It's stupid and counter productive. Have you any idea how much pollution is generated making paint?

Take off your Obama Jesus glasses.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

bouncebigr.gif

ok dammit----I guess it's ok if you put it that way. Paint everyones house white frist tho please

Ok, but Barry has to go first. You know to show us the right way to do it. Cause I sure wouldn't want to screw up something as phenomenal as a roof paint job!

Ok, but Barry has to go first. You know to show us the right way to do it. Cause I sure wouldn't want to screw up something as phenomenal as a roof paint job!

no fair--his house is already white

See, I even have a problem with this guy's theory. You have an atmosphere that is allegedly heating the planet, which is in turn allegedly heating the oceans, allegedly causing glaciers to melt, and he wants to reflect the sun's rays back into the atmosphere?

Hehehe LimpBoy "logic."

May 27, 2009
RUSH: Here's the real question about this. I need a scientist to answer this for me. I understand how clouds at altitude can help reflect the heat. But I want to know how something white on the surface of the planet, where does that reflected heat go? If the road is white, and the heat reflects, aren't you going to boil if you happen to be walking on it in the summertime? Where does this reflected heat go? Are we being told here that reflected heat is not damaging at all but direct heat is? It seems to me if we had global warming wouldn't we want dark roofs to absorb the heat? Yeah, it may be cooling your house a little bit, but… This is all such gobbledygook.

What a moron! ROFLMAO

I agree that you are accurately describing yourself here.

Rush Limbaugh has nothing to do with this thread. Obviously, you are unable to come up with any sort of cognizant argument to support your ridiculous positions if you have to start with attacking Rush in the thread.

And Rush's "logic" is faulty because he is using the premises created by the global warming nuts like yourself. It's faulty because your reasoning is stupid and taking any of your assertions to their logical conclusion is going to come up with something completely absurd. You see, that's what Rush does, he demonstrates the absurdity of your viewpoints by taking them to their conclusion.

Now, back to the topic on hand. This is completely ridiculous. It's ideas like this one that makes it obvious that global warming is a hoax believed by the gullible.

Oh, and while im thinking about it I have to respond to this:

How many people do you know who boiled walking on WHITE snow?

This has to be the dumbest thing Ive ever seen anyone say. And I've read Chris's posts. Of course no ones ever been boiled by walking on white snow. Because snow cannot exist above freezing tempature you freaking idiot. The color of the snow is irrelevant. You've never been boiled walking on black or yellow snow either.

But Im willing to bet youd get pretty damn hot on a white sun.

Obviously you are the smart guy and Rush is just a moron. right...

care

Well--again building codes reflect that R38 insulation be put into the attic--R-38 is the equivalent of 38 single pane windows. Therefore, there is no benefit of painting your roof white--your air-conditioning bill will be the same.

The roads? Going from black-top to white-top? Would reflect heat back into the air--not absorb it into the road.

See, I even have a problem with this guy's theory. You have an atmosphere that is allegedly heating the planet, which is in turn allegedly heating the oceans, allegedly causing glaciers to melt, and he wants to reflect the sun's rays back into the atmosphere?

The theory being, that homes and buildings with white roofs would use less fossil fuels to air condition? To heat?

Solar panels on every roof would sort of fuck with this plan, would they not?

It's completely nonsensical.

I haven't dodged anything, I pointed out the stupidity of thinking that reflecting the sun's rays back into space will further warm the planet!!! The suns rays have to be converted to heat and if they are reflected back into space they are not being converted into heat. It has nothing to do with air conditioning or fossil fuels, that's just your red herring. The more of the sun's rays that are reflected the less rays get converted to heat and less heat is generated globally. It's pretty obvious since we don't use fossil fuel to air condition the roads.

As far as solar panels go, everybody does not have them on their roofs and there certainly are no solar panels on the roads. So that's just more stupidity on your part.

You just want to whine about President Obama and you don't care how scientifically ignorant it makes you look. Had Bush or Reagan said the same thing you would be calling it brilliant.

I have no idea what the net effect would be, but certainly white surfaces reflect more light (and hence create less heat) than darker surfaces will.

Hehehe LimpBoy "logic."

May 27, 2009
RUSH: Here's the real question about this. I need a scientist to answer this for me. I understand how clouds at altitude can help reflect the heat. But I want to know how something white on the surface of the planet, where does that reflected heat go? If the road is white, and the heat reflects, aren't you going to boil if you happen to be walking on it in the summertime? Where does this reflected heat go? Are we being told here that reflected heat is not damaging at all but direct heat is? It seems to me if we had global warming wouldn't we want dark roofs to absorb the heat? Yeah, it may be cooling your house a little bit, but… This is all such gobbledygook.

What a moron! ROFLMAO

I agree that you are accurately describing yourself here.

Rush Limbaugh has nothing to do with this thread. Obviously, you are unable to come up with any sort of cognizant argument to support your ridiculous positions if you have to start with attacking Rush in the thread.

And Rush's "logic" is faulty because he is using the premises created by the global warming nuts like yourself. It's faulty because your reasoning is stupid and taking any of your assertions to their logical conclusion is going to come up with something completely absurd. You see, that's what Rush does, he demonstrates the absurdity of your viewpoints by taking them to their conclusion.

Now, back to the topic on hand. This is completely ridiculous. It's ideas like this one that makes it obvious that global warming is a hoax believed by the gullible.

Oh, and while im thinking about it I have to respond to this:

How many people do you know who boiled walking on WHITE snow?

This has to be the dumbest thing Ive ever seen anyone say. And I've read Chris's posts. Of course no ones ever been boiled by walking on white snow. Because snow cannot exist above freezing tempature you freaking idiot. The color of the snow is irrelevant. You've never been boiled walking on black or yellow snow either.

But Im willing to bet youd get pretty damn hot on a white sun.

Obviously you are the smart guy and Rush is just a moron. right...

LimpBoy has everything to do with this thread, you morons are stupidly parroting his rationalizations.

And his "logic" is flawed because it is not HEAT that is reflected!!!!!!!!
That is very very basic science. LimpBoy is not taking anything to its conclusion because he is using his OWN stupid premiss that white reflects HEAT. No climatologist ever said white reflects heat, not even the deniers. Only LimpBoy and his ditto-dopers are stupid enough not to know white reflects the rays of the sun, ONLY the rays that are NOT reflected are converted to heat.

Now what I did with the boiling on white snow was illustrate LimpBoy's absurdity by being absurd, LimpBoy's tactic turned against him. But since you are too stupid to know white does not reflect heat, it went completely over your head. ROFLMAO

care

Well--again building codes reflect that R38 insulation be put into the attic--R-38 is the equivalent of 38 single pane windows. Therefore, there is no benefit of painting your roof white--your air-conditioning bill will be the same.

The roads? Going from black-top to white-top? Would reflect heat back into the air--not absorb it into the road.

Yet another moron too stupid to know white does not reflect HEAT simply because LimpBoy told him it does!!! ROFLMAO LMAO LMAO

I haven't dodged anything, I pointed out the stupidity of thinking that reflecting the sun's rays back into space will further warm the planet!!! The suns rays have to be converted to heat and if they are reflected back into space they are not being converted into heat. It has nothing to do with air conditioning or fossil fuels, that's just your red herring. The more of the sun's rays that are reflected the less rays get converted to heat and less heat is generated globally. It's pretty obvious since we don't use fossil fuel to air condition the roads.

As far as solar panels go, everybody does not have them on their roofs and there certainly are no solar panels on the roads. So that's just more stupidity on your part.

You just want to whine about President Obama and you don't care how scientifically ignorant it makes you look. Had Bush or Reagan said the same thing you would be calling it brilliant.
I suppose you don't understand the theory of global warming and how the molecules in the air absorb sunlight and convert it into heat. And yes, you continue to cherry-pick points you'll respond to, while dodging others which you cannot respond to. You also seem to make the ASSumption that I listen to Limbaugh. I do not.

I simply understand what you do not -- that this is really stupid and if a Boooosh appointee had said it, you would be all over it letting the world know how stupid it really is.

Partisan hacks such as yourself blindly, instinctively rush in to defend The Obama, with willing suspension of intellect. Just like any science fiction moviegoer. Rooting for the hero and enjoying the show is much more important to you than the facts and the science are.

Your willing ignorance is surpassed only by your dishonesty.

Forum List

Back