Save Energy - Paint Roofs and High-ways White!

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
Obama's green guru calls for white roofs - Telegraph

"Professor Steven Chu, the US Energy Secretary, said the unusual proposal would mean homes in hot countries would save energy and money on air conditioning by deflecting the sun's rays.

More pale surfaces could also slow global warming by reflecting heat into space rather than allowing it to be absorbed by dark surfaces where it is trapped by greenhouse gases and increases temperatures.

The Nobel Prize-winning physicist said the US was not considering any large scale "geo-engineering" projects where science is used to reverse global warming, but was in favour of "white roofs everywhere".

He said lightening roofs and roads in urban environments would offset the global warming effects of all the cars in the world for 11 years.

"If you look at all the buildings and if you make the roofs white and if you make the pavement more of a concrete type of colour rather than a black type of colour and if you do that uniformally, that would be the equivalent of... reducing the carbon emissions due to all the cars in the world by 11 years – just taking them off the road for 11 years," he said."

You might think that it's a joke that he's recommending roofs and highways be painted, but listen up; at least some who speak out for Obama are saying just that.

Never mind the impracticality of painting roofs period, the heat that is produced by the roof-plane escapes by convection from vents in the ridge and the eaves. Present requirements of R-38 resistance to heat/cold penetration in building codes have reached the point of diminishing returns for the cost of increasing the insulation and the dollars saved. Only flat roofs where insulation is limited by it's thickness, or the space is not accessible would be only improveable by painting them white, and they are for the most part covered with a light colored aggregate mineral surface already.

How many highways are really black, even "black-topped" or asphalt paved surfaces turn a medium grey in just a few years. In subdivisions we "coat" our black-top drives to make them look black and fresh once again. Highways paved with concrete are a pretty light grey immediately.

I for one question if this suggestion should even be given the light of day, especially in a public forum as is being reported.

There is an advantage to letting these people talk their fool heads off; the American people are for the most part practical, and recognize when they are being led by fools.

"In a wide-ranging discussion at the three-day Nobel laureate Symposium in London, the Professor described climate change as a "crisis situation"

It almost seems that he went there unprepared with anything better, to pull that idea out of his hat at a symposium like this one.

Last edited:
When i was in Bermuda on vacay a couple of years ago, all of the roofs were white, and all of the roofs were hip roofs, that had channels in them to collect rain water for their own personal use, dropped down in to a cistern in their lower level basements, then filtered and used as drinking water.

There is nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box imho.

As far as roofs being painted, not certain that can really be done, but no reason that future homes built in the south, could not be built with lighter roofs or built to recapture rain water for drinking....we are behind the times on these type of things.

And if an asphault can be developed that is not black or dark grey that can be topped on our roads, why not? Why complain???

care

When i was in Bermuda on vacay a couple of years ago, all of the roofs were white, and all of the roofs were hip roofs, that had channels in them to collect rain water for their own personal use, dropped down in to a cistern in their lower level basements, then filtered and used as drinking water.

As far as roofs being painted, not certain that can really be done, but no reason that future homes built in the south, could not be built with lighter roofs or built to recapture rain water for drinking....we are behind the times on these type of things.

And if an asphault can be developed that is not black or dark grey that can be topped on our roads, why not? Why complain???

care
And you should be required to paint your car white to reduce your need for AC in your car.

care
Latex paint maybe? Have you any idea of the TRILLIONS of gallons it would take to paint all the roofs white?

Who's gonna pay for it? Who's gonna get filthy rich off of it? What would be the ENVIRONMENTAL consequences?

Come on now....
There's also nothing wrong with saying something an Obama droid such as this guy said, is Stoopid!

Last edited:

care
And you should be required to paint your car white to reduce your need for AC in your car.

:lol: THAT'S next, can't you see the ''change'' ;) on the horizon?

actually, people do this already.....i have read that more white cars are sold in the south than anywhere in America! blah! white cars are boring! though they do keep your dashboard from melting and cracking...of which i owned 2 cars that did such, when i lived in florida!

care

:lol: THAT'S next, can't you see the ''change'' ;) on the horizon?

actually, people do this already.....i have read that more white cars are sold in the south than anywhere in America! blah! white cars are boring! though they do keep your dashboard from melting and cracking...of which i owned 2 cars that did such, when i lived in florida!

You can get this car in any color you want, as long as it's white.

care
Latex paint maybe? Have you any idea of the TRILLIONS of gallons it would take to paint all the roofs white?

Who's gonna pay for it? Who's gonna get filthy rich off of it? What would be the ENVIRONMENTAL consequences?

Come on now....
There's also nothing wrong with saying something an Obama droid such as this guy said, is Stoopid!

Not to mention how much to KEEP it all white.

care

Come on now....

AS I said, there is no reason why newer homes could not be built in a lighter color....all the older homes in florida have white roofs...but for some reason, they changed and started doing them darker?

there is no reason, if you are replacing your roof, not to do it in a lighter, reflective color is there?

i said painting over roofs was not feasible or realistic BUT......on new homes, no reason not to....

same with the roads, no reason an asphalt shouldn/t be developed in a lighter color to reflect the sun....that could be used when reasphalting the roads in need of repair is there?

is this all about obama and i am missing it somehow, thus the rejection from the right without thought or consideration???

fyi, i did NOT vote for him?

care

AS I said, there is no reason why newer homes could not be built in a lighter color....
THAT is not what Obama's guy SAID or suggested. What he DID say and suggested isn't feasible. And it's stupid.
is this all about obama and i am missing it somehow, thus the rejection from the right without thought or consideration???

fyi, i did NOT vote for him?

care
I am not "from the right" either, FYI. I just know stupid shit when I read it.

Obama's green guru calls for white roofs - Telegraph

"Professor Steven Chu, the US Energy Secretary, said the unusual proposal would mean homes in hot countries would save energy and money on air conditioning by deflecting the sun's rays.

More pale surfaces could also slow global warming by reflecting heat into space rather than allowing it to be absorbed by dark surfaces where it is trapped by greenhouse gases and increases temperatures.

The Nobel Prize-winning physicist said the US was not considering any large scale "geo-engineering" projects where science is used to reverse global warming, but was in favour of "white roofs everywhere".

He said lightening roofs and roads in urban environments would offset the global warming effects of all the cars in the world for 11 years.

"If you look at all the buildings and if you make the roofs white and if you make the pavement more of a concrete type of colour rather than a black type of colour and if you do that uniformally, that would be the equivalent of... reducing the carbon emissions due to all the cars in the world by 11 years – just taking them off the road for 11 years," he said."

You might think that it's a joke that he's recommending roofs and highways be painted, but listen up; at least some who speak out for Obama are saying just that.

Never mind the impracticality of painting roofs period, the heat that is produced by the roof-plane escapes by convection from vents in the ridge and the eaves. Present requirements of R-38 resistance to heat/cold penetration in building codes have reached the point of diminishing returns for the cost of increasing the insulation and the dollars saved. Only flat roofs where insulation is limited by it's thickness, or the space is not accessible would be only improveable by painting them white, and they are for the most part covered with a light colored aggregate mineral surface already.

How many highways are really black, even "black-topped" or asphalt paved sufaces turn a medium grey in just a few years. In subdivisions we "coat" our black-top drives to make them look black and fresh once again. Highways paved with concrete are a pretty light grey immediately.

I for one question if this suggestion should even be given the light of day, especially in a public forum as is being reported.

There is an advantage to letting these people talk their fool heads off; the American people are for the most part practical, and recognize when they are being led by fools.

"In a wide-ranging discussion at the three-day Nobel laureate Symposium in London, the Professor described climate change as a "crisis situation"

It almost seems that he went there unprepared with anything better, to pull that idea out of his hat at a symposium like this one.

As obviously stupid as this idea is, it is frightening to then also know that it is just these kinds of people who are running our government...

are black people causing global warming?

:lol::lol:

al%2Bjolson%2Bblack%2Bface.jpg

Forum List

Back