Sarah Palin doing what she said she would do, back conservatives, not just a party.

When are the republicans going to figure out that the northeastern and western states are not going to elect candidates that conform the the radical rightwing agenda. You have to either elect a moderate republican or a Democrat.

Are they willing to cede both population zones to the Democrats?

A smaller government, lower taxes, strong national defense, and a commitment to individual liberty are the components of a radical rightwing agenda? Holy election, Batman, what are they thinking!

As if republicans actually did that when they get elected.

No, the radical right wing positions include abortion rights, gay rights, unrestricted gun access. The inability to find a middle ground dooms the republicans in these states

That's exactly the point, they don't.

So, exactly HOW is she helping out again? By fracturing the GOP?

Only helps the Dems.

She's more conservative than most of the GOP combined. The GOP saw a sign that said 'bear left' so they did. We already have a party of Democrats, why would anyone want two? One bird, two wings . . . . for balance. Can't be balanced with both wings on one side.

Balance?

She balances common sense with idiocy. Look at her "common sense" approach to teen pregnancy. See how well it's worked for her own family?

I haven't heard her pushing anything about teen pregnancy. Can you pop a link? Thanks.

Support Doug Hoffman
Yesterday at 5:28pm

The people of the 23rd Congressional District of New York are ready to shake things up, and Doug Hoffman is coming on strong as Election Day approaches! He needs our help now.

The votes of every member of Congress affect every American, so it's important for all of us to pay attention to this important Congressional campaign in upstate New York. I am very pleased to announce my support for Doug Hoffman in his fight to be the next Representative from New York's 23rd Congressional district. It's my honor to endorse Doug and to do what I can to help him win, including having my political action committee, SarahPAC, donate to his campaign the maximum contribution allowed by law.

Our nation is at a crossroads, and this is once again a "time for choosing."

The federal government borrows, spends, and prints too much money, while our national debt hits a record high. Government is growing while the private sector is shrinking, and unemployment is on the rise. Doug Hoffman is committed to ending the reckless spending in Washington, D.C. and the massive increase in the size and scope of the federal government. He is also fully committed to supporting our men and women in uniform as they seek to honorably complete their missions overseas.

And best of all, Doug Hoffman has not been anointed by any political machine.

Doug Hoffman stands for the principles that all Republicans should share: smaller government, lower taxes, strong national defense, and a commitment to individual liberty.

Political parties must stand for something. When Republicans were in the wilderness in the late 1970s, Ronald Reagan knew that the doctrine of "blurring the lines" between parties was not an appropriate way to win elections. Unfortunately, the Republican Party today has decided to choose a candidate who more than blurs the lines, and there is no real difference between the Democrat and the Republican in this race. This is why Doug Hoffman is running on the Conservative Party's ticket.

Republicans and conservatives around the country are sending an important message to the Republican establishment in their outstanding grassroots support for Doug Hoffman: no more politics as usual.

You can help Doug by visiting his official website below and joining me in supporting his campaign:
Doug Hoffman For Congress.

- Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin: Support Doug Hoffman | Facebook

I almost took a job working for Owens this election cycle - I decided not to because he's more conservative than Scozzafava, the republican. Doug Hoffman has no chance - the North Country of NY is more conservative than the rest of the state, but not that conservative.

Palin believes in smaller government, lower taxes, strong national defense, and a commitment to individual liberty. The GOP of recent doesn't seem to fit this bill.

She had a ghost writer for her book. And? Whole discussion of that here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/90006-palin-book-frenzy-stuns-media.html

Where is the track record showing she "believes" in any of those things? That list is just smoke blowing until it can be demonstrated how she stands by those principles. I wonder if her quitting her job will get cited as evidence she supports smaller government?

It's also hilarious to see people praising her for a book she didn't even write. Well, if her camp is going to thrive on manufactured outrage then manufactured credit will fit in well. That's the great perk of Fantasy Land.

She just came out in support of Doug Hoffman. Palin backs Hoffman in NY-23 - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com So you're telling me that she's supporting a candidate who's beliefs and principles she doesn't believe in?

She quit her job to better help rally the conservative base. She will do this much more effectively out of office vs. in office. So far, she's doing a bang up job.

Go read the thread about her ghost writer. You leftists crack me up with your conjured up bullshit.

When will you figure out that not supporting Palin doesn't mean one is a Leftist? Is your world so narrow and shallow everything has to be broken down to dishonest black and white terms?

Hoffman is the only evidence you can provide she is a Conservative? Why am I not surprised? You should be able to provide a track record of her beliefs in action. It's kind of strange the only evidence you cite is something she did AFTER SHE BETRAYED HER OATH OF OFFICE.

Let me give an example showing your claim is flat out wrong:

"Over the opposition of oil companies, Republican Gov. Sarah Palin and Alaska's Legislature last year approved a major increase in taxes on the oil industry — a step that has generated stunning new wealth for the state as oil prices soared."

SHE INCREASED TAXES!

(wait it gets better)

"Democrat Barack Obama supports a national windfall-profits tax, while Republican John McCain opposes it."

WOOHOO! Her and Obama doing the funky tax chicken!

(wow....yet another Dem she sided with)

"State Sen. Hollis French, an Anchorage Democrat who supported the windfall tax, said the oil companies " ... were literally printing money on the North Slope. We decided to strike the balance a little bit more on our side."

YIPPEEE!

This next one is so awesome!

"Palin's administration last week gained legislative approval for a special $1,200 payment to every Alaskan to help cope with gas prices, which are among the highest in the country"
Local News | Windfall tax lets Alaska rake in billions from Big Oil | Seattle Times Newspaper

So she TAXED the oil companies and found a way to REDISTRIBUTE THE WEALTH to Alaskans.

So what do we have on Taxes so far? She modeled herself after Carter and agrees with Obama on the Windfall Tax so she increased the hell out of taxes. Maybe you could point to Hoffman ever time someone shows why Palin is not a Conservative?

Like I said, it appears the bulk of Palin supporters don't have much knowledge about her.....or Politics in general.
(hmmm.....maybe if you call me a "Lefty" it will make everyone else ignore the information I just posted? We know you will try to anyways.....)

Good for her. I like her. I especially love how enraged the leftist ideologues get over her!! How dare she quit her shitty government job to make $7,000,000 from the productive sector on a book deal!!! How dare she be pretty!! How dare she be a regular American with a family and problems!! HOW DARE SHE!!!!! :lol:
how dare she take seven million over serving the people who elected her and trusted her to fulfill her duties as governor. You just pretty much said she sold out at the expense of the alaskan people.:lol:

Her ability to act as governor had become impeded by the repetitive and unnecessary (and eventually dismissed) investigations that she kept getting dragged into. She was smart to pull out and let someone who wasn't being targeted by a fearful and malicious mob of Dems.

Good for her. I like her. I especially love how enraged the leftist ideologues get over her!! How dare she quit her shitty government job to make $7,000,000 from the productive sector on a book deal!!! How dare she be pretty!! How dare she be a regular American with a family and problems!! HOW DARE SHE!!!!! :lol:
how dare she take seven million over serving the people who elected her and trusted her to fulfill her duties as governor. You just pretty much said she sold out at the expense of the alaskan people.:lol:

Her ability to act as governor had become impeded by the repetitive and unnecessary (and eventually dismissed) investigations that she kept getting dragged into. She was smart to pull out and let someone who wasn't being targeted by a fearful and malicious mob of Dems.

She was smart to betray her Oath because she came under scrutiny while in public office? And people want her to be in the Oval Office? Can anyone imagine what would happen during an international crisis?

"....we interrupt this scheduled program for an Emergency Broadcast Alert from President Palin.....

Ladies and Gentlemen of America. As you know the recent stand off between North Korea, Iran, and Russia in Alliance against the United States reached unprecedented levels and while trying to negotiate a Truce I came under personal attacks. They said my shoes were out of season and my earrings clashed with my blouse and lipstick. Due to these catastrophic charges I have resigned as President and Surrendered our great Nation in the interest of seeking Global Fashion Harmony and to rally our (pseudo) Conservative base. Join with me as we learn Farsi, enjoy some vodka (for communion only of course), and learn "Kim" doesn't have to be a girl's name."

She's more conservative than most of the GOP combined. The GOP saw a sign that said 'bear left' so they did. We already have a party of Democrats, why would anyone want two? One bird, two wings . . . . for balance. Can't be balanced with both wings on one side.

Balance?

She balances common sense with idiocy. Look at her "common sense" approach to teen pregnancy. See how well it's worked for her own family?

I haven't heard her pushing anything about teen pregnancy. Can you pop a link? Thanks.

Oh really?

Never heard Palins abstenance push?
Typical out of touch right wing nonsense

Balance?

Oh really?

Gotta love how the social conservatives act in harmony. They forget Palin pushed abstinence only while it's announced she has an underage unmarried knocked up daughter. That is what Letterman's joke was about.

Balance?

It amazes me that those on the right know so little about those they want as their leaders. Then when they do find out the truth, their expectations are so low, not to mention the bar. They may as well be playing "limbo".

Palin Slashed Funding for Teen Moms | 44 | washingtonpost.com

By Paul Kane
ST. PAUL -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee who revealed Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, earlier this year used her line-item veto to slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live.

Balance?

It amazes me that those on the right know so little about those they want as their leaders. Then when they do find out the truth, their expectations are so low, not to mention the bar. They may as well be playing "limbo".

Palin Slashed Funding for Teen Moms | 44 | washingtonpost.com

By Paul Kane
ST. PAUL -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee who revealed Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, earlier this year used her line-item veto to slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live.

So she had no problem helping put teen mothers on the street......fucking self righteous hypocrite. She probably even tells people she prays to Jesus.

I'm not going to contribute to this discussion. Instead I'm gonna just return a favor.

Counter neg'd.

When will you figure out that not supporting Palin doesn't mean one is a Leftist? Is your world so narrow and shallow everything has to be broken down to dishonest black and white terms?

Hoffman is the only evidence you can provide she is a Conservative? Why am I not surprised? You should be able to provide a track record of her beliefs in action. It's kind of strange the only evidence you cite is something she did AFTER SHE BETRAYED HER OATH OF OFFICE.

Let me give an example showing your claim is flat out wrong:

"Over the opposition of oil companies, Republican Gov. Sarah Palin and Alaska's Legislature last year approved a major increase in taxes on the oil industry — a step that has generated stunning new wealth for the state as oil prices soared."

SHE INCREASED TAXES!

(wait it gets better)

"Democrat Barack Obama supports a national windfall-profits tax, while Republican John McCain opposes it."

WOOHOO! Her and Obama doing the funky tax chicken!

(wow....yet another Dem she sided with)

"State Sen. Hollis French, an Anchorage Democrat who supported the windfall tax, said the oil companies " ... were literally printing money on the North Slope. We decided to strike the balance a little bit more on our side."

YIPPEEE!

This next one is so awesome!

"Palin's administration last week gained legislative approval for a special $1,200 payment to every Alaskan to help cope with gas prices, which are among the highest in the country"
Local News | Windfall tax lets Alaska rake in billions from Big Oil | Seattle Times Newspaper

So she TAXED the oil companies and found a way to REDISTRIBUTE THE WEALTH to Alaskans.

So what do we have on Taxes so far? She modeled herself after Carter and agrees with Obama on the Windfall Tax so she increased the hell out of taxes. Maybe you could point to Hoffman ever time someone shows why Palin is not a Conservative?

Like I said, it appears the bulk of Palin supporters don't have much knowledge about her.....or Politics in general.
(hmmm.....maybe if you call me a "Lefty" it will make everyone else ignore the information I just posted? We know you will try to anyways.....)

Nor do you.

Palin did indeed raise taxes on big oil. But why?

Former state Representatives Pete Kott and Vic Kohring have been convicted taking bribes from oil company executives in Alaska. Using the oil profits tax passed in 2006, these politicians literally used their offices to steal money from the citizens of Alaska. Governor Sarah Palin would have none of it, and set to work to correct the problem and return that money to Alaskan residents.

For those attacking Governor Palin for raising taxes on oil companies in Alaska, the facts tell a much different story. After rampant corruption was stopped and criminal politicians, along with oil executives, fined and/or thrown in jail, Sarah Palin set out to reverse the damage done. Here is the Palin tax proposal before Alaska's legislature got a hold of it. This is what Sarah Palin is responsible for on the issue of oil industry taxes in Alaska:

The basic elements of the Palin tax proposal, called Alaska's Clear and Equitable Share, are:

• 25 percent tax on net profits, or the value of the oil minus operating expenses and pipeline and tanker charges. That compares with the 22.5 percent Petroleum Profits Tax passed in 2006. The tax rate rises when oil prices are high.

• Protection when oil prices are low. The big fields of Kuparuk and Prudhoe Bay would pay at least a 10 percent gross tax on the oil's value. This tax on the gross -- before operating expenses are deducted -- would be instead of a tax on net profits, not in addition to it.

• Changes in allowable tax credits and deductions. Producers no longer could write off the cost of replacing deteriorating pipelines.

• Higher salaries for oil tax auditors.

• More information for the state from oil producers and better sharing of information between state agencies.

What you see above is where the $1200 tax rebate came from that sent to the people of Alaska who were robbed by politicians convicted of taking bribes from oil company executives. When you read the actual proposal instead giving a knee-jerk reaction to a tax increase, it is clear this isn't a tax hike near as much as it is returning stolen money back to taxpayers. Not only was there bribery, but her predecessor was giving special breaks to oil companies as Palin stated in this report from FoxNews referencing both McCain and the Governor:

Palin supports offshore drilling like McCain, but they diverge on drilling in the off-limits Artic Wildlife National Refuge. She’s for it and he’s against it, although he’s said he is willing to re-examine the issue.

They both oppose a national windfall profits tax on oil companies, saying it would hinder domestic production. But she raised taxes on oil companies in Alaska last year, arguing that her predecessor, Frank Murkowski gave them too many breaks.

When asked by FOXNews.com whether McCain’s criticism of Obama’s similar proposal to tax oil companies was a contradiction to Palin’s actions last year, McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds batted the question away.

Governor Palin did what any conservative worth their own soul would have done. She gave tax dollars that were literally stolen from Alaskan taxpayers right back to them and appropriately reversed corrupt tax policy. Not only did she bring ethics back to the tax policy in regards to the oil industry in Alaska, she improved the policy itself in her proposal.

The tax raises when oil prices are high, and falls when oil prices are low. This give amazing incentive for the oil companies to produce more oil, which increases supply, and lowers prices for everyone including the taxes they themselves pay the state.

Governor Sarah Palin put the decisions on oil company taxes back into the hands of the people of Alaska where it should have been from the beginning. The corrupt Republican administration which Alaskans elected Palin to replace put dirty money into their own pockets to make decisions which were not up to them in the first place. Alaska may border Russia, but it is part of the United States of America and here representation of the people takes precedence over bloated criminal politicians and corporate executives convicted of illegal activity.

Cary Wesberry, Political Blog, Conservative Bloggers, Republican Blogspot, Political Blogs

A few years ago, Alaska had a big problem. Despite high oil prices, the state's fiscal future was in peril because the state relies on only three aging oilfields for 80% of its oil and gas tax revenue.

In 2006, then Gov. Frank Murkowski, a Republican, proposed changing the state's tax on oil from a gross-revenue to a net-revenue basis. Instead of creaming 10% off the top -- which was how the mature oil fields were taxed -- Mr. Murkowski pushed to tax oil companies on their profits only, at a rate of 22.5%. The change in tax regime was meant to encourage investment in and development of new fields.

In effect, the state would become the oil companies' development partner. It would participate in the upside of oil and gas exploration, but only after the companies had recovered the enormous upfront costs of drilling new wells.

These costs are considerable. In Alaska, the locations are remote, the climate is extreme, the infrastructure mostly nonexistent, the environmental rules the strictest in the world, and there is only a short work season of three or four months a year. The costs make any project very risky.

Mr. Murkowski's plan turned into a disaster. It depended much on trust, but it lacked the transparency and predictability needed to win public confidence. One year after it went into effect, the Petroleum Profits Tax brought in far less revenue than expected and the state suffered a revenue crunch.

Somehow, the legislature had never properly defined accounting procedures and permissible deductions -- and the deductions came in much higher than expected. Meanwhile, as the shortfall appeared, a number of state legislators were on trial, under indictment, or under investigation for bribery by the FBI. These included some who should have done due diligence for the taxpayer on the proposal they enacted.

As a new governor in 2007, Mrs. Palin stepped in to address the fiscal crisis and restore accountability. Working with Democrats and Republicans alike, she chose a 25% profits tax. But in lean years the state reverts to a 10% gross revenue tax on legacy fields that do not require massive continuing inputs of new capital.

Relative to the old system, Mrs. Palin's plan -- called "Alaska's Clear and Equitable Share" (ACES) -- improves incentives for developing new resources. It ensures the state does well in boom times -- as it is doing now -- when oil prices are high. But it also hedges against low prices in the future by ensuring that oil companies exposed to commodity price swings don't face a crushing tax burden when commodity prices fall.

Her plan includes an escalator clause that gives the state a larger share of revenues when oil prices rise. This is common to production-sharing agreements all over the world.

What Palin Really Did To the Oil Industry - WSJ.com

If I mistook you for a liberal it's due to the condescending tone in your posts. I see now that you are a Palin hater. Do I have that right?

Balance?

Oh really?

She believes in abstinence in addition to birth control. That's 'pushing abstinence'? Huh. She did support an abstinence-only education at one time, she no longer does. I wonder if her teenage daughter getting pregnant had anything to do with her change on the issue?

* Use my daughter Bristol as a teaching tool for others. (Oct 2008)
* Constitution does offer an inherent right to privacy. (Oct 2008)
* Abortion should be states’ issue, not federal mandate. (Oct 2008)
* While mayor, Wasilla charged rape victims for rape kits. (Sep 2008)
* Rejected sympathy for Down’s Syndrome son, as gift from God. (Aug 2008)
* Opposes embryonic stem cell research. (Aug 2008)
* Every baby is created with a future and potential. (Aug 2008)
* Safe Haven bill: allow surrendering newborns without penalty. (Feb 2008)
* Adoption is best plan for permanency for foster care kids. (Oct 2007)
* Pro-life. (Nov 2006)
* Choose life, even if her own daughter were raped. (Nov 2006)
* If Roe v. Wade got overturned, let people decide what’s next. (Oct 2006)
* Opposes use of public funds for abortions. (Oct 2006)
* Pro-contraception, pro-woman, pro-life. (Aug 2006)
* Only exception for abortion is if mother’s life would end. (Jul 2006)

Sarah Palin on the Issues

Rotfl! WSJ op-ed piece from CAP? Did you really really read it or did you go on a google hunt looking to try and vindicate palin? Does it make you feel better to falsely accuse people of hating palin? It's childish and total fucking waste of time.

Oh really?

She believes in abstinence in addition to birth control. That's 'pushing abstinence'? Huh. She did support an abstinence-only education at one time, she no longer does. I wonder if her teenage daughter getting pregnant had anything to do with her change on the issue?

* Pro-life. (Nov 2006)

Uh-oh.

"...Palin backed abstinence-only education during her 2006 gubernatorial race. In an Eagle Forum Alaska*questionnaire, Palin gave this response to the following question:

Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support."
Palin backed abstinence-only education - First Read - msnbc.com

Oh really?

* Pro-life. (Nov 2006)

I think if you do a little more research, you will find that Palin has opposed sex education of any type except for Abstinence Only and that includes NOT teaching about contraceptives.

It was Palin's DAUGHTER who said a more balanced approach is necessary, but took the words back a day later.

Palin Daughter's Pregnancy Spurs Sex Ed Debate - ABC News

You can actually watch the Fox interview of Bristol Palin here:

Salon.com Mobile

Most Republicans have no idea beyond "sound bytes" about anyone they support for public office. The know nothing about previous votes or their educational background. How many knew that John McCain graduated fifth from the bottom out of 899 cadets? That would mean he was the worst in every class he was in. How many look at the worst student in high school or college and say to themselves, "Hmmm, that guy would be a great president". I can tell you without a doubt, exactly "zero".

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotfl! WSJ op-ed piece from CAP? Did you really really read it or did you go on a google hunt looking to try and vindicate palin? Does it make you feel better to falsely accuse people of hating palin? It's childish and total fucking waste of time.

I read both articles. Apparently you didn't.

Falsely accuse you of hating Palin? I asked if you were a Palin hater and you didn't bother to answer, you chose to spew. Got it.

Last edited:
Fantastic - another lengthy and heated Sarah Palin thread! :eusa_angel:

We even have some libs in here quoting Newt Gingrich to make their arguement! :lol:

It would appear the Republican Party, as it begins to awaken from its years-long slumber as a party of tepid values and intellectual laziness, is once again finding its own way - and make no mistake, Sarah Palin is playing a significant role in that transformation - and it is that fact that scares the established political elite, both Democrat and Republican.

As for the Palin record, while few if any politician has the perfect record that suits all people, Palin's record is one of considerable accomplishment as governor of Alaska.

No politician has taken on the deeply imbedded special interests of a state more than Sarah Palin - in her case, it was primarily Big Oil, and those politicians on both sides of the aisle who had long been in the pocket of the big two oil companies in Alaska. Her success in forwarding a natural gas pipeline was among the most important domestic energy victories of these last two decades for this country - and Palin made that happen despite fierce opposition from big oil. That victory came at a cost though, and made her powerful enemies both in her home state, and nationally. And surprising to many who don't actually know the Palin story - these enemies work within the Republican political power structure, and to this day they continue to work against her.

Among her other achievments was saving the Alaskan teachers' pension fund, and reducing the state budget at a time when other state budgets were greatly expanding.

Here is a brief rundown of the Palin record that is both fair and somewhat comprehensive...

____

Governor Sarah Palin: Her Accomplishments As Governor of Alaska
Posted on September 14, 2008 by mcauleysworld
Doctrinaire Conservatives Beware

THE WEEKLY STANDARD

by Fred Barnes
09/22/2008, Volume 014, Issue 02

Conservatives are rushing to crown Alaska governor Sarah Palin as the new Ronald Reagan. And indeed there are similarities. Like Reagan, Palin has a dazzling star quality and an appeal to voters outside the conservative orbit. But there’s another likeness to Reagan that conservatives may find a bit off-putting. She governs as a pragmatic conservative–with heavy emphasis on the pragmatic.

Palin, John McCain’s vice presidential running mate, is a strong social and religious conservative. She opposes abortion and gay rights and, as an evangelical Christian, believes in a God-centered universe. But these matters are neither her top priorities as governor nor even her second-tier concerns. Her social conservatism has been muted.

Instead, her agenda since being elected governor in 2006 consists of oil and gas, taxes, and ethics reform. “Just look at the bills she put her name on,” says John Bitney, her policy director during her first year as governor. “They speak for themselves.” The bills involved a new arrangement for building a natural gas pipeline, higher taxes on oil companies, and new ethics rules covering the governor’s administration and the legislature.

Those were her major initiatives. Next on Palin’s list of priorities were maintaining the solvency of the pension program for teachers, cutting spending in the state’s capital budget, and assuring that parents who home school their children aren’t discriminated against by state regulations.

Palin has frequently voiced her support for anti-abortion bills requiring parental consent for girls under 17 and outlawing partial-birth abortions. “Alaskans know I am pro-life and have never wavered in my belief in the sanctity of every human life,” she declared in April.

But she refused to introduce the pro-life measures in a special legislative session last spring devoted to the gas pipeline. “These issues are so important they shouldn’t be diluted with oil and gas deliberations,” she said.

Later, she declined to call a separate special session to take up the abortion bills. Her reasoning: Pro-lifers had failed to persuade her the bills could pass the state senate. Nor would she intervene to pressure two Republican senators who opposed the legislation to change their minds. Palin isn’t willing “to jump out in front of the bus on things that aren’t moveable” in the legislature, says state Republican chairman Randy Ruedrich.

Palin’s conservatism, like Reagan’s, has never been in doubt. When I talked to her last year, she described herself as “pro-business and pro-development.” The Anchorage Daily News said the spending cuts she imposed in 2007 “may be the biggest single-year line-item veto total in state history.” Of course, Palin is also pro-gun.

When she attended a governor’s conference in Washington last February and was interviewed on C-SPAN by Steve Scully, she endorsed “across the board” tax cuts because Americans “know best” how to spend their own money. Palin said she’s “committed” to making Alaska “more of a contributing state and less reliant on the federal government.”

Her biggest task as governor has been to start construction of the gas pipeline to the lower 48 states. She tossed out the sweetheart contract her predecessor, Republican Frank Murkowski, had reached with three oil companies and negotiated a new deal with a Canadian company. The goal, she said, is “to feed hungry markets in our state, reduce energy costs, help secure the nation, [and] flow that energy into hungry markets across the nation. That’s my mission.”

Her record as governor hardly qualifies her as a doctrinaire conservative. She proposed a graduated tax on oil as the price soared, then signed a bill passed by the legislature that set the new tax rate even higher. Reagan, by the way, cut taxes in 1981 and raised them the next year.

Why did Palin push a pipeline and favor a tax hike? Bitney says the answer is simple: Alaska needs more energy as older oil fields become depleted, and the pipeline will generate jobs and revenue. As for raising taxes, Palin follows the command of the state constitution to get the maximum benefit from the state’s natural resources.

Bitney says Palin never instructed her gubernatorial staff to “go after abortion” or any other issues of concern to social conservatives. In a campaign debate in 2006, she said that both evolution and creationism should be taught in public schools. “You know, don’t be afraid of education,” she said. “Healthy debate is so important and so valuable in our schools.”

The next day she thought better of her comment. “I would not push the state board of education to add creation-based alternatives to the state’s required curriculum,” she said. But there shouldn’t be “a prohibition against debate if [creationism] comes up in class.”

As governor, Palin has appointed a commissioner of education and nine members of the state board–without applying a litmus test on creationism or evolution. And there’s been no effort, either by Palin or her appointees, to add creationism to the curriculum.

Palin’s most celebrated actpractical conservatism was killing the notorious Bridge to Nowhere in Ketchikan. She had endorsed it in a gubernatorial campaign debate, but changed her mind after being elected. By then, the project had become a symbol of wasteful spending, and the congressional earmark with money for it had been rescinded.

But the three members of Alaska’s congressional delegation–Ted Stevens, Lisa Murkowski, and Don Young–still favored the project. Their expectation was that Palin would keep it alive with federal highway funds and state money. She refused.

The anointing of Palin as the new Reagan is surely premature. Let’s say she’s a potential Reagan. Like him, Palin has focused on a few big issues, while allowing others popular with conservatives to fall by the wayside. This brand of pragmatic conservatism worked for Reagan. It’s worked for Palin too.

Fred Barnes is executive editor of
THE WEEKLY

Governor Sarah Palin: Her Accomplishments As Governor of Alaska « Mcauleysworld’s Weblog

Uh-oh.

"...Palin backed abstinence-only education during her 2006 gubernatorial race. In an Eagle Forum Alaska*questionnaire, Palin gave this response to the following question:

Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support."
Palin backed abstinence-only education - First Read - msnbc.com

Yes, she did support abstinence only, as I noted in my post. She no longer does.

Let's note here folks, this poster rejects the WSJ as a valid source yet expects me to take MSNBC as credible. :lol:

Oh really?

* Pro-life. (Nov 2006)

I think if you do a little more research, you will find that Palin has opposed sex education of any type except for Abstinence Only and that includes NOT teaching about contraceptives.

It was Palin's DAUGHTER who said a more balanced approach is necessary, but took the words back a day later.

Palin Daughter's Pregnancy Spurs Sex Ed Debate - ABC News

You can actually watch the Fox interview of Bristol Palin here:

Salon.com Mobile

Sarah Palin is also pro-contraception. She was abstinence only but is no longer.

She is Christian and pro-life, but also a supporter of birth control: she's a member of Feminists For Life (FFL), an anti-abortion, pro-contraception organization.

Conservative Believer - Sarah Palin: News and Photos - TIME

Most Republicans have no idea beyond "sound bytes" about anyone they support for public office. The know nothing about previous votes or their educational background. How many knew that John McCain graduated fifth from the bottom out of 899 cadets? That would mean he was the worst in every class he was in. How many look at the worst student in high school or college and say to themselves, "Hmmm, that guy would be a great president". I can tell you without a doubt, exactly "zero".

And how exactly does Obama rate on the college scale? Oh, that's right, he won't even release his transcripts. But he isn't doing this to hide anything . . . he just wants his privacy, right? Give me a break.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back