Rush Makes His Case

It's pretty disingenuous to insist that mentioning such somewhere else in the trans script invalidates the ACTUAL EXCHANGE between Rush and his callers as I've pointed out. NOt at all obvious what hoops you will go through to force together some kind of bridge between what you really want to be true and your denial of how anyone else could have percieved the exchange.

Funny how the left gives ABC a pass for reporting the SAME story 2 nights before Rush talked about it - and used the term ‘Phony Heroes'

Did ABC similarly agree with callers that qualified "phony" as meaning soldiers who didnt agree with the war?

Considering the things our legilature should be working on? Yes I think a handful of dems wasting speaking time on the senate floor and 41 of them sigining their names calling for a company to sanction all over what a talk show radio host with no real power said is irrational.

Irrational? a thought-out decision to demonize a well known conservative personality as a safe proxy for demonizing the republican party? mean spirited, maybe, but IRRATIONAL, no way.

Wow. Amazing how what the dems did to Rush is the exact same thing Macbeath did to the troops. Yet you have only harsh words for a man the didn't lie and misrepresented nothing and nothing to say about teh actual liar in all of this. It is truly mind boggling that focus of anyone's ire is on Rush so much so that you have twist and misrepresent what he said rather than the man that knowingly and deliberately lied.

and as always, sarcasm zooms past denny without being noticed. :rofl:

actually it didn't.

Did ABC similarly agree with callers that qualified "phony" as meaning soldiers who didnt agree with the war?

Rush did not call those troops who disagree with the war "phoney"

ABC Reported on ‘Phony Heroes' Two Days Before Rush Limbaugh Did
By Noel Sheppard | September 30, 2007 - 20:54 ET

This is really hysterical, folks, and definitely requires all drinking vessels be properly stowed before continuing.

Just days before Rush Limbaugh was attacked by a number of press outlets for discussing "phony soldiers" on the air, ABC's Brian Ross did a segment on "World News with Charles Gibson" dealing with "phony heroes...scam artists...posing as the war heroes they never were, claiming credit for acts of courage in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Marvelously, this story was aired on Monday, September 24, just two days before Limbaugh made his comments. And, as noted in a NewsBusters posting by the MRC's Brent Baker, the report even mentioned the same "phony soldier," Jesse Macbeth (pictured to the right), that Limbaugh did on his program Wednesday.

Will media attack ABC with the same zeal they did Limbaugh? Maybe even more important, will House Democrats offer a resolution to condemn Ross, Gibson, and everyone involved in ABC's report?

While you ponder, what follows is a full transcript of this segment (video available here, h/t Rush Limbaugh.com):

CHARLES GIBSON, HOST: (Voiceover) 'A Closer Look" tonight at phony heroes. A famous recruiting slogan once touted the Army as a place to be all you can be. But increasingly, scam artists are posing as the war heroes they never were, claiming credit for acts of courage in Iraq and Afghanistan. Federal officials have launched a crackdown. Operation Stolen Valor they call it. Tonight, our Brian Ross investigates.

GRAPHICS: BRIAN ROSS INVESTIGATES

BRIAN ROSS (ABC NEWS)

(Voiceover) At the Washington State Capitol in Olympia this year, a Marine Corps Color Guard included a Marine chaplain to deliver the opening prayer. But authorities later discovered that the Marine chaplain, Captain Reggie Buddle, was not a chaplain.

JEFFREY SULLIVAN (US ATTORNEY)

I think he went to seminary school and flunked out.

BRIAN ROSS (ABC NEWS)

(Voiceover) Nor was a Buddle a captain, nor had he earned all the medals he wore. In fact, Buddle had never been in the Marines, even though he had officiated at numerous Marine weddings, baptisms and funerals.

It was devastating to the people who had relied on him.

BRIAN ROSS (ABC NEWS)

(Voiceover) At a time when tens of thousands of US soldiers have put their lives on the line in Iraq and been honored for their sacrifice and courage, federal prosecutors have had to launch a crackdown on phony heroes.

They want something that they didn't earn. They didn't have the guts to go and do it themselves.

BRIAN ROSS (ABC NEWS)

(Voiceover) Authorities say many of the phony heroes make up their stories, so they can get free treatment at veterans' hospitals.

DOUGLAS CARVER (VETERANS AFFAIRS OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL)

They're taking money away that should be used for the deserving veterans.

BRIAN ROSS (ABC NEWS)

(Voiceover) Most of the phonies are spotted by people who really earned their medals. In St Louis, this supposed Marine with a chest full of honors was turned in because he seemed too fat to be a real Marine. It turns out he never served a day in the Marines.

JESSE ADAM MACBETH (VIDEO BLOGGER)

Once I was in Baghdad...

BRIAN ROSS (ABC NEWS)

(Voiceover) But authorities say the most disturbing case involves this man, 23-year-old Jesse Macbeth. In a YouTube video seen around the world, Macbeth became a rallying point for anti-war groups, as he talked of the Purple Heart he received in Iraq and described how he and other US Army rangers killed innocent civilians at a Baghdad mosque.

JESSE ADAM MACBETH (VIDEO BLOGGER)

Women and men, you know - while in their prayer, we started slaughtering them.

BRIAN ROSS (ABC NEWS)

(Voiceover) It was a complete fabrication.

DOUGLAS CARVER (VETERANS AFFAIRS OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL)

He was in for approximately six weeks and then he was discharged. I don't think he even completed basic training.

BRIAN ROSS (ABC NEWS)

(Off-camera) Last week in federal court in Seattle, Macbeth offered an apology for defaming the real American heroes as he admitted to lying about his service record and his supposed atrocities, Charlie.

CHARLES GIBSON (ABC NEWS)

(Off-camera) Operation Stolen Valor. Brian Ross investigating, thanks.

I'm verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

FYI: Interested readers must take a look at Brian Maloney's work on this subject. Frankly, he's been all over this story, and we at NB are very grateful.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/no...ted-phony-heroes-three-days-rush-limbaugh-did

I posted the specific exchange that can suggest that he did, in fact, agree with and validate the caller's separation of real and phony according to individual opinion on iraq. While pointing out the plural nature of Rush's comment, no less.

It's really a moot point by now but I think it goes a long way in conveying just how far each of our sides will go to insist on being correct and disregard everyone else as pinheads (or whatever the daily nomenclature is) without the slightest consideration for how the same thing can be interpreted by others.

You can scroll up to see what I am talknig about. Look for the Red and Blue

NEWSBUSTERS again, eh?

tsk tsk tsk..

I posted the specific exchange that can suggest that he did, in fact, agree with and validate the caller's separation of real and phony according to individual opinion on iraq. While pointing out the plural nature of Rush's comment, no less.

It's really a moot point by now but I think it goes a long way in conveying just how far each of our sides will go to insist on being correct and disregard everyone else as pinheads (or whatever the daily nomenclature is) without the slightest consideration for how the same thing can be interpreted by others.

You can scroll up to see what I am talknig about. Look for the Red and Blue

NEWSBUSTERS again, eh?

tsk tsk tsk..

Where was the lefts outrage toward ABC that did the same story 2 days beofre

Or where is the outrage on this one?

Atlantic City Mayor, Phony Green Beret, Under Investigation... but a Democrat?
By Warner Todd Huston | October 6, 2007 - 04:31 ET
Imagine this scenario: A Republican Mayor of a famous city lies about his service in Vietnam and is caught at it but before that revelation comes to light he was already in trouble as he was about to be recalled by the citizenry for commonly being absent at city council meetings. What's more he also presides over a city council that has several members under investigation for sexual misconduct, drunk driving and at least one recent council member who is in jail serving a conviction for bribery. Imagine how the MSM would howl over the Republican "culture of corruption?" And yet, this scenario that I describe actually exists with but one small alteration in the particulars. The mayor in question actually exists. His city council is as corrupt as I describe. Only the mayor is a Democrat instead of a Republican... not that the MSM seems to have noticed.

Once again, the AP seems to have forgotten to mention the party affiliation of a wretchedly corrupt Democrat who is under fire for his perfidy.

Yet, with all the fire Rush Limbaugh -- a radio guy with no legislative power -- is under for not saying that soldiers that come out against the war are "phony soldiers," a New Jersey Democrat -- a man who has the reins of power under his control and who really IS a phony soldier -- is forgotten by the wild-eyed media elites.

It seems that, while Mayor Robert Levy, (Democrat - New Jersey) was a decorated U.S. soldier from the Vietnam era, he felt the odd need to embellish his military service by falsely claiming that he was a member of the Green Berets during his tour of duty.

But that is the least of his worries. He is also under scrutiny for being very close with a convicted and jailed former councilman as well as for his spotty attendance record at city council meetings. And, now he seems to have driven off and disappeared. No one has a clue where he went.

And the AP is not the only ones to have forgotten to mention that "D" beside Mayor Levy's name. So did Editor & Publisher,Reuters, USA Today's Blogs, even Fox News seem to have somehow forgotten to mention that Mayor Levy is a Democrat.

So, what's the deal? Is "corruption" only a Republican thing as far as the entire media establishment is concerned? Is Democrat corruption somehow more obviously unconnected with party affiliation than is corruption perpetrated by a politician who happens to be a Republican?

How is it that the MSM feels the need to alert everyone that a corrupt politician is a Republican, but that the same MSM seems never to notice if a corrupt politician is a Democrat?

Should we all just imagine that this is just an accident?

Well, I, for one, would certainly believe it to be merely accidental... if the elves and fairies that wrote the news rode in to work on their unicorns, that is.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner...or-phony-soldier-under-investigation-democrat

Seems like THEY were clearly talking about a single phony green berret..

as opposed to the PLURAL nature of Rush's own words when validating the callers definition of Phony as those who speak out against the war.

Like I said, I posted what I had a question about above. Look for the RED and BLUE.

Seems like THEY were clearly talking about a single phony green berret..

as opposed to the PLURAL nature of Rush's own words when validating the callers definition of Phony as those who speak out against the war.

Like I said, I posted what I had a question about above. Look for the RED and BLUE.

It would seem the moonbat lefts feeble attempt at smearing him is backfiring - people still remember the Moveon.org smear ad

Which was what the moonbat left was trying to do with this attack on Rush

IT WASN"T WHAT RUSH WAS REFERRING TO! Man, I am getting so tired of the revisionism of the right... the constant spin. The pretense of ignorance. (or maybe it's actual ignorance.)

I condemn Rush because he's a liar and he hates anyone who isn't a rabid right-wing apologist for this failed administration and its failed war of choice.

The only ones obtuse here are you and your buddies. And, once again, if you don't like people taking pot shots at your intelligence, which I think you overrate by at least half, then stop doing it yourself.

If you are too dense to read the entire conversation between callers one and two and understand what was being said, then I figure that's your problem.

For a moment, let's look at the catalyst for this whole episode: the MoveOn ad. Democrats placed their fingers on the pulse of America, and came away ashen-faced. This was a COLOSSAL blunder; their propaganda arm had just grievously offended a large, vital group of Americans.

Who - here - represents that group - me? Hardly; I haven't been able to listen - with a straight face - to a Democrat since the 1960s. You? Nah; you look at the transcript and REALLY DO see Rush attacking anyone who doesn't support the war. You're a true believer.

No - the group, with whom the Democrats are trying so desperately to mend fences, are the Undecided Voters. To varying degrees, this bloc has no "dog in the fight"; they are governed (again, by varying degrees) by reason and observable fact. And, the entire transcript is readily available to them.

Do you expect them to eagerly ingest the requisite dosage of Jillian Syllogism Capsules, don the Media Matters 3-D glasses, and actually see Rush Limbaugh denouncing any soldier who doesn't embrace George Bush's policies as a "phony"? Based on the hard evidence? Pondered in the contexts of 1) the events of the last couple of weeks, 2) the source, and 3) Limbaugh's consistent, observable and verifiable support of the military?

You don't have to answer me, specifically. Ask the question of yourself - of your secret heart, where the truth still lies unobscured by the dictates of political expediency. I don't envy you at that moment. I would hate for the future survival of my ideology to turn on the answer.

and yet Air America (given they are on very few stations compared to Rush and Sean) is not hate radio?

Wow. Amazing how what the dems did to Rush is the exact same thing Macbeath did to the troops. Yet you have only harsh words for a man the didn't lie and misrepresented nothing and nothing to say about teh actual liar in all of this. It is truly mind boggling that focus of anyone's ire is on Rush so much so that you have twist and misrepresent what he said rather than the man that knowingly and deliberately lied.

The point is that people criticizing Rush think he DID lie. You want everyone to criticize Macbeth as well? We aren't talking about Macbeth. There are tons of people out there we can criticize, but we aren't talking about their traits, do try and stick to the subject.

Who was he referring to then? For no reason he had to clear it up for the rabid attack dogs like you (for all the good it would do) to clarify who he meant. He said who he meant. Obviously you won't believe him and will call him a liar. But you have not a shred of evidence to support that macbeath and those like him weren't who he was referring to.

Evidence has already been posted which hasn't been disputed.

Considering the things our legilature should be working on? Yes I think a handful of dems wasting speaking time on the senate floor and 41 of them sigining their names calling for a company to sanction all over what a talk show radio host with no real power said is irrational.

Did you condemn them censuring Moveon? No? Ah I see your outrage is so terribly selective.

What specifically has Rush lied about? Macbeath wasn't a real soldier moron.

Aww...is now when Jillian goes onto every thread and whines about how you weren't nice to her? After all thats what you do whenever someone calls you a name. Moron.

Rush even clarified for the aformentioned obtuse who he was referring to. So what I said is not an opinion.

Yes after he got criticized for it.

On one side we have Rush. Who as clear as day was referring to people who were lieing about what they had done in Iraq or even being there and those who were trying to defreaud the system.

Clear as day...

So do you think those of us that don't believe it are all liars? Or perhaps just incredibly stupid?

On the other side we have Mr. Macbeath. A man who was a wash out, flat out lie about what he had done in Iraq and attempting to defraud the system.

Umm, no. We aren't talking about Macbeth.

This about says it all...

musicman said:
For a moment, let's look at the catalyst for this whole episode: the MoveOn ad. Democrats placed their fingers on the pulse of America, and came away ashen-faced. This was a COLOSSAL blunder; their propaganda arm had just grievously offended a large, vital group of Americans.

...so the Dims had to take the spotlight off the BetrayUs smear and MoveOn and Rush over (so to speak) to smear Limbaugh....(and make themselves sound patriotic again, hehe)

...do two smears make it right?
...can one smear smear out another smear?
...if they outsmear the other smear will that smear get smeared out?
:eusa_dance: the demented dancing dims

to call moveon.org the "propaganda arm" of the democratic party is ludicrous.

Were Swiftboat Veterans for Truth the PROPAGANDA ARM of the republican party?

:D

This about says it all...

...so the Dims had to take the spotlight off the BetrayUs smear and MoveOn and Rush over (so to speak) to smear Limbaugh....(and make themselves sound patriotic again, hehe)

...do two smears make it right?
...can one smear smear out another smear?
...if they outsmear the other smear will that smear get smeared out?
:eusa_dance: the demented dancing dims

Spotlight? That controversy was over and done with. The democrats took the opportunity to smear an opposing parties statement that was stupid, just as the Republicans did. You were all for it before, but now that its against your political party you whine like a little bitch.

The point is that people criticizing Rush think he DID lie. You want everyone to criticize Macbeth as well? We aren't talking about Macbeth. There are tons of people out there we can criticize, but we aren't talking about their traits, do try and stick to the subject.

Evidence has already been posted which hasn't been disputed.

Your evidence is the letter 's'. Big support for your case.

Did you condemn them censuring Moveon? No? Ah I see your outrage is so terribly selective.

Didn't know they did. Though an equal waste of time.

Yes after he got criticized for it.

Then he's just like you larkin. he didn't fuigure he'd have to spell everything out for the less intelligent.

Clear as day...

So do you think those of us that don't believe it are all liars? Or perhaps just incredibly stupid?

Neither. i think deep down the left knows exactley who he was referring to he who said he was referring to. The dems saw an opportunity to go on the attack and they did. And as usual weren't gonna let the facts get in the way.

Umm, no. We aren't talking about Macbeth.

How very convenient. I can post about whatever the hell i want. My observation was simply that it was interesting to me that the left was whining and claiming someone said something they didn't and completely ignoring the actual liar.

to call moveon.org the "propaganda arm" of the democratic party is ludicrous.

Were Swiftboat Veterans for Truth the PROPAGANDA ARM of the republican party?

:D
Not ludicrous at all.

So what if they were? Quit trying to sidestep the point of the post...but no, the Swiftboaters were just basically vets who remembered your candidate in all his infamy...

This is America. You are free to be as much of an ignorant pussy ass bitch as you want to portray yourself. Again, feel free to actually READ THIS THREAD before donning the team jersey and feeling like you've scored a point. You haven't. But, I guess we still give gold medals out in the special Olympics so enjoy that gold medallion!

Since you reserve your congeniality for Rush's sebaceous taint like the team handbook says I guess it's no real big loss.. Your motivations are pretty obvious but.. I guess internet message boards are to lil trolls what bug light zappers are to mosquitoes..
I would love to meet so i could smack sense into you.
But then again, you're not worth my time or effort. So instead, I'll put your ignorant,rambling, sorry ass on ignore.
btw, leave the big words like sebaceous to adults.

One down, how many more will fall?

Your evidence is the letter 's'. Big support for your case.

That he wasn't referring to one soldier? Yes, actually it is. Its called the English language...if you don't even know the difference between plural and singular, how do you expect to be able to accurately interpret anyone?

Then he's just like you larkin. he didn't fuigure he'd have to spell everything out for the less intelligent.

Way to dodge the point.

the last one.

Ah, of course. Everyone who disagrees with you is just incredibly stupid. What a fabulous interpretation.

How very convenient. I can post about whatever the hell i want. My observation was simply that it was interesting to me that the left was whining and claiming someone said something they didn't and completely ignoring the actual liar.

Yes, you can post about whatever the hell you want. However your observation is meaningless because Macbeth is NOT what we are talking about...so of course we are ignoring him. Funny that you haven't mentioned how Hitler is bad, isn't it?...you probably are a neo-nazi or something, right? Awesome logic.

I would love to meet so i could smack sense into you.
But then again, you're not worth my time or effort. So instead, I'll put your ignorant,rambling, sorry ass on ignore.
btw, leave the big words like sebaceous to adults.

One down, how many more will fall?

I'd like to summarize you post.

1) Physical threat
2) Contradictory statement
3) Threat to ignore
4) Ignorant condescension
5) Self-delcared victory

Wow...in that light you look sorta like a tool, don't you?

That he wasn't referring to one soldier? Yes, actually it is. Its called the English language...if you don't even know the difference between plural and singular, how do you expect to be able to accurately interpret anyone?

He may or may not of been. What he wasn't referring to were soldiers that simply disagreed with him. Which is the claim the left is makeing. Interpretting what someone is trying to say involves a little more than just their grammar. Though as has been shown the case many times with you, understanding and accepting the intent of someone's words is rather inconvenient.

Way to dodge the point.

Guess I figured I'd try your style of argument for a while.

Ah, of course. Everyone who disagrees with you is just incredibly stupid. What a fabulous interpretation.

Typical larkin overexageration. I did edit that to more accurately reflect what I think is going on however.

Yes, you can post about whatever the hell you want. However your observation is meaningless because Macbeth is NOT what we are talking about...so of course we are ignoring him. Funny that you haven't mentioned how Hitler is bad, isn't it?...you probably are a neo-nazi or something, right? Awesome logic.

Why not? It was Rush's point and the subject of his statments. Statements you are mischaracterizing, so yes macbeth is very much the point.

Forum List

Back