Roots the mini-series, Oh here we go.

Link that states that as proven fact?

To prove fiction is fact is to prove a negative, which is not possible. Here is one critique of Haley's effort: Alex Haley's Fraudulent Roots

If you wish to go deeper into the criticism, just Google "Roots, the book."
Is it any wonder many Americans are clueless of history or worse...enraged by lies presented as history. I did not watch it then and will not now. I have no interest in watching lies that inflame passions.

ALEX HALEY’S “ROOTS”: FACT OR FICTION?
BY THOMAS SOWELL | 30 JAN 2002 |
When challenged by professional historians, Alex Haley called his work “faction” — part fact and part fiction. He said that he had tried to give his people some myths to live by.

“Roots” also feeds the gross misconception that slavery was about white people enslaving black people. The tragedy of slavery was of a far greater magnitude than that. People of every race and color were both slaves and enslavers, for thousands of years, all around the world. Europeans enslaved other Europeans for centuries before the first African was brought across the Atlantic. Asians enslaved other Asians, as well as whatever Europeans they could get hold of. Slavery existed in the Western Hemisphere before Columbus ever got here.

Slavery, like cancer, was not limited to any particular country or race. To talk about cancer as if it were an American disease, or a white or black disease, would be absurd. If reparations were to be paid for slavery, everybody on this planet would owe everybody else.
Alex Haley’s “Roots”: Fact or Fiction?

Roots was the major TV show of all time.Everybody watched it when I was in school. I saw it again a year or two back and it still stands up.

I think quibbles with the accuracy of the characters is missing the point. Even if Kinte was a total fabrication I am guessing that there might have been one or two more africans who were captured and sold as slaves.
Of course you're right. But there is an important point to be made in knowing who did the capturing.

While there is no way to justify participation in the inhuman crime of forcible enslavement the impression exists in the majority of contemporary minds that White people are exclusively responsible for the existence of slavery in America. This impression is the result of misinformation and disinformation put forth by a progression of race pimps, racial troublemakers and profiteers such as Alex Haley who effectively perpetuates the lie in his successful book, then movie, now series, Roots.

The fact is no White men ever ventured onto African soil to capture and enslave Black people. They didn't have to. Black African tribesmen routinely captured and enslaved members of rival tribes and sold them to Dutch, Arab and Portugese slave traders who, in turn, transported them to America and re-sold them to slave dealers.

The following is excerpted from an article by Thomas Sowell, a respected Black author and historian who has diligently investigated the circumstances laid out in Haley's allegedly historical work and found it to be totally fictional.

Excerpt:

For instance, “Roots has a white man leading a slave raid in West Africa, where the hero, Kunta Kinte [supposedly, Haley’s ancestor] was captured, looking bewildered at the chains put on him as he was led away in bondage.” Moreover, even “the village elders” likewise appeared perplexed by the sight of these “white men” who were “carrying their people away.” In glaring contrast to this depiction, Sowell correctly asserts, the location from which Kunta Kinte was taken — West Africa — had been “a center of slave trading before the first white man arrived there — and slavery continues in parts of it to this very moment.” He adds: “Africans sold vast numbers of other Africans to Europeans. But they hardly let Europeans go running around in their territory, catching people willy-nilly.”

(Close)

Anyone who is interested in investigating the facts in this controversial subject will find a treasury of reliable historical facts available via Google search. By no means will this research excuse or mitigate for the role of Whites in the crime of slavery, but it will show that Blacks are at least equally responsible for its existence.

Roots was the major TV show of all time.Everybody watched it when I was in school. I saw it again a year or two back and it still stands up.

I think quibbles with the accuracy of the characters is missing the point. Even if Kinte was a total fabrication I am guessing that there might have been one or two more africans who were captured and sold as slaves.
Of course you're right. But there is an important point to be made in knowing who did the capturing.

While there is no way to justify participation in the inhuman crime of forcible enslavement the impression exists in the majority of contemporary minds that White people are exclusively responsible for the existence of slavery in America. This impression is the result of misinformation and disinformation put forth by a progression of race pimps, racial troublemakers and profiteers such as Alex Haley who effectively perpetuates the lie in his successful book, then movie, now series, Roots.

The fact is no White men ever ventured onto African soil to capture and enslave Black people. They didn't have to. Black African tribesmen routinely captured and enslaved members of rival tribes and sold them to Dutch, Arab and Portugese slave traders who, in turn, transported them to America and re-sold them to slave dealers.

The following is excerpted from an article by Thomas Sowell, a respected Black author and historian who has diligently investigated the circumstances laid out in Haley's allegedly historical work and found it to be totally fictional.

Excerpt:

For instance, “Roots has a white man leading a slave raid in West Africa, where the hero, Kunta Kinte [supposedly, Haley’s ancestor] was captured, looking bewildered at the chains put on him as he was led away in bondage.” Moreover, even “the village elders” likewise appeared perplexed by the sight of these “white men” who were “carrying their people away.” In glaring contrast to this depiction, Sowell correctly asserts, the location from which Kunta Kinte was taken — West Africa — had been “a center of slave trading before the first white man arrived there — and slavery continues in parts of it to this very moment.” He adds: “Africans sold vast numbers of other Africans to Europeans. But they hardly let Europeans go running around in their territory, catching people willy-nilly.”

(Close)

Anyone who is interested in investigating the facts in this controversial subject will find a treasury of reliable historical facts available via Google search. By no means will this research excuse or mitigate for the role of Whites in the crime of slavery, but it will show that Blacks are at least equally responsible for its existence.
Yes I understand that slavery was not a white mans preserve. I am sure that every educated person is aware of that.
So I am not sure what point you are making.
The "Roots" film deals specifically with the American experience in which the White race has to shoulder the blame. If there was no market for slavery then there would be no slavery.
The whole slavery thing, and its aftermath, still affects America to this day.

Excerpt:

(Close)

Yes I understand that slavery was not a white mans preserve. I am sure that every educated person is aware of that.
The "Roots" film deals specifically with the American experience in which the White race has to shoulder the blame. If there was no market for slavery then there would be no slavery.
Geeze Limey how can you always be wrong?

Slavery was NEVER a white man's preserve.

It has always been a man's preserve...race has nothing to do with it.

Excerpt:

(Close)

Errm, thats what I said.

Excerpt:

(Close)

Errm, thats what I said.
Then clearly you know nothing about the history of slavery. Nearly every people and civilization throughout history employed slavery.

If only it were possible to educate a leftist Limey.

Excerpt:

(Close)

Errm, thats what I said.
Then clearly you know nothing about the history of slavery. Nearly every people and civilization throughout history employed slavery.

Have you read my comment.

Yes I understand that slavery was not a white mans preserve

If you are struggling with it ask somebody to explain it to you.

Excerpt:

(Close)

Errm, thats what I said.

Have you read my comment.

Yes I understand that slavery was not a white mans preserve

If you are struggling with it ask somebody to explain it to you.
Please accept my apologies...you must forgive me as I naturally assumed you have history all screwed up.

crackas don't like to be reminded of their roll in history, they think if they ignore what their ancestors did and the rewards they reap now from those actions ,it will go away. Now with changes coming, these historical facts will be brought to the forefront, so airing of roots will be great so the new generations of Americans can see history.
white Christians have been behaving, for centuries here and all over the world, like a horde of savage beasts and genocidal maniacs. If showing roots makes some of them crap their pants and whine, so be it

Nah. If Alex Haley said it was a fraudulent story...then ok. If someone else said it..it's just an opinion with no substance since it IS just an opinion.

Plus, I don't really care one way or another. I enjoy the storyline, awful as it is...but told wonderfully.
He was sued for plagiarism...

Forum List

Back