Why the Need for "Safe Zones" at Universities?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
What is the underlying rationale? It seems that students of all ethnicities are already able to associate in whatever groups they want, so what is the actual need for official "safe zones" where they can exclude other students? Even if it confers a feeling of empowerment on these students, what does it ultimately accomplish within an educational context? Will it improve academic performance, or does it provide an excuse for lack thereof?

I wonder if it is a result of overly aggressive diversity goals in admissions which place less prepared students in competition with better prepared students? This type of mismatch can result in hostility and resentment that fuels a self-defeating belief in one's victimization. Why not let students proceed at their own pace?

Democrat "safe zones" build racial tension just like the old Jim Crow democrat days of Segregation just like the white/black bathrooms.

Its PC based racism and nothing more.

What is the underlying rationale? It seems that students of all ethnicities are already able to associate in whatever groups they want, so what is the actual need for official "safe zones" where they can exclude other students? Even if it confers a feeling of empowerment on these students, what does it ultimately accomplish within an educational context? Will it improve academic performance, or does it provide an excuse for lack thereof?

I wonder if it is a result of overly aggressive diversity goals in admissions which place less prepared students in competition with better prepared students? This type of mismatch can result in hostility and resentment that fuels a self-defeating belief in one's victimization. Why not let students proceed at their own pace?
Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of male chauvinists, homophobes, whites, and white males.

Last edited:
The GOP obsession with "safe spaces" is ridiculous. Wtf do you care? Don't like a "safe space," then don't GO TO a safe space. Problem solved.
They care because it violates the spirit of the 1st Amendment by creating areas within a government entity in which political speech is restricted. Could a state university set up a safe zone for Christian students in which only church approved speech could be heard? And would the response be, "If you don't like it, don't go there"?

Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of whites and white males.
Meh. Conservative students deal with that constantly. I don't see anyone setting up safe zones for them.

Everyone should have their own portable safe zones.

I'm going to market this to all of these little shrinking violets and capitalize on their insatiable need for protection from the world.

When that mean ole world is raining on your pew wittew head, we have you covered! Only 19.99!

shower-curtain-costume.jpg

Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of whites and white males.
Meh. Conservative students deal with that constantly. I don't see anyone setting up safe zones for them.
Thats not really my concern. if they need safe zones then they are free to set one up.

The GOP obsession with "safe spaces" is ridiculous. Wtf do you care? Don't like a "safe space," then don't GO TO a safe space. Problem solved.
They care because it violates the spirit of the 1st Amendment by creating areas within a government entity in which political speech is restricted. Could a state university set up a safe zone for Christian students in which only church approved speech could be heard? And would the response be, "If you don't like it, don't go there"?
Wtf? You don't even know what a "safe zone" is. If a Christian group gets together, and people aren't allowed to go in and disrupt it... guess what - that's a safe space. Happens all the time.

Thats not really my concern. if they need safe zones then they are free to set one up.
Safe zones are a crock. I guess we could go back to the old days, where you could legally tell people you didn't want to hang out with to stay on "their side of the tracks".

Pretty simple. From what i can gather people need a break from the constant microaggressions of male chauvinists, homophobes, whites, and white males.
Well Jefferson one could argue the Negro at least most are AFRAID to compete in an open world.

Wtf? You don't even know what a "safe zone" is. If a Christian group gets together, and people aren't allowed to go in and disrupt it... guess what - that's a safe space. Happens all the time.
Officially sanctioned by the state run school, on school grounds? Where is this happening?

Safe zones are a crock. I guess we could go back to the old days, where you could legally tell people you didn't want to hang out with to stay on "their side of the tracks".
You can still tell people that today. Of course someone such as yourself would get your ass beat but its still legal.

Officially sanctioned by the state run school, on school grounds? Where is this happening?
On literally every single college campus in America.

Well Jefferson one could argue the Negro at least most are AFRAID to compete in an open world.
Do you really think capitalizing the word afraid gives you more credibility?

Democrat "safe zones" build racial tension just like the old Jim Crow democrat days of Segregation just like the white/black bathrooms.

Its PC based racism and nothing more.
Wrong.

It’s a ridiculous non-issue contrived by the right, an effort by conservatives to create a ‘controversy’ where none exists for some perceived partisan gain.

Forum List

Back