Ron Paul says tornado victims should not get aid

I stood there for over 2 hours watching them talk about "wqho should do what" and "who didnt want to do what"....

And in that 2 hours?

I would have filled no less than 50 buckets of rubble.

This is precisely why we need to build our communities stronger with self sufficient people who will tell the government to get the heck out of the way when they try to say differently.

No looking to the federal government to provide a solution is telling people "fuck you."

If you really cared you would do more than just pay your taxes and look to your government for a solution every time disaster strikes.

I bet it's pretty easy to sit on your ass and point to the government..

I would call that arrogant and snug...

Paying taxes isn't good enough....

Not to mention the majority of those assholes who sit there snug, who point to the government for solutions don't pay taxes anyways..

Once again liberalism IS a mental disorder...

Here is the way disaster relief works

If your house burns down, you are responsible for repairs along with whatever insurance and local charities wil pay

If there is a massive fire in your town, you still pay to fix your house, but the state will step in to provide additional assistance along with national charities

In a major disaster affecting a large region, the federal government steps in along with the state to provide disaster relief. National charities still provide individual assistance while the state and federal government provides grants and low cost loans to allow you to get back on your feet

So explain this...

if my house is struck by lightening and burns down....

Why am I not afforded the government grants and low cost loans?

How does "widespread" affect anyone individually more than "one home affected"?

You see...when you hgave government pick and choose, nothing is done fairly.

When the people pick and choose, everything is done fairly.

It is a question of magnitude

Your house burns down, you, your insurance and local charities are capable of providing temporary housing, food, clothing and assistance to get you back on your feet

Let's look at a disaster the size of Katrina. You may have lost your house and your insurance can pick up the tab. But local charities are overwhelmed, there is no electricity, the hospitals are closed, roads are blocked, the place you used to work is gone. The state has it's own budget and it is overwhelmed by a catastropy of this magnitude

We need a strong government disaster relief in theses cases. Food, water, medical assistance, communications, emergency power, temporary housing for thousands of refugees. Entire communities need to be rebuilt. Schools, Bridges, power grids, hospitals.

Sorry, but your local charities cannot handle this.....neither can the Red Cross

Last edited:
If you have no problem with your tax dollars going to aid them then you'd have no problem donating to them of your own free will. Not to mention that he's absolutely right that they should have insurance to cover them.

My heart goes out to the victims too, most especially those I know personally. We immediately give a little extra to private relief agencies who move in immediately to help those who have suffered property damage, injuries, or loss of loved ones. Our Mennonite friends who go to all disaster areas at their own expense and to help in any way they can are already there.

Once you take emotion out of it, however, and replace that with solid common siense, certain principles must apply for a free people:

The house that burned down in your town last night was just as devastating to the occupants as those caught in the tornados. Why is one more worthy of government rescue than the other?

If you choose to live in a place in which earthquake, hurricanes, large hail, heavy snows, tornados, land/mud slide, avalanche, devastating floods, etc. are essentially non existant--Albuquerque or Phoenix for instance--why should you be liable for risk chosen by people who do live in areas where such risk does exist?

My house is insured against fire, wind, hail and other natural or possible perils. Because we now are in an area essentially immune to flood damage and a damaging earthquake is highly unlikely in our lifetime, we do not have flood insurance or earthquake insurance. When we have lived in areas where flooding was a possibility we did have flood insurance, and if we moved into an earthquake prone area, we would expect to acquire earthquake insurance. It is what responsible people do. My loss should not be your responsibility to take care of.

Homeowners and business owners should be responsible to insure their property or take their chances. If they don't have insurance and sustain severe loss, they will be out the money or they will be at the mercy of family or charities. But then Americans are among the most generous of people on Earth and the outpouring of help is amazing when others are in trouble, most especially in major disasters. Chances are, somebody set up a fund or central agency to collect money and furniture or whatever for even that family who lived in the house that burned down.

It would be appropriate for the federal government to go into large disaster areas to help clear roads and administer necessary immediate emergency aid when local communities or states are overwhelmed. But that should be it. They should not assume the responsibilities that the Homewowners should have assumed in return for the privilege of home ownership.

And thus why I asked this question earlier...but no one wanted to answer:

Your house burns down, you, your insurance and local charities are capable of providing temporary housing, food, clothing and assistance to get you back on your feet

Let's look at a disaster the size of Katrina. You may have lost your house and your insurance can pick up the tab. But local charities are overwhelmed, there is no electricity, the hospitals are closed, roads are blocked, the place you used to work is gone. The state has it's own budget and it is overwhelmed by a catastropy of this magnitude

We need a strong government disaster relief in theses cases. Food, water, medical assistance, communications, emergency power, temporary housing for thousands of refugees. Entire communities need to be rebuilt. Schools, Bridges, power grids, hospitals.

Sorry, but your local charities cannot handle this.....neither can the Red Cross

Why? Because you say so?

So where in the Constitution does it say we don't send disaster relief unless we reach a certain magnitude? In fact, where does it mention sending diaster relief at all? And why the heck is private charity not good enough for you when we have demonstrated time and time again as a people that we will step up and help others.

If your house burns down, you are responsible for repairs along with whatever insurance and local charities wil pay

If there is a massive fire in your town, you still pay to fix your house, but the state will step in to provide additional assistance along with national charities

In a major disaster affecting a large region, the federal government steps in along with the state to provide disaster relief. National charities still provide individual assistance while the state and federal government provides grants and low cost loans to allow you to get back on your feet

So explain this...

what you just described is fine...

bnut completely ignored the3 question of whay I am not able to get government grants and loan interest loans...somnething you said the people of disaster areas are afforded when disaster hits...

So? Please....answer that question.

So explain this...

And gov't, despite a huge budget for it, failed miserably in Katrina.

In a common sense world, we'd realize how much more efficient charities are vs gov't, and we'd provide a tax cut so ppl can afford to donate more in times like this.

Instead we tax people to provide inefficient work like we saw in Katrina, and we're taxing our kids and grankids with the deficits these expenditures help cause because we all know neither party gives a damn about responsible spending and budget balancing, or dare I say, a surplus.

Ron Paul says tornado victims should not get aid | 11alive.com

Nuts. My heart goes out to the people in tornado alley and I have no problem with my tax dollars going to help the survivors rebuild their lives.

I agree with Ron Paul. Until fairly recently, it was never considered to be a proper function of government to provide people with subsidies if they were involved in a natural disaster.

Why should some middle class family that chooses to live in safer areas of the country pay to subsidize the lifestyle of people living in areas prone to violent weather. The later group should pay the full cost of their lifestyle choices.

Bullshit..

The big bucks come from good people..

Glenn Beck just made a massive donation...

Most of the funds come from a collective that donate what they can. 5 bucks here 10 bucks there and 100 bucks here and there add up pretty quick.

This says it all about you.:clap2:

Of course Glenn Beck is a good person. he puts his money and his actions where his mouth is.

It does say alot about Nick to realize that. Im not sure what you think it says about him though.

:eusa_whistle::cuckoo::eusa_liar::eek:

Ron Paul says tornado victims should not get aid | 11alive.com

Nuts. My heart goes out to the people in tornado alley and I have no problem with my tax dollars going to help the survivors rebuild their lives.

I agree with Ron Paul. Until fairly recently, it was never considered to be a proper function of government to provide people with subsidies if they were involved in a natural disaster.

Why should some middle class family that chooses to live in safer areas of the country pay to subsidize the lifestyle of people living in areas prone to violent weather. The later group should pay the full cost of their lifestyle choices.

My criteria for buying my first house:

25% down payment in cash minimum
An income where my mortgage payment, property taxes, heating and electricity costs AND homeowners insurance including flood combined being no more than 35% of net.

The result?

My first house was a snmall box on a busy street....

People dont get it.

If they couldnt afford insurance?
They couldnt afford their mortgage?

They were lviing beyond their means and flitrting with disaster.

So explain this...

Maybe if the states didn't blow all their money they would have money for "a rainy day."

Only incompetent leadership would have no money...

Truth is a lot of people are just lazy and stupid and look to the government to provide for them and when disaster strikes there is no money because all the money was spent providing a free life for the lazy...

You know because X-boxes, cable tv, internet, cell phones, cars, housing, cloths, furniture, utilities etc are all a RIGHT in the United States... If you cant earn those things yourself the the taxpayers will foot the bill...

The only reason why states (and our federal government) is broke is because democrats are retarded... They buy votes with welfare...

So maybe if we actually had expectations out of individuals then MAYBE, just MAYBE - states would have more money...

Of course anytime anyone expects anything out of anyone they're "evil hate mongers who want to see poor people die."

Yeah, they're going to die if they don't have the newest Jordan shoes or the newest video game system etc...

Last edited:
This says it all about you.:clap2:

Of course Glenn Beck is a good person. he puts his money and his actions where his mouth is.

It does say alot about Nick to realize that. Im not sure what you think it says about him though.

So to you, if someone sees things differently than you politically, they are a bad person...even if they do other GOOD things that has nothing to do with politics?

Kind of a pathetic position you have there.

So explain this...

bnut completely ignored the3 question of whay I am not able to get government grants and loan interest loans...somnething you said the people of disaster areas are afforded when disaster hits...

Good question. It may be a question of magnitude once again. If your house burns down, you still have your job. You still have a community structure around you.

What happens when your entire community is wiped out? Your job is gone, friends and neighbors who would have helped you before, now have their own problems. Is a bank going to help you when you don't even have a job anymore? Is a bank going to invest in a community that has been wiped out? The government will. Those loans not only help you rebuild your house but help your boss rebuild his business, help rebuild schools and bridges and roads

Personally, as a citizen, it makes me feel good to know that my government is there to help people in need. When I see US troops helping OUR people in a disaster area it makes me proud to be an American

I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the general government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the government, the government should not support the people.

The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune. This has been repeatedly and quite lately demonstrated. Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character, while it prevents the indulgence among our people of that kindly sentiment and conduct which strengthens the bonds of a common brotherhood.

Veto of the Texas Seed Bill - Grover Cleveland - Mises Daily

One reason I consider Grover Cleveland to have been our best President.

Good question. It may be a question of magnitude once again. If your house burns down, you still have your job. You still have a community structure around you.

What happens when your entire community is wiped out? Your job is gone, friends and neighbors who would have helped you before, now have their own problems. Is a bank going to help you when you don't even have a job anymore? Is a bank going to invest in a community that has been wiped out? The government will. Those loans not only help you rebuild your house but help your boss rebuild his business, help rebuild schools and bridges and roads

Personally, as a citizen, it makes me feel good to know that my government is there to help people in need. When I see US troops helping OUR people in a disaster area it makes me proud to be an American

what about what you dont see?

Like no one from the government helping the poor guy who lost his house in a hurricane...but there just wasnt enough widespread damage for the government to care about him.

Instead, the peoplke came out and helped him.

Interestingly...he was helped within hours of his house being destroyed.

If he had to wait for government, he would have waited for days.

Whatever.....I never count on governemnt and I never call on government.

FYI...Government didnt show up at the pit until 9-14-01

I was there at 6AM on 9-12 with hundreds of others volunteers.

Sure...sadly there were really no survivors....but if there were, they would have perished by 9-14.

Good job government.

So explain this...

When Katrina hit many people here in Georgia got together and provided TRUCKLOADS of water, food, clothing and medical supplies for the victims. Within 48 hours these tractor-trailers were pulling in to Baton Rouge. FEMA stopped us and told us that they didn't need it and made us turn the trucks around. :eek:

THAT is our Federal government in action.

I'll tell you one thing, Mississippi was sure glad to have the help. We were unloaded 8 hours later and on our way back to Ga. to reload. :cool:

If you have no problem with your tax dollars going to aid them then you'd have no problem donating to them of your own free will. Not to mention that he's absolutely right that they should have insurance to cover them.

In many cases, the insurance is so outrageously expensive that they can't afford it.

Not only am I absolutely ok with my tax dollars going to help my fellow Americans, I've also donated to the Red Cross in each state affected. That's the Christian thing, and the American thing to do.

Yeah, well where I live homeowners insurance is mandatory, and I live in Illinois, so that means those struck in Illinois are all covered.
More of that FreeDumb eh ?
It's understood that the Jews that own most peoples homes require them to buy homeowners from the insurance companies that they also own but "mandatory" as in even a house you actually own (no mortgage)? Pure Fascism.

So to you, if someone sees things differently than you politically, they are a bad person...even if they do other GOOD things that has nothing to do with politics?

Kind of a pathetic position you have there.

Nah, it is pathetic of you to not realize what a Glenn Beck believer is like.
:eusa_whistle:

"Magnitude" is nothing more than perception.

I've seen bitches freak out when they break a nail and I have seen dudes nearly cut their finger off and they were calm, as if it was a paper cut...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back