Romney Campaign's Silence On Lilly Ledbetter Act

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
If Romney wants to close that 18 point gender gap, he'd better get his story straight and stop supporting people like WI gov Walker, who recently repealed WI's state equal pay law. Or at least tell his aides not to hesitate when asked whether he supports equal pay for women.

Mitt Romney and Lilly Ledbetter Equal Pay Act: "We'll Have to Get Back to You on That"

Apparently, the upcoming recall election is not enough controversy for Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. Last Thursday he decided to step it up a notch by also repealing the 2009 Equal Pay Enforcement Act in Wisconsin.

And since Mitt Romney has recently expressed his support for Walker—at a GOP dinner in Pewaukee, Romney called Walker a “hero” —the conversation on equal pay has shifted from the governor to the presidential candidate. Immediately following the repeal, President Barack Obama’s campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith emphasized Walker and Romney’s friendship and pointedly asked: “Does Romney think women should have the ability to take their bosses to court to get the same pay as their male coworkers? Or does he stand with Governor Walker against this?”

Initially, it did not seem that the Romney campaign cared to answer. But that changed this morning when Huffington Post journalist Sam Stein asked during a conference call whether Romney supports the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, the first bill signed into law by President Obama. The Romney aide’s answer: “Sam, we’ll get back to you on that.”
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxl05HYTCZ0]Romney Campaign Silence of Lilly Ledbetter Act - YouTube[/ame]

If Romney wants to close that 18 point gender gap, he'd better get his story straight and stop supporting people like WI gov Walker, who recently repealed WI's state equal pay law. Or at least tell his aides not to hesitate when asked whether he supports equal pay for women.

Mitt Romney and Lilly Ledbetter Equal Pay Act: "We'll Have to Get Back to You on That"

Apparently, the upcoming recall election is not enough controversy for Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. Last Thursday he decided to step it up a notch by also repealing the 2009 Equal Pay Enforcement Act in Wisconsin.

And since Mitt Romney has recently expressed his support for Walker—at a GOP dinner in Pewaukee, Romney called Walker a “hero” —the conversation on equal pay has shifted from the governor to the presidential candidate. Immediately following the repeal, President Barack Obama’s campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith emphasized Walker and Romney’s friendship and pointedly asked: “Does Romney think women should have the ability to take their bosses to court to get the same pay as their male coworkers? Or does he stand with Governor Walker against this?”

Initially, it did not seem that the Romney campaign cared to answer. But that changed this morning when Huffington Post journalist Sam Stein asked during a conference call whether Romney supports the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, the first bill signed into law by President Obama. The Romney aide’s answer: “Sam, we’ll get back to you on that.”
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxl05HYTCZ0"]Romney Campaign Silence of Lilly Ledbetter Act - YouTube[/ame]

What is he supposed to say? Is he supposed to be like Obama and talk about how wonderful it is, even though actual numbers are showing that women are, on the average, getting paid more than men, and then pay the women that work for him less than he pays the men?

Ignoring QW's Up Is Down contention women make more than men, I've never been comfortable with the Lilly Bedwetter Act.

How much an employee gets paid should be between the employee and the employer. Maybe her employer paid her less because she was kind of useless.

Also, given the lengths that employers go through to hide what they are paying people, I'm not even sure it's enforceable. My company, you can be fired for tellign a co-worker what you make. It was the same at the last few places I worked, too.

I would rather have a law where an employer had transparency in pay policies and had to rationalize its decisions than an arbitrary one where they had to pay everyone the same, just to keep out of trouble with the lawyers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxl05HYTCZ0"]Romney Campaign Silence of Lilly Ledbetter Act - YouTube[/ame]

What is he supposed to say? Is he supposed to be like Obama and talk about how wonderful it is, even though actual numbers are showing that women are, on the average, getting paid more than men, and then pay the women that work for him less than he pays the men?

They should have given a definitive answer..yes or no.

They later came back and said they wouldn't "repeal" it.

Nice.

:D

• Banned
Ignoring QW's Up Is Down contention women make more than men, I've never been comfortable with the Lilly Bedwetter Act.

How much an employee gets paid should be between the employee and the employer. Maybe her employer paid her less because she was kind of useless.

Also, given the lengths that employers go through to hide what they are paying people, I'm not even sure it's enforceable. My company, you can be fired for tellign a co-worker what you make. It was the same at the last few places I worked, too.

I would rather have a law where an employer had transparency in pay policies and had to rationalize its decisions than an arbitrary one where they had to pay everyone the same, just to keep out of trouble with the lawyers.

The purpose of the law is not just to know how much your coworkers are paid. There was already a similar law on the books which stated that a person has a certain amount of days from the date of their most recent paycheck to file a complaint or suit regarding unfair wages. Then the Supreme Court came along and ruled that a person can only file a complaint or suit acertain amount of days from the first paycheck on which the pay discrepancy occurred. Well, how is a person to file suit if they only found out about the pay discrepancy 2 years into the job and the law says they missed the window? What this law does is go back to the way it worked before the Supreme Court ruling.

I'm sure I got some details wrong, but it works something like that. I've got to get to work, so I don't have the time to look it up, but if you're interested, check it out.

If Romney wants to close that 18 point gender gap, he'd better get his story straight and stop supporting people like WI gov Walker, who recently repealed WI's state equal pay law.

you really need to learn what the fuck your talking about by actually researching, rather than spouting libtard talking points. This was debunked in another thread.

He did NOT repeal the states equal pay law. The legislature repeals a few parts, that dealt with limitations on who you could sue for equal pay discrimination, and reporting requirements, and he signed it. Go look up the thread and educate yourself.

EDIT: here, since you won't likely bother...

Link to other thread on this...

Last edited:
It is illegal under federal law to sanction an employee for exchanging salary information with another employee. Depending on your situation (whether you have a lot of peers or not) it might be wise to exchange this information.

It is clear that a major part of the Obama narrative this year will be the fictitious "War on Women," and it appears that the non-Fox media will be acting in full support. This "news" item is just the latest example.

If Romney wants to close that 18 point gender gap, he'd better get his story straight and stop supporting people like WI gov Walker, who recently repealed WI's state equal pay law.

you really need to learn what the fuck your talking about by actually researching, rather than spouting libtard talking points. This was debunked in another thread.

He did NOT repeal the states equal pay law. The legislature repeals a few parts, that dealt with limitations on who you could sue for equal pay discrimination, and reporting requirements, and he signed it. Go look up the thread and educate yourself.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/216844-walker-quietly-repeals-equal-pay-law-3.html#post5087109

Yeah...all he did was make it more difficult to have their cases heard. No biggie, right?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/216844-walker-quietly-repeals-equal-pay-law-3.html#post5087109

Yeah...all he did was make it more difficult to have their cases heard. No biggie, right?

you really need to go read that post. It does NOT make it more difficult to have the case heard.

Romney Campaign Silence of Lilly Ledbetter Act - YouTube

Nice.

I smell waffles

you really need to go read that post. It does NOT make it more difficult to have the case heard.

The law that Wanker repealed allowed the cases to be heard in State rather than in Federal courts. Taking away that ability most certainly does make it more difficult for the case to be heard since it reduces the avenues in which it can be heard by 50%.

This law means a couple grand difference a year for my family as my wife was being underpaid for doing the same job as her co-workers.

Stupid CONZ argue against a law that makes sure they don't get fucked.

The law that Wanker repealed allowed the cases to be heard in State rather than in Federal courts. Taking away that ability most certainly does make it more difficult for the case to be heard since it reduces the avenues in which it can be heard by 50%.

Again, since you appear to be too partisan to comprehend this, he did NOT repeal the law. It was amended. Go look at the linked post above. All the amended sections are listed.

Educate yourself.

This law means a couple grand difference a year for my family as my wife was being underpaid for doing the same job as her co-workers.

Stupid CONZ argue against a law that makes sure they don't get fucked.

You realize NOTHING in the actions Walker took PREVENTS your wife from getting equal pay for equal work, right?

Oh yeah, my bad. Walker only made it so complaintants can only sue in more expensive federal courts as oppossed to more affordable state courts. I guess that means that Walker is a stand up guy :thup:

You want to ignore facts? Why am I not surprised?

Study: Young, Single, Childless Women Earn More Than Men - TIME

You really should take your head out of your ass before you try to pretend you are smart.

Romney Campaign Silence of Lilly Ledbetter Act - YouTube

Nice.

Umm, they did give a definitive answer, and they did not come back and say they wouldn't repeal it. You should stop watching MSNBC.

Lilly Ledbetter, who made false claims about her case, attacks Romney - Washington DC SCOTUS | Examiner.com

Forum List

Back