Romney Campaign's Silence On Lilly Ledbetter Act

Wow liberals touting a piece of legislation to make things "fair". I bet this one is a doozey? I find it funny how these fair bills, make things way more complicated and increase the power of the government and then some liberal dipshit gets a union, never can be fired job and does nothing while collecting a huge paycheck.

Ignoring QW's Up Is Down contention women make more than men, I've never been comfortable with the Lilly Bedwetter Act.

How much an employee gets paid should be between the employee and the employer. Maybe her employer paid her less because she was kind of useless.

Also, given the lengths that employers go through to hide what they are paying people, I'm not even sure it's enforceable. My company, you can be fired for tellign a co-worker what you make. It was the same at the last few places I worked, too.

I would rather have a law where an employer had transparency in pay policies and had to rationalize its decisions than an arbitrary one where they had to pay everyone the same, just to keep out of trouble with the lawyers.

The purpose of the law is not just to know how much your coworkers are paid. There was already a similar law on the books which stated that a person has a certain amount of days from the date of their most recent paycheck to file a complaint or suit regarding unfair wages. Then the Supreme Court came along and ruled that a person can only file a complaint or suit acertain amount of days from the first paycheck on which the pay discrepancy occurred. Well, how is a person to file suit if they only found out about the pay discrepancy 2 years into the job and the law says they missed the window? What this law does is go back to the way it worked before the Supreme Court ruling.

I'm sure I got some details wrong, but it works something like that. I've got to get to work, so I don't have the time to look it up, but if you're interested, check it out.

That is not what happened.

Lily Ledbetter lied about the facts of the case, and tried to make it look like she was unaware of the pay difference. The Supreme Court merely ruled that the statutory limit to filing a case applied, and overturned an activist court ruling that said that people didn't need to file withing the limits in the law.

You should try using facts occasionally, you might learn something.

If Romney wants to close that 18 point gender gap, he'd better get his story straight and stop supporting people like WI gov Walker, who recently repealed WI's state equal pay law.

you really need to learn what the fuck your talking about by actually researching, rather than spouting libtard talking points. This was debunked in another thread.

He did NOT repeal the states equal pay law. The legislature repeals a few parts, that dealt with limitations on who you could sue for equal pay discrimination, and reporting requirements, and he signed it. Go look up the thread and educate yourself.

EDIT: here, since you won't likely bother...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...etly-repeals-equal-pay-law-3.html#post5087109

Yeah...all he did was make it more difficult to have their cases heard. No biggie, right?

Is that "all" he did?

Yeah...all he did was make it more difficult to have their cases heard. No biggie, right?

you really need to go read that post. It does NOT make it more difficult to have the case heard.

The law that Wanker repealed allowed the cases to be heard in State rather than in Federal courts. Taking away that ability most certainly does make it more difficult for the case to be heard since it reduces the avenues in which it can be heard by 50%.

Actually, it doesn't. It simply means that state courts cannot ignore federal labor laws and make up their own rules, something you support, except when you don't.

Yep also congressional republicans voted against equal pay for women, they also voted to redefine rape so that only people raped violently would be classified as rape victims, they also voted to make it so women couldn't get preventive health care, they also voted to force women to have their vaginas inspected by doctors of which the women had to pay for it. Romney has come out in favor of all those things

It is illegal under federal law to sanction an employee for exchanging salary information with another employee. Depending on your situation (whether you have a lot of peers or not) it might be wise to exchange this information.

It is clear that a major part of the Obama narrative this year will be the fictitious "War on Women," and it appears that the non-Fox media will be acting in full support. This "news" item is just the latest example.

That sounds good on paper, but most states are what is called 'At Will" employment. They really don't need a reason to fire you.

They can just do it. Violation of company policy.

And there is a good reason why they don't want to exchange this info. It just leads to all sorts of professional jealousies. But part of the problem is that companies don't use a standard to pay people. The person hired in 2009 during the recession is going to have to suck hind tit compared to the guy hired in 2006 when things were good.

Yep also congressional republicans voted against equal pay for women, they also voted to redefine rape so that only people raped violently would be classified as rape victims, they also voted to make it so women couldn't get preventive health care, they also voted to force women to have their vaginas inspected by doctors of which the women had to pay for it. Romney has come out in favor of all those things

Ok well rightwingers are big on statutory rape, most democrats arent. And why do democrats make laws on such things when they're just gonna say he was poor and should be given community service?
Explain rape that's not violent, statuatory is one, what else is there?

Preventative health care, how did republicans do that? When did republicans force women to get their vaginas examined?

Last edited:

All I can say is that hatred is an amazing substitute for reason. If you want to think republicans force women to have their vaginas inspected you ain't seen nothin yet. Wait for Barry's government employed medical technicians and tax lawyers to run the show when the 3,000 page "law" that nobody read clicks in.

Nice try lefties. You tried to blindside Romney and he outran you. More reason the way I see it to vote for the guy.

He outran Democrats? He better pick up the pace if he wants to overcome that 18 point gender gap :lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back