Roger Ailes’ Secret Nixon-Era Blueprint for Fox News

Discussion in 'Media' started by Political Junky, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,536
    Roger Ailes' Secret Nixon-Era Blueprint for Fox News

Republican media strategist Roger Ailes launched Fox News Channel in 1996, ostensibly as a "fair and balanced" counterpoint to what he regarded as the liberal establishment media. But according to a remarkable document buried deep within the Richard Nixon Presidential Library, the intellectual forerunner for Fox News was a nakedly partisan 1970 plot by Ailes and other Nixon aides to circumvent the "prejudices of network news" and deliver "pro-administration" stories to heartland television viewers.
    The memo—called, simply enough, "A Plan For Putting the GOP on TV News"— is included in a 318-page cache of documents detailing Ailes' work for both the Nixon and George H.W. Bush administrations that we obtained from the Nixon and Bush presidential libraries. Through his firms REA Productions and Ailes Communications, Inc., Ailes served as paid consultant to both presidents in the 1970s and 1990s, offering detailed and shrewd advice ranging from what ties to wear to how to keep the pressure up on Saddam Hussein in the run-up to the first Gulf War.
    <more>

2. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Yeah.... I saw that too. Interesting.

But truthfully... not illegal or particularly scandalous. Just interesting.

3. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,938
    Do Progressives understand the meaning of the First Amendment?

4. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,190
    Maybe the wingnuts here will finally get it through their heads that when I use the term 'rightwing propaganda machine' as I regularly do,

I know what I'm talking about.

5. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,190
    Yes, exposing the machinations of Ailes and Foxnews is an exercise in free speech.

6. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Exactly carbineer.

Personally... I don't give a shit... more and more people are seeing what Fox News is. More and more people can see the stonewalling for what it is.

Ohio just repealed their Beloved Tea Party Governor's Attack on Collective Bargaining, Wisconsin is ready to run Their Tea Party Governor out on a rail, Christy's in trouble in NJ and on and on...

The American People are generally not stupid and can see with their own two eyes what's going on. Are they happy with Obama? No... but much of that angst is because they feel he needs to grow a set and play hardball with the GOP like they do with him.

7. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Why shouldn't there be a right wing presentation of political thought in the media to counter the same thing from the left? And what is this sinister implication of "secret?" Are right wingers required oby law to spill their business plans any more than the left? If we could all be honest enough to accept the fact that all issues actually have two, or more sides, then, the public could make intelligent choices, instead of being led like sheep to be sheared.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  8. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    There should be. Like I said... I have no problem with it.

The only problem I have is FOX News' diatribe that they are the only worthy news outlet. the rest is "Lame Stream Media"

That's bullshit. MSNBC is the same thing as FOX, except a polar opposite. Most Networks and CNN are fairly middle of the road. They lean a little left here and a little right there.

In fact... there's only ONE show I watch on MSNBC... and that's Dylan Ratigan.... and he's just a little left of Center and he has a very good bead on the economy and the problems with Big business AND government.

9. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,536
    Nothing wrong at all. The memo just proves that Fox was never meant to be fair and balanced.

10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,695
    funny that, cause in reality it is. they show both points of view on a regular basis.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1