Robin DiAngelo: White people are still raised to be racially illiterate

White people will be replaced so I don't see why we need to bother with their "feelings"

Exactly why more, and more Whites have been voting Republican, I mean just your glaring anti-White sentiments are cringe-worthy.
Eventually whites will be relegated to small pools of inbred people in europe. They will go the way of the neanderthal shortly thereafter.

I hope anyone who reads the entire article does so with an open mind and not merely as a reaction to the title. She makes some very good points

Robin DiAngelo White people are still raised to be racially illiterate. If we don't recognize the system, our inaction will uphold it.

The question is not whether I have been shaped by and participate in the forces of racism, it's how I've been shaped by them.

Sep.16.2018 / 5:32 AM ET
180831-hbarczyk-racism-njs-1740_e8cde5d3f44d2fd6b3c274e3de3c174b.fit-760w.jpg

As a white person, I was raised to be racially illiterate. On the rare occasion in which race came up in school or professional development, we typically studied “them,” not “us.” I learned about their histories, struggles and triumphs. But consistently left off the table was the question: “Histories, struggles and triumphs in relation to whom?”

Take the Jackie Robinson story. Robinson is celebrated as the first African-American to break the so-called color line and play in Major League Baseball. While Robinson was certainly an exceptional baseball player, framing the story this way depicts him as racially special. The subtext is that Robinson was the first black athlete strong enough to overcome the barriers preventing blacks from competing with whites; no black athletes before him were skilled enough to do so. While this tagline elevates Robinson as an individual, it implicitly positions African-Americans overall as inferior. It also falsely propagates the belief that racism in sports ended with Robinson, implying that current struggles against racism in sports are unnecessary.

Narratives of racial exceptionality obscure the reality of ongoing institutional white control while reinforcing individualism and the illusion of meritocracy.

Such narratives of racial exceptionality obscure the reality of ongoing institutional white control while reinforcing individualism and the illusion of meritocracy. Importantly, these narratives do whites a disservice by promoting racial illiteracy, leaving us with simplistic explanations for racial inequality. By not naming what those barriers were, who put them there, and how they were removed, we are also denied much needed anti-racist role models. In Robinson’s case, these role models are the white people who actually changed the rules and opened professional sports leagues to African-American players.

Historical narratives of racial exceptionality also leave us unprepared to address current conditions. For example, they hide the role of race in the response to the opioid crisis versus the crack epidemic, the Parkland shooting versus the Black Lives Matter movement, gentrification versus Flint, Michigan, the Bundy Standoff versus Standing Rock. We are left without the analysis needed to engage with these deeply complex social dynamics.

Imagine instead, if the story of Jackie Robinson went something like this: “Jackie Robinson was the first black man whites allowed to play major-league baseball.” This telling acknowledges the role of white control. It simply wasn’t up to Robinson. Had he walked onto the field before being granted permission by white owners and policy makers, the police would have removed him. Critically, the real Jackie Robinson story is a story of the relationship between blacks and whites in this country, between this individual black man and a white institution. Reframing race in the Jackie Robinson story reveals white structures of power and the strategies used by those who contested that power, strategies that we can build upon today as we work for racial justice.

Continued
Takes a real freak to divide people by their skin pigmentation.

Race isn't skin deep, Albino Negroid's don't look like Whites.

Also the cultural aspirations, and attitudes of different races are drastically different, as are there sometimes cultural clashes even within the same race too.

White people will be replaced so I don't see why we need to bother with their "feelings"

Exactly why more, and more Whites have been voting Republican, I mean just your glaring anti-White sentiments are cringe-worthy.
Eventually whites will be relegated to small pools of inbred people in europe. They will go the way of the neanderthal shortly thereafter.

HIV / AIDS is pretty prevalent in some African countries, so much so it could cause Africa to decline too.

HIV / AIDS is pretty prevalent in some African countries, so much so it could cause Africa to decline too.
Nah. Well just develop and immunity to it. There are already some people over there that have done so and it baffles the white scientists. Sorry.

Nah. Well just develop and immunity to it. There are already some people over there that have done so and it baffles the white scientists. Sorry.

Almost everybody who has HIV / AIDS resistance genes are Caucasoid.

Thats because they already had AIDs in europe long ago. Thats probably why Black people had to come over and re educate you whites.

Thats because they already had AIDs in europe long ago.

They link it to the Plagues, which BTW the Black Death came from Asia on Rats, and on Mongols.

They link it to the Plagues, which BTW the Black Death came from Asia on Rats, and on Mongols.
Or so they say.

I hope anyone who reads the entire article does so with an open mind and not merely as a reaction to the title. She makes some very good points

Robin DiAngelo White people are still raised to be racially illiterate. If we don't recognize the system, our inaction will uphold it.

The question is not whether I have been shaped by and participate in the forces of racism, it's how I've been shaped by them.

As a white person, I was raised to be racially illiterate. On the rare occasion in which race came up in school or professional development, we typically studied “them,” not “us.” I learned about their histories, struggles and triumphs. But consistently left off the table was the question: “Histories, struggles and triumphs in relation to whom?”

Take the Jackie Robinson story. Robinson is celebrated as the first African-American to break the so-called color line and play in Major League Baseball. While Robinson was certainly an exceptional baseball player, framing the story this way depicts him as racially special. The subtext is that Robinson was the first black athlete strong enough to overcome the barriers preventing blacks from competing with whites; no black athletes before him were skilled enough to do so. While this tagline elevates Robinson as an individual, it implicitly positions African-Americans overall as inferior. It also falsely propagates the belief that racism in sports ended with Robinson, implying that current struggles against racism in sports are unnecessary.

Narratives of racial exceptionality obscure the reality of ongoing institutional white control while reinforcing individualism and the illusion of meritocracy.

Such narratives of racial exceptionality obscure the reality of ongoing institutional white control while reinforcing individualism and the illusion of meritocracy. Importantly, these narratives do whites a disservice by promoting racial illiteracy, leaving us with simplistic explanations for racial inequality. By not naming what those barriers were, who put them there, and how they were removed, we are also denied much needed anti-racist role models. In Robinson’s case, these role models are the white people who actually changed the rules and opened professional sports leagues to African-American players.

Historical narratives of racial exceptionality also leave us unprepared to address current conditions. For example, they hide the role of race in the response to the opioid crisis versus the crack epidemic, the Parkland shooting versus the Black Lives Matter movement, gentrification versus Flint, Michigan, the Bundy Standoff versus Standing Rock. We are left without the analysis needed to engage with these deeply complex social dynamics.

Imagine instead, if the story of Jackie Robinson went something like this: “Jackie Robinson was the first black man whites allowed to play major-league baseball.” This telling acknowledges the role of white control. It simply wasn’t up to Robinson. Had he walked onto the field before being granted permission by white owners and policy makers, the police would have removed him. Critically, the real Jackie Robinson story is a story of the relationship between blacks and whites in this country, between this individual black man and a white institution. Reframing race in the Jackie Robinson story reveals white structures of power and the strategies used by those who contested that power, strategies that we can build upon today as we work for racial justice.

Continued
Robinson wasn't the first black baseball player to be "skilled enough" to play with whites. He was the first one to come along when race relations had evolved enough to allow integration to begin.

I stopped reading after that.

Continued
Robinson wasn't the first black baseball player to "skilled enough" to play with whites. He was the first one to come along when race relations had evolved enough to allow integration to begin.

I stopped reading after that.
Robinson wasnt really the first Black guy to play in the MLB. Moses Walker was.

the rats were brought back to Europe by the NOBLE KNIGHTS OF THE HOLY CRUSADES .......amen

Also the cultural aspirations, and attitudes of different races are drastically different, as are there sometimes cultural clashes even within the same race too.
What do you mean by "culteral aspirations"? This isn't a criticism, I'm just asking for a clarificaiton if you don't mind.

There's some pretty drastic differences in cultures, and their aspirations.

Everything from a Swede, to a Bushman.

... and human society will devolve into anarchy and chaos within two generations and cease to exist in five or six generations

Forum List

Back