Robin DiAngelo: White people are still raised to be racially illiterate

White people's strengths?
Lactose tolerance, make up about 90% of the most important scientists, engineers, artists, literature, musicians etc.

Michael Jackson and Prince were the GOATs. Not white.

The most important musicians are Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Schubert, Liszt, Stravinski, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Shostakovich etc. etc.
Those people are only important to white people. Besides, this was after Blacks came and taught europeans how to play music.

The first flutes are found over 40,000 years ago in Slovenia, and Germany AKA Europe.
Whites have only been around 10k years. Sorry dog.

Can you name the top 5 QBs? No. Because you don’t watch football. LMAO. Sissy boy. Are you watching reruns of Sex in the City?

He he he he

Dumbass primitive fool.

So what he owns the Patriots. He is still white.

Sigh... this is lost on you. You didn’t even know who he was. You are stupid. You probably suck at hoops too.
Why should I know who he is? The Patriots arent important to me. Hell I dont even watch football.

Ha ha ha ha ha. You just admitted that you are not a real man. Are you transitioning? Mwhahahahahahah

Sissy boy
You just admitted you have never been a man. Anyone that thinks watching football makes you a man has some self esteem issues.

Ha ha ha. Don’t back pedal. Do you hang with the women and discuss plants and dresses? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha ha. Sissy boy.

Are you watching the Real Housewives? LMAO
I love hanging out with women. You should try it sometime. No wonder you have that low fertility problem. Love gardening too. I even have a butterfly garden.

I hope anyone who reads the entire article does so with an open mind and not merely as a reaction to the title. She makes some very good points

Robin DiAngelo White people are still raised to be racially illiterate. If we don't recognize the system, our inaction will uphold it.

The question is not whether I have been shaped by and participate in the forces of racism, it's how I've been shaped by them.

Sep.16.2018 / 5:32 AM ET
180831-hbarczyk-racism-njs-1740_e8cde5d3f44d2fd6b3c274e3de3c174b.fit-760w.jpg

As a white person, I was raised to be racially illiterate. On the rare occasion in which race came up in school or professional development, we typically studied “them,” not “us.” I learned about their histories, struggles and triumphs. But consistently left off the table was the question: “Histories, struggles and triumphs in relation to whom?”

Take the Jackie Robinson story. Robinson is celebrated as the first African-American to break the so-called color line and play in Major League Baseball. While Robinson was certainly an exceptional baseball player, framing the story this way depicts him as racially special. The subtext is that Robinson was the first black athlete strong enough to overcome the barriers preventing blacks from competing with whites; no black athletes before him were skilled enough to do so. While this tagline elevates Robinson as an individual, it implicitly positions African-Americans overall as inferior. It also falsely propagates the belief that racism in sports ended with Robinson, implying that current struggles against racism in sports are unnecessary.

Narratives of racial exceptionality obscure the reality of ongoing institutional white control while reinforcing individualism and the illusion of meritocracy.

Such narratives of racial exceptionality obscure the reality of ongoing institutional white control while reinforcing individualism and the illusion of meritocracy. Importantly, these narratives do whites a disservice by promoting racial illiteracy, leaving us with simplistic explanations for racial inequality. By not naming what those barriers were, who put them there, and how they were removed, we are also denied much needed anti-racist role models. In Robinson’s case, these role models are the white people who actually changed the rules and opened professional sports leagues to African-American players.

Historical narratives of racial exceptionality also leave us unprepared to address current conditions. For example, they hide the role of race in the response to the opioid crisis versus the crack epidemic, the Parkland shooting versus the Black Lives Matter movement, gentrification versus Flint, Michigan, the Bundy Standoff versus Standing Rock. We are left without the analysis needed to engage with these deeply complex social dynamics.

Imagine instead, if the story of Jackie Robinson went something like this: “Jackie Robinson was the first black man whites allowed to play major-league baseball.” This telling acknowledges the role of white control. It simply wasn’t up to Robinson. Had he walked onto the field before being granted permission by white owners and policy makers, the police would have removed him. Critically, the real Jackie Robinson story is a story of the relationship between blacks and whites in this country, between this individual black man and a white institution. Reframing race in the Jackie Robinson story reveals white structures of power and the strategies used by those who contested that power, strategies that we can build upon today as we work for racial justice.

Continued
I thought about your post today when I encountered a white woman that exemplified what you are saying. I have a shirt with a West African symbol on it that I am wearing today. I was at the store being rung up by a Black lady when the white woman working with her says to me that she likes my shirt because it didnt have a message. She said she likes abstract art. I didnt want to be mean so I just said thank you. She asked me where I got it and I told her it was an African symbol. She looked startled, like Africa was the last place she expected it to be from. She says "I didnt know Africans do art like that." I let her have it after that remark. I told her not only do Africans do art like that but the symbol means to never forget your history so it actually did have a meaning. I told her it was important to remember our history especially in the US where it was stolen from Black people.

That's a ... ahem, lovely story. :auiqs.jpg:

The most important musicians are Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Schubert, Liszt, Stravinski, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Shostakovich etc. etc.
Those people are only important to white people. Besides, this was after Blacks came and taught europeans how to play music.

The first flutes are found over 40,000 years ago in Slovenia, and Germany AKA Europe.

Can you name the top 5 QBs? No. Because you don’t watch football. LMAO. Sissy boy. Are you watching reruns of Sex in the City?

He he he he

Dumbass primitive fool.
Why would I name the top 5 at any position if I dont watch football?

Assfacesias plays the skin flute and doesn’t like football. Mehahhahahahahahhahaha
Azzgog thinks he is man because he watches men in tights run around with a ball. :laugh:

A sissy boy says what? Do you enjoy watching cooking shows? Ha ha ha ha ha. Are you part of. A sewing club? Real men play pool and watch football. Since you aren’t one you don’t know this. Mwahahhahahahahajaha

Sigh... this is lost on you. You didn’t even know who he was. You are stupid. You probably suck at hoops too.
Why should I know who he is? The Patriots arent important to me. Hell I dont even watch football.

Ha ha ha ha ha. You just admitted that you are not a real man. Are you transitioning? Mwhahahahahahah

Sissy boy
You just admitted you have never been a man. Anyone that thinks watching football makes you a man has some self esteem issues.

Ha ha ha. Don’t back pedal. Do you hang with the women and discuss plants and dresses? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha ha. Sissy boy.

I love hanging out with women. You should try it sometime. No wonder you have that low fertility problem. Love gardening too. I even have a butterfly garden.

Of course you do. You exchange lipstick advice and dress colors. I have two kids. You have zero because nature won’t let you procreate. Hahahahahhahaha

He he he he

Dumbass primitive fool.

LMAO. This is the best. You call me fake Jew. I call You fake man. You Assfaceias are a disgrace and a sissy. Mehahahahhahahahahahahahahah

Sissy boy

Of course you do. You exchange lipstick advice and dress colors. I have two kids. You have zero because nature won’t let you procreate. Hahahahahhahaha
Only two? Like I said. Low fertility. I have 4 kids myself.

He he he he

Dumbass primitive fool.

LMAO. This is the best. You call me fake Jew. I call You fake man. You Assfaceias are a disgrace and a sissy. Mehahahahhahahahahahahahahah
Youre fighting an insecurity complex. Only someone in the closet would claim that watching football makes you a man. :laugh:

He he he he

Dumbass primitive fool.

Youre fighting an insecurity complex. Only someone in the closet would claim that watching football makes you a man. :laugh:

Only a sissy would not watch football. LMAO. How is your sewing club. You’re weak ass. You’re the best your people got to stand up for em? Shit you make Kaep seem brave. LMAO. Too funny

Sissy boy

No you don’t. Unless they were four virgin births. LMAO. Daddy will you throw a football with me? Sorry son. Daddy doesn’t know football. But I ll sow you a blanket. LMAO. This is the best.

He he he he

Dumbass primitive fool.

Only a sissy would not watch football. LMAO. How is your sewing club. You’re weak ass. You’re the best your people got to stand up for em? Shit you make Kaep seem brave. LMAO. Too funny
Only a sissy with low testosterone would need to watch football to feel like a man. You should talk to someone about your overcompensation.
laugh.gif

No you don’t. Unless they were four virgin births. LMAO. Daddy will you throw a football with me? Sorry son. Daddy doesn’t know football. But I ll sow you a blanket. LMAO. This is the best.
Youre trying too hard because you admitted you feel like a female if you dont watch football. You'll never live this down.
laugh.gif

I hope anyone who reads the entire article does so with an open mind and not merely as a reaction to the title. She makes some very good points

Robin DiAngelo White people are still raised to be racially illiterate. If we don't recognize the system, our inaction will uphold it.

The question is not whether I have been shaped by and participate in the forces of racism, it's how I've been shaped by them.

Sep.16.2018 / 5:32 AM ET
180831-hbarczyk-racism-njs-1740_e8cde5d3f44d2fd6b3c274e3de3c174b.fit-760w.jpg

As a white person, I was raised to be racially illiterate. On the rare occasion in which race came up in school or professional development, we typically studied “them,” not “us.” I learned about their histories, struggles and triumphs. But consistently left off the table was the question: “Histories, struggles and triumphs in relation to whom?”

Take the Jackie Robinson story. Robinson is celebrated as the first African-American to break the so-called color line and play in Major League Baseball. While Robinson was certainly an exceptional baseball player, framing the story this way depicts him as racially special. The subtext is that Robinson was the first black athlete strong enough to overcome the barriers preventing blacks from competing with whites; no black athletes before him were skilled enough to do so. While this tagline elevates Robinson as an individual, it implicitly positions African-Americans overall as inferior. It also falsely propagates the belief that racism in sports ended with Robinson, implying that current struggles against racism in sports are unnecessary.

Narratives of racial exceptionality obscure the reality of ongoing institutional white control while reinforcing individualism and the illusion of meritocracy.

Such narratives of racial exceptionality obscure the reality of ongoing institutional white control while reinforcing individualism and the illusion of meritocracy. Importantly, these narratives do whites a disservice by promoting racial illiteracy, leaving us with simplistic explanations for racial inequality. By not naming what those barriers were, who put them there, and how they were removed, we are also denied much needed anti-racist role models. In Robinson’s case, these role models are the white people who actually changed the rules and opened professional sports leagues to African-American players.

Historical narratives of racial exceptionality also leave us unprepared to address current conditions. For example, they hide the role of race in the response to the opioid crisis versus the crack epidemic, the Parkland shooting versus the Black Lives Matter movement, gentrification versus Flint, Michigan, the Bundy Standoff versus Standing Rock. We are left without the analysis needed to engage with these deeply complex social dynamics.

Imagine instead, if the story of Jackie Robinson went something like this: “Jackie Robinson was the first black man whites allowed to play major-league baseball.” This telling acknowledges the role of white control. It simply wasn’t up to Robinson. Had he walked onto the field before being granted permission by white owners and policy makers, the police would have removed him. Critically, the real Jackie Robinson story is a story of the relationship between blacks and whites in this country, between this individual black man and a white institution. Reframing race in the Jackie Robinson story reveals white structures of power and the strategies used by those who contested that power, strategies that we can build upon today as we work for racial justice.

Continued

Whites are raised in learned helplessness. They are taught not racial illiteracy but racial self hatred.
I think that is being fixed now though.

Youre trying too hard because you admitted you feel like a female if you dont watch football. You'll never live this down.
laugh.gif

A sissy says what?

laugh.gif

A sissy says what?
Why do you say "what"?

I think you should focus on getting your man card back. See a real man doesnt have to watch football to be a man.
laugh.gif

He he he he

Dumbass primitive fool.

Only a sissy with low testosterone would need to watch football to feel like a man. You should talk to someone about your overcompensation.
laugh.gif

The back pedaling is rich. Can you quilt and back pedal at the same time? He he he he. I discount all your posts now. I dont Take “men” who don’t watch football seriously.

You are a wimp and a disgrace.

laugh.gif

A sissy says what?
Why do you say "what"? I think you should focus on getting your man card back. See a real man doesnt have to watch football to be a man.

A sissy says what?

laugh.gif

The back pedaling is rich. Can you quilt and back pedal at the same time? He he he he. I discount all your posts now. I dont Take “men” who don’t watch football seriously.

You are a wimp and a disgrace.
Says the sissy that doesnt feel like a man unless he is watching men in tights tackle each other.
laugh.gif

Tell the truth. Football turns you on doesnt it?

Ah never mind....a freaking moonbat

Robin DiAngelo is an academic, lecturer and author and has been a consultant and trainer on issues of racial and social justice for more than 20 years. She formerly served as a tenured professor of multicultural education at Westfield State University. She is the author of "White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism."
A Cuckology PHD bacelaureate.

Forum List

Back