Riddles

Assume all dogs are either white, brown, or black, with equal probability of each at each birth, regardless of the color of the parents.

The odds of all 3 puppies in a litter being white are 27:1.

Someone hands you a white puppy. You are asked what the odds are that his two littermates are also both white.

Answer: 19:1

This time, instead, you go into a pet store and see three occupied cages with dogs hiding under blankets. You pick one at random, and out from under the blanket comes a white puppy. What are the odds that the other two puppies are both also white?

9:1
In a couple of years when you are a bit older, you should ask the teacher to explain dominant and recessive genes.
Yes, often students will try to distract or cut jokes, when asked to answer a question. This is always a sure sign they do not understand the material.
I doubt that you are fooling too many people here.

the fact remains that when one flips a coin, there is a 50 % chance it will come up heads. If you happen to flip tails, the chance that the next one will be heads is still 50%.

Which nobody has disputed. You are adding zero new information, and you are not arguing that your incorrect answer to the riddle is correct. No, your opinion of me does not make your wrong answer correct.

Just for laughs: have a crack at the dice riddle.

Assume all dogs are either white, brown, or black, with equal probability of each at each birth, regardless of the color of the parents.

The odds of all 3 puppies in a litter being white are 27:1.

Someone hands you a white puppy. You are asked what the odds are that his two littermates are also both white.

Answer: 19:1

This time, instead, you go into a pet store and see three occupied cages with dogs hiding under blankets. You pick one at random, and out from under the blanket comes a white puppy. What are the odds that the other two puppies are both also white?

9:1
In a couple of years when you are a bit older, you should ask the teacher to explain dominant and recessive genes.
Yes, often students will try to distract or cut jokes, when asked to answer a question. This is always a sure sign they do not understand the material.
I doubt that you are fooling too many people here.

the fact remains that when one flips a coin, there is a 50 % chance it will come up heads. If you happen to flip tails, the chance that the next one will be heads is still 50%.

Which nobody has disputed. You are adding zero new information, and you are not arguing that your incorrect answer to the riddle is correct. No, your opinion of me does not make your wrong answer correct.

Just for laughs: have a crack at the dice riddle.
my answer is not incorrect.

given a 50% probability of either gender at birth and assuming there are to genders, if the first birth is a girl, her sibling can STILL only be either a boy or a girl and as we have already established a 50 probability at birth, the answer is undeniably a 50 % probability.

there would have to be three genders, not two to have a 33 % chance.

you are not a professor of anything. you are just making shit up to assuage some sort of inferiority complex.

my answer is not incorrect.
Wrong. If your answer to the riddle is not 1/3, it is incorrect.
given a 50% probability of either gender at birth and assuming there are to genders, if the first birth is a girl, her sibling can STILL only be either a boy or a girl and as we have already established a 50 probability at birth, the answer is undeniably a 50 % probability.

there would have to be three genders, not two to have a 33 % chance.
Wrong, as already explained, in depth, in this thread. That's why the riddle was posed in the first place: Because I knew so many would get it wrong. I also knew almost all of those who got it wrong would continue to insist they were correct, as these people generally won't have good mathematics or logic backgrounds. You didn't disappoint.

A 20 year old man has one sibling. Both he and his sibling are adopted. He tells you he was born on a Monday.

If he is telling the truth what are the odds the sibling is male?
6/14 + 1/21 = 140 / 294 = 70/147 about equal to 47.6%

If he is lying, what are the odds the sibling is male?
1/3 about equal to 33.3%

Here's something weird.

A 20 year old man has one sibling. Both he and his sibling are adopted. Learning his Social Security Number will decrease the likelihood of being able to correctly guess his sibling's gender.

Here's something weird.

A 20 year old man has one sibling. Both he and his sibling are adopted. Learning his Social Security Number will decrease the likelihood of being able to correctly guess his sibling's gender.
Because you'll be in federal prison?

A 20 year old man has one sibling. Both he and his sibling are adopted. He tells you he was born on a Monday.

If he is telling the truth what are the odds the sibling is male?
6/14 + 1/21 = 140 / 294 = 70/147 about equal to 47.6%
RandomPoster

I think you may have miscounted, here.

There are 27 possible permutations that include a male born on a Monday. Of these 27 permutations, 13 include two males. This yields a probability of 48.15%.

If he is lying, what are the odds the sibling is male?
1/3 about equal to 33.3%

If he is lying -- taken to mean he was NOT born on a Monday -- then there are 132 permutations that include at least one male NOT born on a monday. Of these, 48 include two males. This yields a probability of 36.36%.

For everyone else: the age of the man and the fact that he and his sibling are adopted are extraneous bits of info. This is assuming that the probability of a given gender at birth and at time of adoption are both 50%.

Last edited:
First one:

You meet a girl. She tells you she has one sibling. What are the odds her sibling is also a girl?
Let me guess the sibling is a liberal who identifies as a toaster
I'm pretty sure that's as close as you will ever get to the correct answer. So yeah, have fun with it!
Which came first, the supermarket, the truck, the farm, the chicken or the egg

Enjoy and neither chickens or eggs grow in ponds unlike your family of salamanders

Which came first, the supermarket, the truck, the farm, the chicken or the egg
Simple: the egg. Eggs appeared on Earth long before there were chickens. Got any other softball questions?
Yawn, ok I will be more specific because only retards know the answer so you clearly will.

Which came first, the supermarket, the truck, the farm, the chicken or the egg the first chicken hatched from.

Be the town retard and tell us you know

Which came first, the supermarket, the truck, the farm, the chicken or the egg the chicken hatched from.
Well, that depends. In what year did the chicken hatch?

I don't think posing riddles is a strong suit for you. Maybe you should just stop for now and try to tackle one of the riddles that has already been posted.

Which came first, the supermarket, the truck, the farm, the chicken or the egg the chicken hatched from.

I don't think posing riddles is a strong suit for you. Maybe you should just stop for now and try to tackle one of the riddles that has already been posted.
You have a glass of apple juice and a glass of water. You take a teaspoon of the apple juice and mix it into the water. Then you take a teaspoon from the water glass and mix it into the apple juice glass.

Which has more of the other liquid in it? Does the apple juice glass have more water in it or does the water glass have more apple juice in it?

Ignore the fact that the apple juice contains water for this thought experiment.

You have a glass of apple juice and a glass of water. You take a teaspoon of the apple juice and mix it into the water. Then you take a teaspoon from the water glass and mix it into the apple juice glass.

Which has more of the other liquid in it? Does the apple juice glass have more water in it or does the water glass have more apple juice in it?

Ignore the fact that the apple juice contains water for this thought experiment.

I believe they would both have the same.

Let's say they were large glasses with 100 teaspoons in each. At the end, the apple juice would contain 99 + 1/101 teaspoons of apple juice and 100/101 teaspoons of water. The glass of water would contain 99 + 1/101 teaspoons of water and 100/101 teaspoons of apple juice.

Well, trying to decide if it is a semantics riddle.

I believe they would both have the same.

Let's say they were large glasses with 100 teaspoons in each. At the end, the apple juice would contain 99 + 1/101 teaspoons of apple juice and 100/101 teaspoons of water. The glass of water would contain 99 + 1/101 teaspoons of water and 100/101 teaspoons of apple juice.
That is correct. Well done.

That’s a very nice material balance.

What if the glasses did not contain the same starting volumes? What would the answer be then?

Well, trying to decide if it is a semantics riddle.
It’s not.

While you were deciding someone else solved it.

Forum List

Back