ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
This puzzle may be looked up but in the interest of learning, testing, and examining the results, I ask everyone
not to cheat. If you have read it before, please do not respond. This is for those who have never seen the most interesting puzzle.

A prison was overcrowded and the warden decided to free one prisoner. But rather than pick one at random, he thought he would give a test. So three prisoners were brought in to the warden's office and told the following.
"In this duffel bag are five hats. Three are black and two are red. The guard behind you will select them randomly and place one on each of your heads which you cannot see nor remove. If you can tell me the color of the hat on your head, you will be released immediately from prison. But to guard against guessing, you agree that if you guess and are wrong, you will be shot immediately."

All three prisoners agree and the hats are placed on each of their heads.

First prisoner looks at the other two hats and says, "I don't know.
Second prisoner looks at the other two hats and says, "I don't know."
Third prisoner says "I know." He happens to be blind.

Does he? Explain the logic behind your answer.

After several comments, I will give the correct answer and the Lesson Within This Lesson, which is applicable to many discussions everywhere on earth.

Last edited:
This puzzle may be looked up but in the interest of learning, testing, and examining the results, I ask everyone
not to cheat. If you have read it before, please do not respond. This is for those who have never seen the most interesting puzzle.

A prison was overcrowded and the warden decided to free one prisoner. But rather than pick one at random, he thought he would give a test. So three prisoners were brought in to the warden's office and told the following.
"In this duffel bag are five hats. Three are black and two are red. The guard behind you will select them randomly and place one on each of your heads which you cannot see nor remove. If you can tell me the color of the hat on your head, you will be released immediately from prison. But to guard against guessing, you agree that if you guess and are wrong, you will be shot immediately."

After several comments, I will give the correct answer and the Lesson Within This Lesson, which is applicable to many discussions everywhere on earth.

Second Lesson* Within A Lesson (*Same Lesson as above)

Old English Riddle

As I was walking to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St Ives?

black. The other two are wearing red. With other other two, seeing only one red and one black, would not have given the answer. When he heard the other two not being able to tell what the color was, they are both not seeing black

Old English Riddle

Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Eight. The man and his seven wives.

The lesson in the lesson? The answer is not as hard as one would think...just be logical.
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
one
That's probably the right answer. No where did the narrator say the wives were going anywhere.

Changing my answer....zero.

It's a counting question.
If you count the whole with wives and cats, then is over 2,000 but this will apply better if the riddle is

I met a man with his seven wives

On the other hand, if you take the riddle as a word game and the seven wives are just part of the description of the other man's status at home, then the answer is one.

Each wife carrying seven cats with 49 kittens is a lot of weight...

It's a counting question.
If you count the whole with wives and cats, then is over 2,000 but this will apply better if the riddle is

I met a man with his seven wives

On the other hand, if you take the riddle as a word game and the seven wives are just part of the description of the other man's status at home, then the answer is one.

Each wife carrying seven cats with 49 kittens is a lot of weight...
I said one, too, but then realized the story teller says he met a man on the way. Didn't say he was going anywhere. Probably met him, then continued on his way. So it would be zero.

[
I said one, too, but then realized the story teller says he met a man on the way. Didn't say he was going anywhere. Probably met him, then continued on his way. So it would be zero.

But, the first man, the one who met the married man, he is continuing his walk to st Ives anyway, is not this man "one" going to that city?

[

But, the first man, the one who met the married man, he is continuing his walk to st Ives anyway, is not this man "one" going to that city?
Well, let's see.

Here's the riddle:
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits

I think you are right! Good for you!

Old English Riddle

Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
There are ambiguities.
One definition of "with" is
1. In the company of; accompanying
with
So the wives were probably with him.

First, how many did he meet?
If you interpret the "how many" as people, there are 8: the man + wives.

If you include all living things. There are 7 cubed + the man.
343 + 1 = 344

Were they all going in the same direction to St Ives, and the man caught up with them to meet them?
If yes, there are 344 plus the narrator = 345

If the man with 7 wives were going in the opposite direction then there was just the narrator. = 1

Next if you interpret "with" as "has" then the wives were not with him.

Then the answer is 1 or 2 depending on the direction of the man who has 7 wives.

So the answer is 345 or 1 or 2.
(If I take a nap and come back to this I may change my mind)

No he doesn’t. Prisoner one did not see two red hats. Prisoner 2 did not see two red hats. That was the only outcome of certainty. Could all the prisoners be blind? Could the warden lie about the hat. It says he only wants to release one person so the blind man might have thought he was left for last or maybe the blind man wanted to die and was willing to chance it. Nothing is as clear here as the second riddle for me.

[

Well, let's see.

Here's the riddle:
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits

I think you are right! Good for you!
Not yet, lets wait what Chem says about it. He is the one who will give the answer last and we will check if we were right.

Hope we make it.

Old English Riddle

Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits

Forum List

Back