Restaurants are adding labor surcharges to help offset minimum wage increases

There are very, very, very few people who are legitimately trying to support themselves with a minimum-wage job in a restaurant. They are predominantly second-income, part time, or temporary positions. When I was making minimum wage (as a security guard) many years ago, I sought and received all of the overtime my tired body could handle, normally working 56-60 hours per week...and looking for a better job with all of my available time. I didn't make MW for very long.

Of course, the minimum wage itself is both stupid and immoral. By what moral authority does Government come in and tell any two people that they are not permitted to enter into an agreement that both of them find totally acceptable (i.e., working for $5/hr)? The very existence of MW laws lowers peoples' expectations of what they are "worth," often causing them to accept a wage that is practically unacceptable.
"There are very, very, very few people who are legitimately trying to support themselves with a minimum-wage job in a restaurant. They are predominantly second-income, part time, or temporary positions"
do you have a link for us to document this? I didn't think so.

if you do not possess the skill to merit a decent wage then you better do something about it
Too many people cannot do anything about it.
...and? It's up to the business owner to take up the slack? You open a business and be as charitable with your money as you want, what's stopping you?
No ma'am it seems to be up to the government to pick ip the slack, and that means you and me.
For every person who does not earn a living wage, we are paying them the difference. That shouldn't be a difficult idea to comprehend
No ma'am? You really want to go down that road, boy? The government picks up the slack because idiots have given leftists too much power. Leftists only know how to solve problems via big government. They think the money will simply trickle up if they tax people more. The term living wafge is dumb and doesn't get smarter with repetition. You ignore any references to starter wages for the young and sharing expenses. Like I and previous generations have done. No one owes you a living.
Your point is, we should just leave these people out on the street to fend for themselves? We are too rich a country not to share our wealth with those who need it

people who have no ambition to better themselves do not need any help

Free markets are an abomination? Why? The communists tried to manage markets and failed with terrible results.
Whats free about a wage that you can't live on. Whats free about having to use government services to make ends meet. These corporations are paying as little as they can, knowing the US government will pick up the difference. That means its coming out of your pocket.
if one job won't pay your bills then work more than one job

no one has to take government handouts

30 million working Americans need some type of government assistance
There are not 30 million "other jobs" out there

here we go again

broken record

30 million "qualify" for government handouts

whether they "need " them or not is a different matter
and as I have said before one does not have to be hired by an employer to make extra money

I would hazard to guess that someone trying to raise a family on $20,000 a year needs additional assistance
Just as there are not 30 million "other jobs" out there, there are not 30 million small business opportunities out there

First of all why is anyone trying to raise a family on $20,000 a year? Having a family is a choice that you make. Having a family is expensive. If you're making minimum wage and you want to start a family...then you are one irresponsible person! You want a family? Improve your earning potential by learning new job skills to make more money. THEN you'll be able to afford to have a family!

Whats free about a wage that you can't live on. Whats free about having to use government services to make ends meet. These corporations are paying as little as they can, knowing the US government will pick up the difference. That means its coming out of your pocket.

here we go again

broken record

and as I have said before one does not have to be hired by an employer to make extra money

I would hazard to guess that someone trying to raise a family on $20,000 a year needs additional assistance
Just as there are not 30 million "other jobs" out there, there are not 30 million small business opportunities out there

I would suggest that if you only make 20K a year that you put off having a family until you can afford one

What if you used to make $40,000 and now are forced to accept a low paying job?
What if you were in the military when you formed your family and now find a weak employment market?

What do you do with your kids? Give them away?

here we go again

broken record

I would suggest that if you only make 20K a year that you put off having a family until you can afford one
Republican version of big government?

here we go again

broken record

First of all why is anyone trying to raise a family on $20,000 a year? Having a family is a choice that you make. Having a family is expensive. If you're making minimum wage and you want to start a family...then you are one irresponsible person! You want a family? Improve your earning potential by learning new job skills to make more money. THEN you'll be able to afford to have a family!
Who said anything about raising a family. Try to survive yourself on 15-20K

here we go again

broken record

What if you were in the military when you formed your family and now find a weak employment market?

you work 2 20K a year jobs

have your spouse get a job

move in with family

IOW you do whatever it takes

here we go again

broken record

I wouldn't know I'm not a Republican

here we go again

broken record

move in with family

How do you better yourself working 80 hours a week?

here we go again

broken record

Right whiner did

try to keep up

Not all restaurants will be adding the surcharge. If you have that much of a problem with it, eat where it isn't imposed.

If you increase labor costs to restaurants of 40% then those costs WILL get passed along to the consumer. The profit margins for the restaurant industry are far too small to absorb such a massive hit.

But why are restaurants letting it get to that point in the first place? You put up prices to go in line with what is happening around you. You can't force your workers to live below the poverty line just so you can have great profits.

What "great profits" are you talking about? The profit margins in the restaurant industry are not large. I think you have a misconception about the industry as a whole.

Yet they are making that profit off of low wage earners who have had their wages frozen for eight years
Has the restaurant frozen its prices for eight years?
Have their executives had their wages frozen for eight years?

Restaurant prices rise as costs rise..usually with a lag in which the restaurant owner absorbs the additional costs until it becomes too high and forces a price increase.

here we go again

broken record

In these times, I wouldn't refer to myself as a republican either.

here we go again

broken record

move in with family

you put in for promotions at the jobs you are working

and you still have 88 hours a week you're not working

if you do not possess the skill to merit a decent wage then you better do something about it
Too many people cannot do anything about it.
...and? It's up to the business owner to take up the slack? You open a business and be as charitable with your money as you want, what's stopping you?
No ma'am it seems to be up to the government to pick ip the slack, and that means you and me.
For every person who does not earn a living wage, we are paying them the difference. That shouldn't be a difficult idea to comprehend
No ma'am? You really want to go down that road, boy? The government picks up the slack because idiots have given leftists too much power. Leftists only know how to solve problems via big government. They think the money will simply trickle up if they tax people more. The term living wafge is dumb and doesn't get smarter with repetition. You ignore any references to starter wages for the young and sharing expenses. Like I and previous generations have done. No one owes you a living.
Your point is, we should just leave these people out on the street to fend for themselves? We are too rich a country not to share our wealth with those who need it
No, my point is you ignored all the points brought up you don't like. You neither smart nor honest and will always have a tough time making a decent wage. People like you deserve to live under a bridge. I could step over your decomposing body and never think twice about it. That's just more resources for everybody else.

here we go again

broken record

Right whiner did

try to keep up
try living just by yourself on 15-20K

here we go again

broken record

In these times, I wouldn't refer to myself as a republican either.

But I'm not and never have been
I can't help it if you can only think in 2 dimensions and you are incapable of understanding that

here we go again

broken record

Right whiner did

try to keep up
I've done it.

have you?

here we go again

broken record

Why would I try to survive on that...when I can make much more by learning additional skills to make more? Minimum wage jobs are not what ANYONE should be locked into forever. They should be a stepping stone to better paying jobs.

move in with family

you put in for promotions at the jobs you are working

and you still have 88 hours a week you're not working
some people do try to do things like eat and sleep with their free time

Right whiner did

try to keep up
I've done it.

have you?
30years ago? 40 years ago?

Forum List

Back