Rest in Peace Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of those guys had four prime years taken away because they stood up for their political principles?
You don't want to go there. Michael Loewe retired undefeated (28-0) when forced to retire because of an injury. He could have won even more fights. Ricardo Lopez retired undefeated (51-0) and was stripped of his WBO title for saying he wanted to give the belt to his father.

Terry Marsh retired undefeated (26-0) forced to retire due to epilepsy. Dimitry Pirog was undefeated (20-0) and forced to retire due to a back injury. Harry Simon was undefeated (30-0) and forced to retire from injuries from a car accident.

Edwin Valero who won ALL of his fights by a knockout, was still the WBC lightweight champion when his career ended, when he committed suicide,

Ali (Clay) was a good boxer (and one of the best), but he wasn't even close to being "the greatest'

PS -Ali could have gone into the military in a non-combat role, no ?

Will you please just... Shut. Up.
Ignore him. It will drive him crazy.

Condolences to all in the Ali family. Sad ti see a guy pass away at only 74. Nowadays that is a young age for someone to die. Look a Bernie Sanders. He's 74 and he's a bundle of energy. Same with Ringo Starr and Mick Jagger, who tour the world and dance all over stages.

Something does need to be said about this "greatest" title we keep seeing and hearing so much, though. Muhammad Ali (AKA Cassius Clay) was perhaps "the greatest" at showmanship and self-promotion. As a boxer, he was a very good one, but he was far from being the greatest at that.

He lost a few fights, and there are other boxers (Rocky Marciano, Floyd Mayweather, Joe Calzaghe, Ricardo Lopez, Sven Ottke, Edwin Valero, and others) who fought dozens of fights, and still went UNDEFEATED. Valero won all 27 of his fights, all of them by knockouts. Not fair to these guys to call Ali "the greatest".

List of undefeated boxing world champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of those guys had four prime years taken away because they stood up for their political principles?
Well why don't we look at the competition. Did any of those other fighters have as formidable opponents as Ali did? I don't think so but until that analysis is in I stand by my premise.

Ali was also the first athlete to get the money he earned and deserved. That makes him greater than not only other boxers but all the other sports figures who got scammed by managers and other middle men.

Finally, Ali's greatness coes from his flamboyance and good looks, I don't think anyone can dispute that he was best looking boxer of all time.

Lastly, Ali's flame brightened the boxing world and glowed brighter than any other before and after him. R.I.P Muhammad Ali! You were the Greatest of all time!

Now in my sig line for the foreseeable future:

"Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even."

--Muhammad Ali

Or maybe this one will suit better in unison with the truth theme in my sig line

"My way of joking is to tell the truth. That's the funniest joke in the world."

--Muhammad Ali

Yeap, that'll do nicely.

Fought his last fight with Parkinson's...
icon_frown.gif

Muhammad Ali, boxing great and cultural symbol, dead at age 74
Sat Jun 4, 2016 - Former world heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali, whose record-setting boxing career, unprecedented flair for showmanship, and controversial stands made him one of the best-known figures of the 20th century, died on Friday aged 74.
Ali's death was confirmed in a statement issued by family spokesman Bob Gunnell late Friday evening, a day after he was admitted to a Phoenix-area hospital with a respiratory ailment. The cause of death or the name of the hospital where he died were not immediately disclosed. Ali had long suffered from Parkinson's syndrome, which impaired his speech and made the once-graceful athlete almost a prisoner in his own body. Even so, Ali's youthful proclamation of himself as "the greatest" rang true until the end for the millions of people worldwide who admired him for his courage both inside and outside the ring. "A part of me slipped away, the greatest piece," George Foreman, a former heavyweight boxer and one of Ali's most formidable opponents in the ring, said on Twitter after the news of Ali's death.

Roy Jones Jr., a former champion boxer who grew up during Ali's prime, also said in a Tweet: "My heart is deeply saddened yet both appreciative and relieved that the greatest is now resting in the greatest place." Few could argue with his athletic prowess at his peak in the 1960s. With his dancing feet and quick fists, he could - as he put it - float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. He was the first person to win the heavyweight championship three times. But Ali became much more than a colorful and interesting athlete. He spoke boldly against racism in the '60s, as well as the Vietnam War. During and after his championship reign, Ali met scores of world leaders and for a time he was considered the most recognizable person on earth, known even in remote villages far from the United States.

r

Muhammad Ali poses with his boxing gloves.​

Ali's diagnosis of Parkinson's came about three years after he retired from boxing in 1981. His influence extended far beyond boxing. He became the unofficial spokesman for millions of blacks and oppressed people around the world because of his refusal to compromise his opinions and stand up to white authorities. In a realm where athletes often battle inarticulateness as well as their opponents, Ali was known as the Louisville Lip and loved to talk, especially about himself. "Humble people, I've found, don't get very far," he once told a reporter. His taunts could be brutal. "Joe Frazier is so ugly that when he cries, the tears turn around and go down the back of his head," he once said. He also dubbed Frazier a 'gorilla' but later apologized and said it was all to promote the fight.

Once asked about his preferred legacy, Ali said: "I would like to be remembered as a man who won the heavyweight title three times, who was humorous and who treated everyone right. As a man who never looked down on those who looked up to him ... who stood up for his beliefs ... who tried to unite all humankind through faith and love. "And if all that's too much, then I guess I'd settle for being remembered only as a great boxer who became a leader and a champion of his people. And I wouldn't even mind if folks forgot how pretty I was." Ali was born in Louisville, Kentucky, on Jan. 17, 1942, as Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr., a name shared with a 19th century slavery abolitionist. He changed his name after his conversion to Islam. Ali is survived by his wife, the former Lonnie Williams, who knew him when she was a child in Louisville, along with his nine children.

Muhammad Ali, boxing great and cultural symbol, dead at age 74

See also:

Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Dies at 74
June 04, 2016 | WASHINGTON — Born Cassius Clay, former world heavyweight champion died late Friday after a more than 30-year battle with Parkinson's disease; he was 74
Boxing legend Muhammad Ali has passed away after a more than 30-year battle with Parkinson's disease. He was 74. The former world heavyweight boxing champion had been admitted to a hospital in Phoenix, Arizona, and was fighting respiratory issues that were complicated by the Parkinson's disease. Doctors say the Parkinson's likely was caused by the thousands of punches Ali took during his career as a boxer. Ali, both beloved and controversial, so dominated professional boxing that Sports Illustrated magazine named him Sportsman of the 20th Century. Known for his boasting, passion and way with words, he famously said he could “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." The son of a Kentucky painter took up boxing after neighborhood bullies stole his bicycle. His trainer said the boy, then known as Cassius Clay, grew to mix raw talent with determination. In 1964, Clay shocked overwhelming favorite Sonny Liston to win his first world heavyweight title.

Fists and words

Washington Post newspaper sports columnist Mike Wise said the confident boxing great continued to dominate, fighting with both his fists and his words. "He was probably the first guy, the first athlete in America, to brag about something and back it up. Nobody boasted in those days," Wise said. After that fight, Clay, who had joined the nation of Islam, changed his name to one that is revered around the world -- Muhammad Ali. Three years later, he was vilified for refusing the U.S. Army draft based on his religious beliefs and his opposition to the Vietnam War. Ali was convicted of draft evasion and stripped of his title, keeping him out of the ring for three years until the Supreme Court overturned his conviction in 1970. Just months after returning to the ring, new heavyweight champ Smokin' Joe Frazier dealt Ali his first professional loss. But Ali later took his revenge against Frazier and won their second fight. Another classic bout for Ali was against George Foreman. Ali and Foreman took their 1974 championship fight to the former Zaire, in a remote part of central Africa.

'Rumble,' 'Thrilla'

It was a boxing match immortalized as the "Rumble in the Jungle." "I have wrestled with an alligator. I have tussled with a whale, handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail. Bad, ain't I?" Ali said. "Only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick. Bad, fast!" The Post's Wise said, "... And for him to employ what people still think today was one of the most amazing strategies -- act like you're tired, let the big guy punch himself out -- and then all of a sudden galvanize yourself and find a way to knock him out in the eighth round. That was still probably the most triumphant moment in boxing history." Ali then met Frazier in their third and final clash. It was late 1975 in the Philippines, dubbed "The Thrilla in Manila." Ali endured 14 brutal rounds before emerging victorious. The athlete retired from boxing in 1981 with a 56-5 record, including 37 knockouts.

Raised money for treatment

Ali's last public appearance was in April at the "Celebrity Fight Night" dinner in Phoenix, which raises funds for the treatment of Parkinson's. The boxer has kept a low profile recently, and has not spoken in public for years. Ali, who lived in Phoenix until his death late Friday, had been hospitalized several times in recent years, most recently in early 2015 after suffering from a severe urinary tract infection. The athlete lit the Olympic torch in Atlanta in 1996, despite trembling from Parkinson's disease. In 2005, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest U.S. civilian honor. News of Ali's hospitalization brought concern from friends and admirers, including fellow boxer Sugar Ray Leonard. "Prayers & blessings to my idol, my friend, & without question, the Greatest of All Time!" Leonard tweeted. A funeral will be held in Ali's hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. Ali, married four times, had nine children. "Muhammad Ali was beloved. There was a heart component that I don't think anybody will ever touch," Wise said.

Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Dies at 74

I never liked Ali, I always felt he was arrogant, rude, obnoxious and conceited. Everybody claims he was the greatest boxer ever... I don't think he was even in the top 5. His most famous boxing strategy was the "rope-a-dope" where he basically "cheated" to win. He laid back into the ropes and let his opponent punch himself out instead of standing up and fighting like a real boxer. It was apropos that he dodged the draft by claiming he was Muslim... again, cheating to win. I just never had any respect for the man and didn't like him as a person.

Of all the deaths that have happened in 2016, his saddens me the least.

A legend has died. Let's leave politics alone. R.I.P. Muhammad Ali.
I didn't start it. The namby pamby social justice warriors peeked out of their safe space to try to force the rest of us on what we are permitted to say. Fuck them. Address your complaint to them. There was nothing wrong in what I wrote.

You show respect for the man by calling him by the name he gave himself. By using the other name, you are disrespecting him, and if anyone deserves respect at this time it is Muhammed Ali. He was more than an athlete, he was a good man.

You show respect for the man by calling him by the name he gave himself. By using the other name, you are disrespecting him, and if anyone deserves respect at this time it is Muhammed Ali. He was more than an athlete, he was a good man.
I'd say abandoning an American (and Christian) name to adopt a Muslim one, most certainly DOES deserve disrespect. You give respect where it is due. You give disrespect where IT is due.

I also don't think dodging military service deserves respect, and neither does calling yourself the greatest, when you're not.

I'd say abandoning an American (and Christian) name to adopt a Muslim one, most certainly DOES deserve disrespect. You give respect where it is due. You give disrespect where IT is due.

I also don't think dodging military service deserves respect, and neither does calling yourself the greatest, when you're not.
:trolls:

To me Muhammad Ali much like JFK, MLK and the Beatles, was one of those "bigger than life" personalities back when my youth allowed such influences in which a select few made it past mere celebrity.

Well why don't we look at the competition. Did any of those other fighters have as formidable opponents as Ali did? I don't think so but until that analysis is in I stand by my premise.

Ali was also the first athlete to get the money he earned and deserved. That makes him greater than not only other boxers but all the other sports figures who got scammed by managers and other middle men.

Finally, Ali's greatness coes from his flamboyance and good looks, I don't think anyone can dispute that he was best looking boxer of all time.

Lastly, Ali's flame brightened the boxing world and glowed brighter than any other before and after him. R.I.P Muhammad Ali! You were the Greatest of all time!
LOL. This is too dumb for response, but I couldn't help myself.

So how much money you receive is what makes you great ? LOL. Nah. I won't even bother with that.
geez.gif

So, did the other fighters have as formidable opponent as Ali ? YES, they did. So you can forget trying to slip that flimsy excuse by us.

And Ali's looks make him "great" ? Whaaat ? Pheeeew!! (high-pitched whistle) I wasn't aware this was a beauty contest too.
wtf20.gif

I wonder what the REALLY GREATEST boxers must be thinking reading jibberish like this.

Anybody that would use ESPN as a source for gauging sports figures is just showing their ignorance. ESPN is a big business operation that is clueless about the subject it makes money from. They did a list of what they called the greatest baseball players of all time. The listed Barry Bonds (a steroid player) as their # 3. HA HA HA. Can you believe how dumb they are ?

EARTH TO ESPN: Steroid players DON'T HAVE performance records. The only records they have is what teams they played for, the dates, and what position they played in the field. Sheeeesh!!

You don't want to go there. Michael Loewe retired undefeated (28-0) when forced to retire because of an injury. He could have won even more fights. Ricardo Lopez retired undefeated (51-0) and was stripped of his WBO title for saying he wanted to give the belt to his father.

Terry Marsh retired undefeated (26-0) forced to retire due to epilepsy. Dimitry Pirog was undefeated (20-0) and forced to retire due to a back injury. Harry Simon was undefeated (30-0) and forced to retire from injuries from a car accident.

Edwin Valero who won ALL of his fights by a knockout, was still the WBC lightweight champion when his career ended, when he committed suicide,

Ali (Clay) was a good boxer (and one of the best), but he wasn't even close to being "the greatest'

PS -Ali could have gone into the military in a non-combat role, no ?

1) Michael Loewe (Born 1969, Welterweight) never fought Ali.

2) Ricardo Lopez (Born 1966, Light flyweight, Minimumweight) never fought Ali.

3) Terry Marsh (Born 1958, Light Welterweight) never fought Ali.

4) Harry Simon (Born 1971, Middleweight, Super middleweight, Light heavyweight, Light middleweight) never fought Ali.

5) Dimitry Pirog (Born 1980, Middleweight) never fought Ali.

6) Edwin Valero (Born 1981, Lightweight, Super featherweight) never fought Ali.

Because ALL of them were A) Born before, at, near or after the peak of Ali's boxing career, and B) never fought a heavyweight bout in their careers.

Sit down liar. You've been TKO'd.

Last edited:
Anybody that would use ESPN as a source for gauging sports figures is just showing their ignorance. ESPN is a big business operation that is clueless about the subject it makes money from. They did a list of what they called the greatest baseball players of all time. The listed Barry Bonds (a steroid player) as their # 3. HA HA HA. Can you believe how dumb they are ?

EARTH TO ESPN: Steroid players DON'T HAVE performance records. The only records they have is what teams they played for, the dates, and what position they played in the field. Sheeeesh!!

Sorry if that conflicts with your white superiority complex. Ali was the greatest, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back