Republicans Surging Back

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
The upcoming elections are shaping up to be significant victories for Republicans.

As of now, in the race for governor in both New Jersey and Virginia, the Republican candidates are dominating. Countrywide/AIG Chris Dodd is behind in recent polling. Arlon Specter is in a virtual dead heat tie with his Republican counterpart. Even California liberal Democrat stalward Barbara Boxer is facing tough Republican opposition. Over 60% polled dissaprove of the Democrat controlled Congress.

On the generic polling ballot, Republicans now hold a 5-point margin over Democrats - the highest mark in years.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Direction of Country

Generic Congressional Ballot - Rasmussen Reports™

As of now, in the race for governor in both New Jersey and Virginia, the Republican candidates are dominating.

Do you believe ALL of the lies you tell? Creigh Deeds (D) is leading Bob McDonell (R) in VA.

Republicans don't have a prayer. Their strategy of voting NO on everything and hoping for an economic collapse is backfiring. The economy is showing signs of reversing. By 2010 elections, the economy will be recovering, healthcare will be passed and troops will be pulling out of Iraq.

hmmm.. Deeds is leading where?

Polling

[edit] Deeds (D) vs. McDonnell (R)
Source Dates Administered Creigh Deeds (D) Bob McDonnell (R)
Public Policy Polling July 31-August 3, 2009 37% 51%
Survey USA July 27-28, 2009 40% 55%
Rasmussen Reports July 14, 2009 41% 44%
Public Policy Polling June 30-July 2, 2009 43% 49%
Research 2000 June 15-17, 2009 44% 45%
ALR June 10-14, 2009 42% 38%
Rasmussen Reports June 10, 2009 47% 41%
Survey USA June 5-June 7, 2009 43% 47%
Survey USA May 31-June 2, 2009 43% 44%
Research 2000 May 18-20, 2009 32% 45%
Survey USA May 17-19, 2009 40% 46%
Survey USA April 27, 2009 39% 44%
Rasmussen Reports April 15, 2009 30% 45%
Research 2000 April 6-8, 2009 31% 38%
Rasmussen Reports February 4, 2009 30% 39%
Rasmussen Reports December 4, 2008 39% 39%
Public Policy Polling June 14-16, 2008 27%

Virginia gubernatorial election, 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Republicans don't have a prayer. Their strategy of voting NO on everything and hoping for an economic collapse is backfiring. The economy is showing signs of reversing. By 2010 elections, the economy will be recovering, healthcare will be passed and troops will be pulling out of Iraq.

I'm sure glad Bush negotiated that troop withdrawal prior to his term in office expiring.

Still awaiting your apology...

Which you deserve, and I hereby humbly submit. I honestly had no idea McDonnell any chance here in VA. My apologies.

Thank you sir! Not only does he have a chance, he is dominating his Democrat opponent.

The tide does appear to be turning in favor of the Republicans - or at least, not so much against them. Of course, given the Republican's track record, they could easily screw up and lose this momentum by the elections...

Of course, given the Republican's track record, they could easily screw up and lose this momentum by the elections...

Here is what I don't get....McDonnell is offering nothing new. I attended one of his campaign stops and he offered NOTHING. He and his fellow local GOPers spent the evening doing nothing except bash Obama. THIS is why I made the assumption that he had no chance. Why would anyone vote for a candidate that brings nothing to the table and bases his entire campaign on bashing the President of the United States, who, by the way, he is NOT running against?

Of course, given the Republican's track record, they could easily screw up and lose this momentum by the elections...

Here is what I don't get....McDonnell is offering nothing new. I attended one of his campaign stops and he offered NOTHING. He and his fellow local GOPers spent the evening doing nothing except bash Obama. THIS is why I made the assumption that he had no chance. Why would anyone vote for a candidate that brings nothing to the table and bases his entire campaign on bashing the President of the United States, who, by the way, he is NOT running against?

Because it worked so well for the Dems when Bush was in office - it is a common political tactic.

Obama simply repeated - with ample help from the mainstream media, that McCain was simply more Bush - he added some generic Hope n Change rhetoric that said little to nothing in the way of specifics, and then won, as did a number of other Dems.

Now with Obama's popularity falling, and the Democrat Congress falling even further, it is simple politics to simply state you are not them - and that will be enough for a great many voters.

Such victories are only short-term though unless actual leaders step forward, and of yet, the Republicans have not done that - though the recent gains being made in the national polls and various upcoming bellwether elections, is startling given the lofty heights of Obamamania just a few short months ago...

Obama simply repeated - with ample help from the mainstream media, that McCain was simply more Bush - he added some generic Hope n Change rhetoric that said little to nothing in the way of specifics, and then won, as did a number of other Dems.

People like me, who had never voted for a Democrat prior to voting for Obama were also simply fed up with not only Bush, but the Republicans in Congress who were SUPPOSED to be fiscally responsible, but acted more like liberals for the past 8 years with our money.

Last edited:

People like me, who had never voted for a Democrat prior to voting for Obama were also simply fed up with not only Bush, but the Republicans in Congress who were SUPPOSED to be fiscally responsible, but acted more like liberals for the past 8 years with our money.

So you must be several times more upset with Obama and Co. who, within a handful of months, have dwarfed the spending imposed by Bush and Co.

I have heard similar confessions from those like you professing to never have voted Democrat before "until Obama" - but if they disliked the inherent liberalism of the Democrats before - what in God's name did Obama offer that was nothing if not MORE of that same distasteful liberalism?

The answer is nothing - except the color of his skin of course...

As of now, in the race for governor in both New Jersey and Virginia, the Republican candidates are dominating.

Do you believe ALL of the lies you tell? Creigh Deeds (D) is leading Bob McDonell (R) in VA.

What poll are you referencing?

The RCP average as of yesterday has McDonnell leading Deeds by more than a 10-point margin...

RealClearPolitics - Election 2009 - Virginia Governor - McDonnell vs. Deeds

Feel free to apologize...
interesting that rasmussen, the alledged GOP pollster, has it closer than the others

Voting no to the destruction of our country is a positive. In case you missed it.

Oh, BTW. Congress does not need the GOP at all. Why not just vote on the bills and enact them. Why are the Dem's hesitating?

yeah bashing bush and nothing new was the demos mantra in the elections two years prior to bushs exit and the last election as well; they continue to this day to do the same thing while trying to force Americans into their commie scams

To be fair, they aren't really his lies, he simply posts the Con talking points on a daily basis.

Forum List

Back