Republicans offer tax deal to break debt impasse; Democrats dismiss it

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
*shrugs*. The Wash. Post created the title, I didn’t, but it appears apt.
I think its time that a few facts are acknowledged as the ‘super’ committee gets closer to not doing what its charged with doing ( note that this comm.. started out s a dem. idea waaaaay back, was dropped, then McConnell stole it and ran with it, I never thought it a good idea in any event, we already have a ‘super ‘ –comm.. , its called congress).

Facts-

-There has been no budget approved and implemented by congress in over 1000 days, that’s just short of 3 years, despite the 1974 process which had been here to fore followed.
- a budget was proposed, voted upon and passed by the house in August, no action in the senate.

The process has gone so far down the rabbit hole;

New legislation co-sponsored by Sens. Ben Cardin (D., Md.) and Kelly Ayotte (R., N.H.) would go one step further. The Washington Post reports:

This is how badly broken Congress’s budget process has become: A Democrat and a Republican in the Senate have jointly proposed the radical idea that if Congress can’t come up with a budget by April 15 — a legal deadline now routinely blown — the national legislature would simply shut down.No other bills would be considered.

No post offices named, no judges confirmed. Congress wouldn’t even be able to abandon Washington and go home on recess.

“It’d be a pretty good incentive to get things done,” said Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin (D-Md.), who is sponsoring the bill with Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.).

Unreal.

- 22 plans for job creation/sppt./ activity have been passed, many WITH bi-partisan sppt. in the House over the last 2 months, no action in the senate

Which brings me to the latest, and the real subject of the thread, there was someone yelling uncle ( to an extent) yesterday.

You can read the Wapo story here, http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rter/2011/11/08/gIQAJ6Xa1M_story.html?hpid=z4, which though is short on grind it out specifics, some of whose points need to be made and recognized;

- The offer was to raise revenues by 500 Billion, a major sea change in the GOP stance

- There would be a myriad of deduction eliminations in exchange for a drop in rates, i.e.; individual rates drop from 35% to 28%, capital gains and dividends stay at 15% and the 35% estate tax would remain as is.

- This was the here to fore magic elixir that members of both parties said they would sppt. as the most even handed way of getting some growth going by flattening thereby expanding the base, which improves the share of fed GDP revenue by upping the size of that share in real dollars.

- After hearing the proposal the Dems demanded that these tax changes also be statically scored—which assumes no revenue gains from economic growth, please pause for a moment and consider what that means.

- The cuts offered by the dems. equal less than $1 per $1.50 of revenue gain. This is below by a factor of 2, what the Bowles-Simpson commission proposed and frankly, is not even a serious counter-proposal, and- entitlements are off the table, as is the ObamaCare 3.8% payroll increase next year.

This is a significant concession, no matter which way you slice it ( one I am not totally on board with either).

I think the reps are scared of the cuts that will have to go into effect if no deal is done and, being cast as the folks who won’t bend to any compromise what so ever.
I am happy to see the Washington Post at least acknowledges that this is not so at least, in this case.

If the dems don’t come back with some more cuts; like the drivers of the car that is taking us over the cliff- entitlements, they aren’t for real and perhaps they are set on making Obamas charges of the ‘do nothing congress’, no matter how ridiculous as one wing of congress is democratic, , appear true.

Last edited:
If the dems don’t come back with some more cuts; like the drivers of the car that is taking us over the cliff- entitlements, they aren’t for real and perhaps they are set on making Obamas charges of the ‘do nothing congress’, no matter how ridiculous as one wing of congress is democratic, , appear true.
This is what I've been reading is the Democrats and Obama's angle on it. Fuck the economy and the American people, we need to get re-elected.

Kind of begs the question why Barry's nose doesn't start growing when he stands up on stage these days and says he can't "wait for Congress to act"?

Congress HAS acted on 22 bills and Harry Reid is sitting on them in the Senate. So why isn't President Obama telling the Democrats over there, that the country can't wait for them to act?

Oh, that's right...I keep forgetting. With this President if you don't do what "he" wants then America can't wait...but conversely, if you do something that he doesn't want...then America gets to wait a real long time. If it's a bill "he'd" like to see passed then it's an emergency. If it's a bill he doesn't support then there's no hurry at all.

Kind of begs the question why Barry's nose doesn't start growing when he stands up on stage these days and says he can't "wait for Congress to act"?

Congress HAS acted on 22 bills and Harry Reid is sitting on them in the Senate. So why isn't President Obama telling the Democrats over there, that the country can't wait for them to act?

Oh, that's right...I keep forgetting. With this President if you don't do what "he" wants then America can't wait...but conversely, if you do something that he doesn't want...then America gets to wait a real long time. If it's a bill "he'd" like to see passed then it's an emergency. If it's a bill he doesn't support then there's no hurry at all.

It's not the president's job to pull the Reps' asses out of the fire. If they'd bargained honestly, they wouldn't be in the position of watching all their gains go down the drain.

Without question, Barack Obama has become the most polarizing President in the history of this country.

He took the mandate he got from the electorate in 2008 and used it to tell the Republicans to go wait in the hall while he had Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid write legislation for health care reform and how we should spend the stimulus, famously telling Eric Cantor that "elections have consequences".

Funny thing though...when the mid-term election came around in 2010 and the Democrats took a savage beating? All of a sudden elections didn't seem to have the same consequences as they did two years earlier. After being sent a clear message from the voters that they were not happy with what the Democrats had done with their super majorities and the presidency, Obama's response seemed to be...'we know best...the American people just don't understand the situation...so we (the Dems) will do what's best for them.'

It's not the president's job to pull the Reps' asses out of the fire. If they'd bargained honestly, they wouldn't be in the position of watching all their gains go down the drain.

The President's "job" is to pull America's ass out of the fire. It isn't to shove a progressive agenda down the electorate's throats while ignoring unemployment and the economy. If you'll recall there was no bargaining done by this Administration when they first took office. They basically laughed at the Republicans and told them to go pound sand while they passed some very liberal pieces of legislation. It wasn't until the American people sent a loud and clear message that they were unhappy about the course the Democrats were setting for the country by voting out Democrats in record breaking numbers that Obama even ATTEMPTED to "bargain".

Just as a piece of advice? If ever want to reach a compromise with someone? It usually helps if you don't start out by telling them their views don't count and for them to shut up and go wait in the hall. Hard to "bargain" with someone down the road who now hates your guts.

Forum List

Back