Republicans gear up in "War on Christmas"

I got chewed out by a grumpy old lady at our Kennel Club Christmas Party because I wished her "Happy Holidays" as she was leaving. She gave me a stoney glare and said "It's Merry Christmas" then shuffled out.

I stuck my tongue out at her back.
:lol: She must be full of God's love.

One thing that gets overlooked is the fact that when there is an issue about what one can say during the Christmas holidays, is that the ones who are making it an issue are the Atheists, or those people who don't like a "Christian" greeting. It is not the Christians who are making an issue. You gotta understand that Christmas is an American tradition. It is a religious and a secular holiday.

So, when there are battles, it is usually started by non-Christians. If there is a war, it is because the Atheists or non-Christians have declared it, or attacked in such a way that defense is necessary.

I really don't care what others say in their greetings. I just automatically say "Merry Christmas." I appreciater any greeting.

The only bitching I have heard is from certain Christians who annually proclaim there is a "war on Christmas". I haven't heard a peep from "athiests".

If I were to make a guess, people are tending to use "Happy Holidays" because we've become a much more multi-cultural society with multiple holidays celebrated around the same time and they are just trying to be sensitive to different people. I use Merry Christmas, A Soalin, Happy Holidays all enterchangeably.

What matters is the sentiment, not the religion.

Somehow....I can't help wondering why that is such a bad thing?:eusa_eh:

I haven't read this whole thread thry but for many Americans, this is a religious holiday AND a secukar one. I have many Jewish friends who enjoy my CHRISTMAS cards and greetings. Its the radical atheists who have waged the "war" and yes, they would like it eliminated. For what reasob - is beyond me.

I can't post the link right now but I'm suprised someone hasn't mentioned the hater who has a display of Jesus shooting Santa. Why do atheists hate childreb?

What radical atheists are trying to eliminate Christmas? I haven't seen any, and the more I hear people cringing about it that more I think it's a massive straw man made by bitter conservatives.

Its a slight word trick to eliminate something that someone finds offensive since it celebrates a christian holiday. I know the excuse is given that it is to be inclusive and diverse but I can't think of another time of year where other faiths might celebrate their faith's holidays but have to say Happy Holiday(s) in order to be include other people's faith. The burden is being placed on christians to take the meaning out of their holiday in order to encompass everyone elses other faiths don't have to do this for some reason.

Who HAS to say "Happy Holidays"? There is NO law stating that. Nor, in my workplace at least is there any sort of rule stating that must be so.

So WHO?

One thing that gets overlooked is the fact that when there is an issue about what one can say during the Christmas holidays, is that the ones who are making it an issue are the Atheists, or those people who don't like a "Christian" greeting. It is not the Christians who are making an issue. You gotta understand that Christmas is an American tradition. It is a religious and a secular holiday.

So, when there are battles, it is usually started by non-Christians. If there is a war, it is because the Atheists or non-Christians have declared it, or attacked in such a way that defense is necessary.

I really don't care what others say in their greetings. I just automatically say "Merry Christmas." I appreciater any greeting.

I beg to differ

It seems to be the Christians with the "Reason for the Season" and "Put Christ back in Christmas" campaigns. I'm an atheist and am cool with any way you want to celebrate the holiday. I do resent it when someone tells me what the Christmas holiday has to mean. If you are Jewish, I imagine you resented your Children being taught Christian songs in school. Public Schools used to have Nativity plays as part of the Christmas pagent and all children had to attend. Public Schools should not be pushing any religion.....even if a majority of students belong to that religion

Why would it be a problem being taught to sing Christian Christmas Carols at the appropriate time of year? I have no issue with the holiday traditions, including music of any religious faiths being introduced in schools at the appropriate times of year - if fosters a greater understanding and appreciation for our differences as well as our commonalities. As long as it's not done as religious indoctrination - why make a fuss?

Who gives a shit? Why not say what ever greeting you want, celebrate what you want, have a good time and quit playing victim and trying to ram it down everyone's throat?

Geez. Only the Christian Right has it's knickers in such a knot that they feel the need to proclaim a fictitious "War" on a holiday that 98% of the population (all "victims") celebrate.

There is no legislation saying you aren't allowed to say "Merry Christmas" so get a grip on reality and quit listening to spin.

In one part of your sentence you say go ahead and say whatever you want which I assume you mean that anyone can say Happy holidays, Happy Hanakah, or Merry Christmas depending on what religion you participate in but then in the same sentence you get upset if people actually do say whatever they want when they say "merry Christmas".

Where'd you get that idea? I have absolutely no problem with "Merry Christmas" and say it myself. I DO have a problem with the so-called Christian Right Victims bemoaning a fictitious war on Christmas every year and trying to ram their views down my throat with silly legislation.

It is true that there is no legislation that says you can't say Merry Christmas but you seem to be upset with one particular religion claiming ownership of their holiday.

It's not just "their holiday". They don't "own" it. No one does. In fact 90 percent of their myth and ritual comes from other religions.

Do you get your panties in a wad if someone wished you Happy Hanakah or Merry <islamic holiday here>? I'm trying to figure out why you have selective indignant rage towards one particular religion.

Of course not. But then again - I don't mind one iota if they say Merry Christmas, so what's your point here?

Its no different than a cop who believes that everyone should be held accountable to speed limit law but seems only to pull over people who are black.
[/QUOTE]

It is a christian holiday because the people who practice the faith celebrate it in their churches and people that say it ain't usually don't attend and do not practice the same faith so who are these people, who do not participate in the faith, to say that they can't own their holdiday that they create? Do I have a right to say to a muslim that they can't claim whatever traditiions they practice? Of course not because it is their faith to practice as they see fit and claim it as their own because they do practice it. The same goes for any other religions because outsiders don't have a right to say to them that their practices are not their own since those outsiders don't even participate with them.

The goal for people like yourself to say that it is not a christian holiday is to strip it of all christian practices and turn it into a non-religious holiday in order to remove religion from society completely.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back