Republicans gear up in "War on Christmas"

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
IMO, this is just too fucking stupid for words. A Resolution by House Republicans:
Whereas Christmas is a national holiday celebrated on December 25; and
Whereas the Framers intended that the First Amendment of the Constitution, in prohibiting the establishment of religion, would not prohibit any mention of religion or reference to God in civic dialog: Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
(1) recognizes the importance of the symbols and traditions of Christmas;
(2) strongly disapproves of attempts to ban references to Christmas; and
(3) expresses support for the use of these symbols and traditions by those who celebrate Christmas.

The Washington Monthly

I understand the need for this, someone from the Arlington County government broke into my house and removed my Christmas Tree last night

Let's not be too hasty when we make fun of this "War on Christmas" thing. To me, it's the only thing Congress has attempted in the last 9 months that had even the slightest bit of intelligence to it.

IMO, this is just too fucking stupid for words. A Resolution by House Republicans:
Whereas the Framers intended that the First Amendment of the Constitution, in prohibiting the establishment of religion, would not prohibit any mention of religion or reference to God in civic dialog: Now, therefore, be it
(3) expresses support for the use of these symbols and traditions by those who celebrate Christmas.

The Washington Monthly

We wont give them healthcare reform but by god we will protect Santa Claus!!!!!

Why am I not surprised that the Republicans in Congress care more about a damn word than the lives of millions of Americans when it comes to Health Care.

It's things like this is why I could never become a Republican.

The Washington Monthly

We wont give them healthcare reform but by god we will protect Santa Claus!!!!!

Santa = Capitalism and profit.
btw the current invocation of Santa is from Coca Cola ads early last century.
How could anything be more sacred to a capitalist?

Let's not be too hasty when we make fun of this "War on Christmas" thing. To me, it's the only thing Congress has attempted in the last 9 months that had even the slightest bit of intelligence to it.

If we could limit the congress to taking actions such as this instead big sweeping reform bills, we would be better off.
We should elect people who pledge not to pass any new legislation.
Of course that would mean we all would have to take responsibility for ourselves and our own lives........

We need a constitutional ammendemnt that states:
For any new law passed by congress one old law shall be abolished.

If we could limit the congress to taking actions such as this instead big sweeping reform bills, we would be better off.
Of course that would mean we all would have to take responsibility for ourselves and our own lives........

Hope no wars break out then or no major issues. Goodness knows how war will be declared since it needs Congress's approval.

Sorry Slack, but in that case, the idea of "no new legislation" is a stupid one. It has nothing to do with responsibility for ourselves in that case.

Hope no wars break out then or no major issues. Goodness knows how war will be declared since it needs Congress's approval.

Sorry Slack, but in that case, the idea of "no new legislation" is a stupid one. It has nothing to do with responsibility for ourselves in that case.

I respectfully disagree. Why should we depend on the federal government to save us from every "major issue".
We have had a standing army for well over a hundred years, they can and do deal with wars.
Limit the Federal government and return that power to the states. If we do that we regain freedom for ourselves, but that does mean we have to take responsibility for ourselves.
Funny how that works, that responsibility = freedom equation.
Sorry, I strongly, but respectfully disagree.

I always enjoy the "War on Christmas" Season. Righties going all PC on us. Using the term "Merry Christmas" as a verbal weapon. Watching people have hissy fits because someone had the NERVE to say "Happy Holidays."

Ah...the memories.

U.S. Muslims view holiday resolution as sign of acceptance | Christian Century | Find Articles at BNET

hey look.........

U.S. Muslims are welcoming a congressional resolution commemorating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan as an important, if symbolic, sign that they are gaining acceptance in America.

Still, conservative critics say the resolution is an exercise in political correctness.

Congress regularly passes resolutions commemorating holidays such as Christmas, Kwanzaa and Hanukkah. But the vote on October 2 marked the first time that Congress had passed a resolution recognizing Ramadan, which ended October 12 this year.

The resolution was introduced by Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson (D., Tex.) and cosponsored by 30 other representatives, including Keith Ellison (D., Minn.), Congress's first elected Muslim.

U.S. Muslims view holiday resolution as sign of acceptance | Christian Century | Find Articles at BNET

hey look.........

U.S. Muslims are welcoming a congressional resolution commemorating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan as an important, if symbolic, sign that they are gaining acceptance in America.

Still, conservative critics say the resolution is an exercise in political correctness.

Congress regularly passes resolutions commemorating holidays such as Christmas, Kwanzaa and Hanukkah. But the vote on October 2 marked the first time that Congress had passed a resolution recognizing Ramadan, which ended October 12 this year.

The resolution was introduced by Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson (D., Tex.) and cosponsored by 30 other representatives, including Keith Ellison (D., Minn.), Congress's first elected Muslim.
Two wrongs make a right? :lol:

Forum List

Back