Republicans gear up in "War on Christmas"

I got chewed out by a grumpy old lady at our Kennel Club Christmas Party because I wished her "Happy Holidays" as she was leaving. She gave me a stoney glare and said "It's Merry Christmas" then shuffled out.

I stuck my tongue out at her back.

Is it that hard to just say thank-you?

What other holiday exist on Christmas that 98% of this country participates in some way? To say that those that wish Christmas to be a celebration of one holiday is "mean" is like saying to those that don't say Happy Holidays on Hanokah is also "mean". No one ever insist that we say Happy Holidays around other religious holidays that Jews, Muslims, Pageans, and other non-christian celebrate but the minute a christian wants to posses their own holiday and its meaning then it is not "mean".

Once again the target of diversification is christianity and nothing else.

Who gives a shit? Why not say what ever greeting you want, celebrate what you want, have a good time and quit playing victim and trying to ram it down everyone's throat?

Geez. Only the Christian Right has it's knickers in such a knot that they feel the need to proclaim a fictitious "War" on a holiday that 98% of the population (all "victims") celebrate.

There is no legislation saying you aren't allowed to say "Merry Christmas" so get a grip on reality and quit listening to spin.

In one part of your sentence you say go ahead and say whatever you want which I assume you mean that anyone can say Happy holidays, Happy Hanakah, or Merry Christmas depending on what religion you participate in but then in the same sentence you get upset if people actually do say whatever they want when they say "merry Christmas".

It is true that there is no legislation that says you can't say Merry Christmas but you seem to be upset with one particular religion claiming ownership of their holiday. Do you get your panties in a wad if someone wished you Happy Hanakah or Merry <islamic holiday here>? I'm trying to figure out why you have selective indignant rage towards one particular religion.

Its no different than a cop who believes that everyone should be held accountable to speed limit law but seems only to pull over people who are black.

What other holiday exist on Christmas that 98% of this country participates in some way? To say that those that wish Christmas to be a celebration of one holiday is "mean" is like saying to those that don't say Happy Holidays on Hanokah is also "mean". No one ever insist that we say Happy Holidays around other religious holidays that Jews, Muslims, Pageans, and other non-christian celebrate but the minute a christian wants to posses their own holiday and its meaning then it is not "mean".

Who gives a shit? Why not say what ever greeting you want, celebrate what you want, have a good time and quit playing victim and trying to ram it down everyone's throat?

Geez. Only the Christian Right has it's knickers in such a knot that they feel the need to proclaim a fictitious "War" on a holiday that 98% of the population (all "victims") celebrate.

There is no legislation saying you aren't allowed to say "Merry Christmas" so get a grip on reality and quit listening to spin.

In one part of your sentence you say go ahead and say whatever you want which I assume you mean that anyone can say Happy holidays, Happy Hanakah, or Merry Christmas depending on what religion you participate in but then in the same sentence you get upset if people actually do say whatever they want when they say "merry Christmas".

It is true that there is no legislation that says you can't say Merry Christmas but you seem to be upset with one particular religion claiming ownership of their holiday. Do you get your panties in a wad if someone wished you Happy Hanakah or Merry <islamic holiday here>? I'm trying to figure out why you have selective indignant rage towards one particular religion.

Its no different than a cop who believes that everyone should be held accountable to speed limit law but seems only to pull over people who are black.

To me, a greeting should be targeted at the person receiving it not the person giving it. It should be given to make the other person feel better not you feel better.
As such, if you know the person is Christian...Merry Christmas is in order
If you know the person celebrates Chanuka .......Happy Chanuka is in order
If you know they celebrate Kwanza.......Happy Kwanza should be offered

If you have no idea what the person celebrates....there is no problem with Happy Holidays

If someone greets you wrong....just smile and say thank you

I haven't read this whole thread thry but for many Americans, this is a religious holiday AND a secukar one. I have many Jewish friends who enjoy my CHRISTMAS cards and greetings. Its the radical atheists who have waged the "war" and yes, they would like it eliminated. For what reasob - is beyond me.

I can't post the link right now but I'm suprised someone hasn't mentioned the hater who has a display of Jesus shooting Santa. Why do atheists hate childreb?

To me, a greeting should be targeted at the person receiving it not the person giving it. It should be given to make the other person feel better not you feel better.

If you have no idea what the person celebrates....there is no problem with Happy Holidays

Then you should have no problem with two christians or people who believe in God in some way saying Merry christmas to each other. Where I have a problem is expecting everyone to say happy holidays when their own holiday does not include everyone elses.

Do you go around wishing other people happy <insert holiday here> on other holidays during the year that they might celebrate that do not occur around christmas?

Last edited:

Where'd you get that idea? I have absolutely no problem with "Merry Christmas" and say it myself. I DO have a problem with the so-called Christian Right Victims bemoaning a fictitious war on Christmas every year and trying to ram their views down my throat with silly legislation.

It is true that there is no legislation that says you can't say Merry Christmas but you seem to be upset with one particular religion claiming ownership of their holiday.

It's not just "their holiday". They don't "own" it. No one does. In fact 90 percent of their myth and ritual comes from other religions.

Do you get your panties in a wad if someone wished you Happy Hanakah or Merry <islamic holiday here>? I'm trying to figure out why you have selective indignant rage towards one particular religion.

Of course not. But then again - I don't mind one iota if they say Merry Christmas, so what's your point here?

Its no different than a cop who believes that everyone should be held accountable to speed limit law but seems only to pull over people who are black.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Christmas is at a time of year where there are other holidays - if you don't know what someone celebrates what is wrong with Happy Holidays? And like you say if someone greets you wrong - who the hell cares? It's the sentiment that counts.

I haven't read this whole thread thry but for many Americans, this is a religious holiday AND a secukar one. I have many Jewish friends who enjoy my CHRISTMAS cards and greetings. Its the radical atheists who have waged the "war" and yes, they would like it eliminated. For what reasob - is beyond me.

I can't post the link right now but I'm suprised someone hasn't mentioned the hater who has a display of Jesus shooting Santa. Why do atheists hate childreb?

What radical atheists are trying to eliminate Christmas? I haven't seen any, and the more I hear people cringing about it that more I think it's a massive straw man made by bitter conservatives.

Then you should have no problem with two christians or people who believe in God in some way saying Merry christmas to each other. Where I have a problem is expecting everyone to say happy holidays when their own holiday does not include everyone elses.

Do you go around wishing other people happy <insert holiday here> on other holidays during the year that they might celebrate that do not occur around christmas?

Why would I have a problem with that?

If I know it is their birthday ...I say happy birthday
If they are a mother...I say happy Mothers day
If they are Irish...I say happy Saint Patricks Day...I even say that if they are not Irish

If someone greets you wrong and was sincere in the greeting just smile and thank them and correct them if you want.

On another forum one person was talking about how he had a rabbi friend who would say "Happy Hanukkah" to him even though he knew he wasn't Jewish. When he brought it up the Rabbi said "I didn't say you celebrate Hanukkah, I'm just saying I hope you have a nice time around Hanukkah" (or something like that).

On another forum one person was talking about how he had a rabbi friend who would say "Happy Hanukkah" to him even though he knew he wasn't Jewish. When he brought it up the Rabbi said "I didn't say you celebrate Hanukkah, I'm just saying I hope you have a nice time around Hanukkah" (or something like that).

If the Rabbi is being inclusive and is welcoming you to celebrate with him ...who cares?

If he were to invite you to a Chanukka feast, would you go even if you were not Jewish?

One thing that gets overlooked is the fact that when there is an issue about what one can say during the Christmas holidays, is that the ones who are making it an issue are the Atheists, or those people who don't like a "Christian" greeting. It is not the Christians who are making an issue. You gotta understand that Christmas is an American tradition. It is a religious and a secular holiday.

So, when there are battles, it is usually started by non-Christians. If there is a war, it is because the Atheists or non-Christians have declared it, or attacked in such a way that defense is necessary.

I really don't care what others say in their greetings. I just automatically say "Merry Christmas." I appreciater any greeting.

Why would I have a problem with that?

If I know it is their birthday ...I say happy birthday
If they are a mother...I say happy Mothers day
If they are Irish...I say happy Saint Patricks Day...I even say that if they are not Irish

If someone greets you wrong and was sincere in the greeting just smile and thank them and correct them if you want.

cool.

What radical atheists are trying to eliminate Christmas? I haven't seen any, and the more I hear people cringing about it that more I think it's a massive straw man made by bitter conservatives.

Its a slight word trick to eliminate something that someone finds offensive since it celebrates a christian holiday. I know the excuse is given that it is to be inclusive and diverse but I can't think of another time of year where other faiths might celebrate their faith's holidays but have to say Happy Holiday(s) in order to be include other people's faith. The burden is being placed on christians to take the meaning out of their holiday in order to encompass everyone elses other faiths don't have to do this for some reason.

One thing that gets overlooked is the fact that when there is an issue about what one can say during the Christmas holidays, is that the ones who are making it an issue are the Atheists, or those people who don't like a "Christian" greeting. It is not the Christians who are making an issue. You gotta understand that Christmas is an American tradition. It is a religious and a secular holiday.

So, when there are battles, it is usually started by non-Christians. If there is a war, it is because the Atheists or non-Christians have declared it, or attacked in such a way that defense is necessary.

I really don't care what others say in their greetings. I just automatically say "Merry Christmas." I appreciater any greeting.

I beg to differ

It seems to be the Christians with the "Reason for the Season" and "Put Christ back in Christmas" campaigns. I'm an atheist and am cool with any way you want to celebrate the holiday. I do resent it when someone tells me what the Christmas holiday has to mean. If you are Jewish, I imagine you resented your Children being taught Christian songs in school. Public Schools used to have Nativity plays as part of the Christmas pagent and all children had to attend. Public Schools should not be pushing any religion.....even if a majority of students belong to that religion

I beg to differ

It seems to be the Christians with the "Reason for the Season" and "Put Christ back in Christmas" campaigns. I'm an atheist and am cool with any way you want to celebrate the holiday. I do resent it when someone tells me what the Christmas holiday has to mean. If you are Jewish, I imagine you resented your Children being taught Christian songs in school. Public Schools used to have Nativity plays as part of the Christmas pagent and all children had to attend. Public Schools should not be pushing any religion.....even if a majority of students belong to that religion

I can't really see how you are pushing a religion onto people when a majority of the people already believe in it to some degree. Perhaps it is just celebrating what most already believe.

Now that I have said that I also think that its unfair to force non-believing, peagens that are damned to fuckin hell (just kidding) to participate. They should be allowed to opt out if the parents request it.

If the Rabbi is being inclusive and is welcoming you to celebrate with him ...who cares?

If he were to invite you to a Chanukka feast, would you go even if you were not Jewish?

Well considering I'm somewhat of a glutton, yes. But even if there was no food, then sure. Nothing wrong with Hannukah, I'm just saying that if someone tells you Happy [insert holiday you don't celebrate] it's not a big deal.

Once again I haven't seen many people who actually care about Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays in a casual setting, well there was this one feminist but they seem to make a living out of being offended so they don't count.

I agree with you in this thread 100%.

I use "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" interchangeably even today and even with my Christian friends. For one thing, we have two holidays at this time of the year. Three if you stretch it from Thanksgiving. We have a religious holiday, Christmas, and we have the secular holiday, New Year's. So, if I say Merry Christmas am I really saying, "Have a splendid Christmas, but I hope you have a shitty New Year"? :eusa_whistle: When I say Happy Holidays, I am thinking the entire holiday season which for me is basically from Thanksgiving through New Year's Day.

Typically, I start the season by saying "Happy Holidays", around Thanksgiving, I'll say, "Happy Thanksgiving", then go back to "Happy Holidays". As Christmas approaches, I start saying "Merry Christmas" and finally end up with "Happy New Year's" and end it with... "pass the <<latest hangover remedy>>"... :eusa_angel:

Like I said earlier, I don't care what kind of greeting I receive from people. The only thing that would bother me would be a business establishment forbidding their employees from actually using one for PC reasons. If Best Buy has told its employees not to use "Merry Christmas" that bothers me (and Best Buy) is where I like to shop the most. I was at Walmart the other day and upon completing my purchase wished the cashier a Merry Christmas... the look I got was like that of a deer in the headlights. Oh my gosh, what was he supposed to say??? I got a "good night come again" kind of response... that is sad.

That is not to say that there is a war on Christmas, but, I would love to see a "War on PC-ness"! Give me a break. It should not be such a big deal to say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

As for your question about attending a Chanukah feast, I can say that as a Christian I have been involved in Chanukah celebrations before as I worked for a Jewish Community Center for a couple of years. I was also privileged enough to attend a Passover Sedar with one family and I would go again if invited. It was not only a very good time for my family, but it was a learning experience for us all.

Immie

Forum List

Back