Republicans gear up in "War on Christmas"

But you are perfectly willing to roll up your sleeves and nit-pick differences with fellow Americans who are not Christian. Uh huh....I get it now.

Nope. That's not "nit-picking". It's straight up calling a hypocrite "a hypocrite". ;)
These non-Christians don't mind making some dough off a religious custom that all to many of them sneer at. They don't mind joining in on the merriment or the traditions and yet we see increasing numbers who display outward contempt for The Source of the merriment and traditions. Hypocrites. Undeserving of our attention or our CASH.

Maybe because Christmas is NOT ALL YOURS...and non-Christians DON'T NEED YOUR PERMISSION to celebrate the Midwinter holidays. What arrogance! Seriously! And from people who STOLE the holiday in the first place.

But hey... Happy Friday to you anyway.

Thank you....on the day of the week named for a Norse/Teutonic goddess.

Does anyone else agree that the creation of resolutions by any Congressional body (federal or state) is an utter waste of time?

Maybe because Christmas is NOT ALL YOURS...and non-Christians DON'T NEED YOUR PERMISSION to celebrate the Midwinter holidays. What arrogance! Seriously! And from people who STOLE the holiday in the first place.

Oooooh!... those nasty, bad Christians. How rotten of them to STEAL your important notation of the Earth's proximity to the Sun. :lol:

What I'm wondering though... is if you can make retail sales noteworthy every December in celebration of pagan rituals... rituals which are most often associated with ancient, pagan gods. (????) :eusa_whistle:

Your welcome. Take a "Happy Monday" out of petty cash while you're at it. Isn't that the Big Day? :eusa_eh:

(Hmmm... I wonder if our bosses will let us all take off work for it. :lol::lol::lol: )

Does anyone else agree that the creation of resolutions by any Congressional body (federal or state) is an utter waste of time?

It's a waste of time... yes. But so is most of the other crap they do, like congratulating basketball teams and honoring Michael Jackson. :rolleyes:

In consideration of this particular Congress though and their rabid stupidity, I think I'd have to say we'd all be better off if they continue making MORE pointless resolutions and refrain from legislating altogether.

Oooooh!... those nasty, bad Christians. How rotten of them to STEAL your important notation of the Earth's proximity to the Sun. :lol:

What I'm wondering though... is if you can make retail sales noteworthy every December in celebration of pagan rituals... rituals which are most often associated with ancient, pagan gods. (????) :eusa_whistle:

Your welcome. Take a "Happy Monday" out of petty cash while you're at it. Isn't that the Big Day? :eusa_eh:

(Hmmm... I wonder if our bosses will let us all take off work for it. :lol::lol::lol: )

Let's think about this for a minute....

Many of us like to wish people a "Happy Holidays" which includes Christmas...inclusive

Others want everyone to say "Merry Christmas" which pretty much leaves out all other holidays....exclusive.

Guess which group throws hissy fits if they don't get their way, calling for boycotts, etc.?:eusa_eh:

Let's think about this for a minute....

Many of us like to wish people a "Happy Holidays" which includes Christmas...inclusive

Others want everyone to say "Merry Christmas" which pretty much leaves out all other holidays....exclusive.

Guess which group throws hissy fits if they don't get their way, calling for boycotts, etc.?:eusa_eh:

What other holiday exist on Christmas that 98% of this country participates in some way? To say that those that wish Christmas to be a celebration of one holiday is "mean" is like saying to those that don't say Happy Holidays on Hanokah is also "mean". No one ever insist that we say Happy Holidays around other religious holidays that Jews, Muslims, Pageans, and other non-christian celebrate but the minute a christian wants to posses their own holiday and its meaning then it is not "mean".

Once again the target of diversification is christianity and nothing else.

What other holiday exist on Christmas that 98% of this country participates in some way? To say that those that wish Christmas to be a celebration of one holiday is "mean" is like saying to those that don't say Happy Holidays on Hanokah is also "mean". No one ever insist that we say Happy Holidays around other religious holidays that Jews, Muslims, Pageans, and other non-christian celebrate but the minute a christian wants to posses their own holiday and its meaning then it is not "mean".

Who gives a shit? Why not say what ever greeting you want, celebrate what you want, have a good time and quit playing victim and trying to ram it down everyone's throat?

Geez. Only the Christian Right has it's knickers in such a knot that they feel the need to proclaim a fictitious "War" on a holiday that 98% of the population (all "victims") celebrate.

There is no legislation saying you aren't allowed to say "Merry Christmas" so get a grip on reality and quit listening to spin.

Who gives a shit? Why not say what ever greeting you want, celebrate what you want, have a good time and quit playing victim and trying to ram it down everyone's throat?

Geez. Only the Christian Right has it's knickers in such a knot that they feel the need to proclaim a fictitious "War" on a holiday that 98% of the population (all "victims") celebrate.

There is no legislation saying you aren't allowed to say "Merry Christmas" so get a grip on reality and quit listening to spin.

I honestly think a "persecution complex" is an deep seated tenet of the religion.

IMO, this is just too fucking stupid for words. A Resolution by House Republicans:
Whereas Christmas is a national holiday celebrated on December 25; and
Whereas the Framers intended that the First Amendment of the Constitution, in prohibiting the establishment of religion, would not prohibit any mention of religion or reference to God in civic dialog: Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
(1) recognizes the importance of the symbols and traditions of Christmas;
(2) strongly disapproves of attempts to ban references to Christmas; and
(3) expresses support for the use of these symbols and traditions by those who celebrate Christmas.

The Washington Monthly

While I disagree with the Bill I do appreciate how it reflects the current condition of our Nation. It is awesome to have achieved a high level of consistent financial prosperity while being one of the most peaceful superpowers in the history of humanity. Being a leader of environmental care through consensus instead of coercion reflects our unrivaled core loyalty to ethics, and having greatly reduced financial abuses in our healthcare system we avoided socialized medicine while not letting low income citizens risk early death due to late money. Yes, it is refreshing to see our legislators display the pinnacle of wisdom by exploiting the strictest standards of spending our national resources on high priority issues.

Indeed. It gets old....however, I'm also going to say that those who wet their panties everytime a municipality desides to have a Christmas pageant or a Nativity scene on the town square....well, they need to down a few eggnogs with whiskey and chill out. They won't be tainted by the religious celebrations - why not enjoy the festivities and lovely music and lights and so what if someone sings about Christ? Whether it's the Abrahamic God ressurecting his son or Raven bringing back the Sun at solstice who gives a fig? Let there be light, and lots of it in these dark times :D

Indeed. It gets old....however, I'm also going to say that those who wet their panties everytime a municipality desides to have a Christmas pageant or a Nativity scene on the town square....well, they need to down a few eggnogs with whiskey and chill out. They won't be tainted by the religious celebrations - why not enjoy the festivities and lovely music and lights and so what if someone sings about Christ? Whether it's the Abrahamic God ressurecting his son or Raven bringing back the Sun at solstice who gives a fig? Let there be light, and lots of it in these dark times :D

:clap2:

Heated debate again over 'War on Christmas' claims - CNN.com

Barry Lynn, an ordained minister and executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, isn't keen on the prospect of congressional action.

Don't try to 'help' the baby Jesus by passing a resolution on his behalf.

"Resolutions like this come up because there is this bizarre view by some members of Congress that there is a war on Christmas and that they have to be the generals in some responding army," he said.

"My advice to the lawmakers would be promote any religion you have through your private acts, and don't try to 'help' the baby Jesus by passing a resolution on his behalf. It is arrogant and ridiculous at the same time," Lynn said.

Christmas is in no danger of being ignored, Lynn said, noting that signs of the holiday emerge as soon as Halloween passes.

"You would literally have to be living in a very deep cave not to understand that there is a religious holiday called Christmas that is soon to come," he said.

In his view, some people feel a "false sense of some kind of attack on Christmas" if a school holds a winter concert instead of a Christmas concert, or if retailers declare "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

I got chewed out by a grumpy old lady at our Kennel Club Christmas Party because I wished her "Happy Holidays" as she was leaving. She gave me a stoney glare and said "It's Merry Christmas" then shuffled out.

I stuck my tongue out at her back.

I got chewed out by a grumpy old lady at our Kennel Club Christmas Party because I wished her "Happy Holidays" as she was leaving. She gave me a stoney glare and said "It's Merry Christmas" then shuffled out.

I stuck my tongue out at her back.

If there is a War on Christmas...some people think that saying "Merry Christmas" is a club they can use to bash those they don't like with.

Forum List

Back