Republican and Religious control of education

I am on the school board., a member of the city planning and zoning commission, and direct the central committee of the Republican Party here. I am an active committed American who knows you are full of crapola.

Many of our public schools are failures because our parents are failures who resist being actively and intelligently involved.

I am on the school board., a member of the city planning and zoning commission, and direct the central committee of the Republican Party here. I am an active committed American who knows you are full of crapola.

Many of our public schools are failures because our parents are failures who resist being actively and intelligently involved.

You mean they abdicate their responsibility in favor of government?

Thank you for making my point.

The abdicate their responsibility despite government.

You were the one made the lost point. You have lost this debate.

In our system, the voters are the ones who elect their representatives (republican government) to make decisions. When voters and parents willingly give up being involved, that is not government's fault, but only that of the parents and votes. They are despicable people who do not care about their children.

Last edited:
The abdicate their responsibility despite government.

You were the one made the lost point. You have lost this debate.

I must disagree.

People who do not take responsibility for their educational choices are letting government do it for them. You think that's a good thing but the record of government education proves you wrong.

tell me if government education is so great why do parents who make their own educational choices and home school their children produce students that on average beat those going to government run schools ?

Skull, you are a cheap (and not very smart) tool of the far right so they can privatize (and steal) educational monies.

And, I notice you ignored my point that destroyed yours: "In our system, the voters are the ones who elect their representatives (republican government) to make decisions. When voters and parents willingly give up being involved, that is not government's fault, but only that of the parents and votes. They are despicable people who do not care about their children."

The answer is you, me, and every American to get involved in the school system. You, you idiot, to give it to private business that will run the profession into the ground in order to get obscenely rich for a subpar product.

Skull, you are a cheap (and not very smart) tool of the far right so they can privatize (and steal) educational monies.

And, I notice you ignored my point that destroyed yours: "In our system, the voters are the ones who elect their representatives (republican government) to make decisions. When voters and parents willingly give up being involved, that is not government's fault, but only that of the parents and votes. They are despicable people who do not care about their children."

The answer is you, me, and every American to get involved in the school system. You, you idiot, to give it to private business that will run the profession into the ground in order to get obscenely rich for a subpar product.

Where did I ever mention private business?

I said people should make their own educational choices. The government should not make those choices for them.

Anyone who allows government to dictate what they teach their kids or themselves for that matter deserve what they get. And education has been made sub par by the government not the private sector.

A very curious thing happened with education in Florida in 1987.

Computers as Tutors: Solving the Crisis in Education

Florida has established for its students a passing score on the GED among the highest in the nation.7 The national GED Testing Service has compiled data showing how graduating high school seniors across the country would do based on various score requirements. Under the Florida criteria, only sixty-six percent of regular graduates receiving normal high school diplomas across the United States can pass the test.8

Authorities in Vero Beach knew their pupils in computerized education were learning. Nonetheless, they were unable to graduate because twenty-four credits were required. Credits depend primarily on time spent in completed classes. Even if the computer students knew enough, they still lacked sufficient credits. Therefore, authorities decided to use the GED exam as a replacement. This option set up a horrendous complication for the at-risk students trying to graduate. Only sixty-six percent of successful graduates can pass the GED with the Florida requirements after twelve normal years of learning in school. The at-risk students had been markedly behind when they entered the program. Now the school demanded that they not only equal other graduates, but that they do better than one-third of them. If they failed, their quest of a diploma had also failed. Odds against these students passing the GED were enormous. No one unfamiliar with the power of computers could have given them much chance to graduate.

When the tests were given and scored, questions about the effectiveness of this novel way of teaching vanished. Computers had effectively overcome those oppressive negative odds. Eighty-five percent of these students taught by computers pass the GED with the Florida requirements on their first attempt.
Computers as tutors - section I

In 1987 Intel had not even introduced the 486 processor. These $300 must be more than 10 times as powerful. The hardware for solving education problems is staring us in the face. But does the existing educational establishment want to let that genie out of the bottle.

So I guess it is up to parents to short circuit the schools for the sake of their own kids.

The Fun They Had by Isaac Asimov
The Fun They Had

psik

Where they would work best is at "Bible Colleges" learning "Bible quotes". You could get a Bible degree in a year instead of four. Then you could be a, a, what could you be with such a degree? Rap artist?

Computer tutorials are great. Only you need someone there to answer questions that aren't clear in the tutorial. You have to keep kids motivated to stay at the keyboard and they need to be watched over.

You've got to get Republicans interested in education before you can get them to invest in it.

Florida has established for its students a passing score on the GED among the highest in the nation.7 The national GED Testing Service has compiled data showing how graduating high school seniors across the country would do based on various score requirements. Under the Florida criteria, only sixty-six percent of regular graduates receiving normal high school diplomas across the United States can pass the test.8

Authorities in Vero Beach knew their pupils in computerized education were learning. Nonetheless, they were unable to graduate because twenty-four credits were required. Credits depend primarily on time spent in completed classes. Even if the computer students knew enough, they still lacked sufficient credits. Therefore, authorities decided to use the GED exam as a replacement. This option set up a horrendous complication for the at-risk students trying to graduate. Only sixty-six percent of successful graduates can pass the GED with the Florida requirements after twelve normal years of learning in school. The at-risk students had been markedly behind when they entered the program. Now the school demanded that they not only equal other graduates, but that they do better than one-third of them. If they failed, their quest of a diploma had also failed. Odds against these students passing the GED were enormous. No one unfamiliar with the power of computers could have given them much chance to graduate.

When the tests were given and scored, questions about the effectiveness of this novel way of teaching vanished. Computers had effectively overcome those oppressive negative odds. Eighty-five percent of these students taught by computers pass the GED with the Florida requirements on their first attempt.

In 1987 Intel had not even introduced the 486 processor. These $300 must be more than 10 times as powerful. The hardware for solving education problems is staring us in the face. But does the existing educational establishment want to let that genie out of the bottle.

So I guess it is up to parents to short circuit the schools for the sake of their own kids.

The Fun They Had

psik

Where they would work best is at "Bible Colleges" learning "Bible quotes". You could get a Bible degree in a year instead of four. Then you could be a, a, what could you be with such a degree? Rap artist?

Computer tutorials are great. Only you need someone there to answer questions that aren't clear in the tutorial. You have to keep kids motivated to stay at the keyboard and they need to be watched over.

You've got to get Republicans interested in education before you can get them to invest in it.

I'm all for education which is why I don't want the government involved.

Only you are saying it is happening. Government does what people allow it get away with it. The failure is not the government, skull, the failure is the parents who won't get involved in their children's education. So you are part of the failure because you are not helping the parents so they will accept responsibility for the system's failure.

The Fun They Had

psik

I'm all for education which is why I don't want the government involved.

Patrick Henry and Liberty and John Jay and Bob Jones? Tell me you are kidding.

Republicans don't understand that the US government is actually made up of other US citizens. It's not some shadowy secret organization.

The worst part about Sarah Palin rolling her eyes when that woman said she was a teacher wasn't Sarah rolling her eyes or drop out Bristol rolling her eyes. It was making a teacher "embarrassed" to BE a teacher. Which is why she said, "I have other jobs".

Republicans won't admit how they admire average. How they strive for mediocre. How they yearn for barely "OK". So pathetic.

The US has been number One for years in Science and Technology when all we had was that awful liberal education with biology, physiology and botany, all based on the Science of Evolution. Then there was all that math and computers and all the nasty liberal arts stuff. The rest of the world called our educational system the BEST in the world. They sent students here to learn how those awful liberals did it so they could copy it in their country.

Now the right wing has changed all that. They brought in God and "natural science" in favor of research. They had such a wonderful effect on our system, the US has dropped to 12th from 1st in the number of degrees per percentage of people.

Their economic policies. Their foreign policies. Look at everything they've done to, uh, I mean, FOR America. Yep, they are taking us in the "RIGHT", get it? The "RIGHT" direction. Only it seems that direction is "down".

do you have any evidence that the decline in the american school system corresponds to our schools becoming more right wing/ religious oriented?

you think schools are more conservative now then they were 30-50 years ago?

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. You can't complain about this but support revisionist history on the left, that makes no sense. We need to accurately teach history. Although the problem I see here is it may be skewed too far to the right. There needs to be a teaching of several ideas so people can get the facts from both sides and make up there minds. It can't just be one sided. Education is important but as a nation the education system sucks ... maybe this change will help.

helps? to teach stupid, inaccurate, rightwing propaganda to kids?

yeah, that should help :thup:

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. You can't complain about this but support revisionist history on the left, that makes no sense. We need to accurately teach history. Although the problem I see here is it may be skewed too far to the right. There needs to be a teaching of several ideas so people can get the facts from both sides and make up there minds. It can't just be one sided. Education is important but as a nation the education system sucks ... maybe this change will help.

let's just keep teaching left wing propaganda like we've been doing since the 60's.

that's been working out well for us.

This is why education needs to be left to the people and the communities. If they want to worship Phyllis Schafly, that's no more bizarre than believing that FDR's New Deal ended the Great Depression or that LBJ was some Civil Rights hero or that Progressives really aren't Marxists.

It's none of my business if people want they kids to be steewpit

Education decissions are the most important decisions human beings make. Education decisions determine our cultural, econonic and political reality. The decisions made in Texas effect all of us, because they buy so many text books, the text book companies catar to Texas. Personally I do not like the Republican and Christian control of public education. What is your opinion?

From the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change
By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
Published: March 12, 2010
Facebook

CloseLinkedinDiggMixxMySpaceYahoo! BuzzPermalink AUSTIN, Tex. — After three days of turbulent meetings, the Texas Board of Education on Friday approved a social studies curriculum that will put a conservative stamp on history and economics textbooks, stressing the superiority of American capitalism, questioning the Founding Fathers’ commitment to a purely secular government and presenting Republican political philosophies in a more positive light.

You're setting a record for being a dumbass, huh? You aren't related to truthdoesn'tmatter are you?:eusa_whistle:

Oh, poor widdle Texarse gets an interesting thread, so you have to come and troll it....

Why?

let's just keep teaching left wing propaganda like we've been doing since the 60's.

that's been working out well for us.

Right wing revisionist history will not help. But it can be used as a counter point, say in Texas.

The teacher can say, "The Texas text book committee want you the student to reconsider the role of Joe McCarthy in American history. As we study him, you will learn about demagoguery, alcoholism, propaganda and power over service to the country. You bet, let's talk about Joe McCarthy."

Only you are saying it is happening. Government does what people allow it get away with it. The failure is not the government, skull, the failure is the parents who won't get involved in their children's education. So you are part of the failure because you are not helping the parents so they will accept responsibility for the system's failure.

It's not my responsibility to help anyone take responsibility for their lives.

They either will or they won't. It's not the government's job to enable people to make poor choices and neither is it the government's job to ameliorate the results of one's poor choices.

You mean like teaching people how FDR's Massive Spending and Marxists Redirection of the US economy ended the Great Depression?

Please show me when this happened, which year?

Forum List

Back