Republican and Religious control of education

The policies have not yet failed, they stopped the massive slide into depression caused by the greed of the wing nut right's reactionary agenda, and we have a long crawl up out of the mud.

Or did that slide stop all by itself? We'll never know.

And if the slide was stopped why all the new spending? 26 Billion with all kinds of strings attached to states, another round of 10 billion to seniors etc etc

Only half the so called stimulus has been spent and real unemployment is something like 15% so tell me what are your progressive heroes waiting for?

(1) We do know that it has stopped the massive slide: check the stock market and all the economic indicators; (2) 1/2 of stimulus money to be spent means good things ahead; and (3) compared to the height of Reagan's bad years, the unemployment rate is 9.5 to compared to RR's 10.8 and the actual RR employment rate near 18.5%.

We the People are going in the right direction, and you are welcome to come join.

who is going to have a bigger influence on the education of your child?

the texas schoolboard committee
the teacher's union

It had better be the parent involved with the teacher who knows what s/he is doing, not the state or the feds.

cad's behavior here proves my point: asking questions while not doing a darn thing to change things other than complain is worthless.

the teacher's union

It had better be the parent involved with the teacher who knows what s/he is doing, not the state or the feds.

cad's behavior here proves my point: asking questions while not doing a darn thing to change things other than complain is worthless.

please tell me what you know about my behavior based on my posts.

the teacher's union

please tell me what you know about my behavior based on my posts.

Your behavior here is one who stands on the sideline and points out errors, a Monday morning quarterback.

Offer something constructive, hmmm, or all you are doing is stealing good oxygen.

i was simply disagreeing with the premise of this thread, that somehow the religious right is a real threat to our education system.

what would you like me to say, that this thread has motivated me to run for PTA president? is that constructive?

know what your children are reading, if you don't like it, give them another book to read. is that constructive?

know which teachers are trying to brainwash your children with liberal/progressive crap, and accuse them of sexually abusing your child. is that constructive?

Education decissions are the most important decisions human beings make. Education decisions determine our cultural, econonic and political reality. The decisions made in Texas effect all of us, because they buy so many text books, the text book companies catar to Texas. Personally I do not like the Republican and Christian control of public education. What is your opinion?

From the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change
By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
Published: March 12, 2010
Facebook

CloseLinkedinDiggMixxMySpaceYahoo! BuzzPermalink AUSTIN, Tex. — After three days of turbulent meetings, the Texas Board of Education on Friday approved a social studies curriculum that will put a conservative stamp on history and economics textbooks, stressing the superiority of American capitalism, questioning the Founding Fathers’ commitment to a purely secular government and presenting Republican political philosophies in a more positive light.

My opinion is that you're a fucking loon. And I would love for the evidence that shows Republicans or Christians have undue influence.

Last I heard schools are the responsibility of the community in which they reside. Which means that the people who pay for them are the same people who decide the curriculum, more or less. That's one of the tenets of a free society. Choke on it.

cad, proves my point. He can ask vague questions but offers no constructive solutions. He is the weakest link. Dismissed.

cad, proves my point. He can ask vague questions but offers no constructive solutions. He is the weakest link. Dismissed.

solutions to what? what are we solving in this thread? the undue influence of the religious right on our education system?

The policies have not yet failed, they stopped the massive slide into depression caused by the greed of the wing nut right's reactionary agenda, and we have a long crawl up out of the mud.

Or did that slide stop all by itself? We'll never know.

And if the slide was stopped why all the new spending? 26 Billion with all kinds of strings attached to states, another round of 10 billion to seniors etc etc

Only half the so called stimulus has been spent and real unemployment is something like 15% so tell me what are your progressive heroes waiting for?

(1) We do know that it has stopped the massive slide: check the stock market and all the economic indicators; (2) 1/2 of stimulus money to be spent means good things ahead; and (3) compared to the height of Reagan's bad years, the unemployment rate is 9.5 to compared to RR's 10.8 and the actual RR employment rate near 18.5%.

We the People are going in the right direction, and you are welcome to come join.

No thanks. I stay away from flocks of sheep, unless I'm hungry that is.

I am where I am because I didn't bleat and follow the flock so I won't be doing either any time soon.

I can't understand how you can say we are moving in the right direction when the federal government is usurping more and more state sovereignty.

The last 26 billion handed out by the feds basically hijacks state budgets and that's OK with you?

The government is stifling business with a myriad of new regulations. If it's not overturned a provision of the health care bill will require me to issue hundreds of 1099s every year including one to the post office.

S corporations, the most common type of small business, are facing a new tax on dividend income of about 12%. Most S corp owners place themselves on payroll up to what is considered a reasonable income then take a portion of their salary as a profit distribution on which they pay income tax at their assessed rate but the government wants to assess what amounts to payroll taxes on these distributions even if the person receiving them doesn't actually work for the S corp and even if the corporation retains the money rather than paying it out.

There is no right direction that stifles small business as this progressive agenda is attempting to do.

Last edited:
As cad would say: vague comments don't make valid arguments, Skull Pilot. When you can answer my factual points clearly, we can continue.

As cad would say: vague comments don't make valid arguments, Skull Pilot. When you can answer my factual points clearly, we can continue.

That you said "we as a people are moving in the right direction" is an opinion not a fact.

We are in fact moving in the wrong direction. The government is controlling more and more of our lives from forcing us to buy health insurance to taxing foods that some bureaucrat deems are "bad for us".

How you can say this is the "right" direction is beyond me.

And I really don't care what Regan did when he was President. In case you haven't noticed that was over 20 years ago. I am more concerned about what's going on now than what happened then and what's going on now is terrifying.

And those "vague" comments about regulation and taxes are actually facts.

Last edited:

why do you bring me in to this.

you never answered my question, what, exactly am i supposed to be offering solutions to?

[When SP and cad can discuss my factual points about the here and now, then I can answer.

Last edited:
[When SP and cad can discuss my factual points about the here and now, then I can answer.

ok. the factual points you brought up where what exactly?

People elect the government? teachers can dictate what is taught in their class?

cad, you are going to have to do much more than this before you get any credit.

cad, you are going to have to do much more than this before you get any credit.

whatever you say man. i just really want some credit it from you.

i went through your posts and could find very few facts, let alone sollutions you put forth. but again i ask, solutions to what?

the only reason i responded to this OP was because I took issue with the notion that the religious right was some sort of threat to our children's education.

i've actually heard a fair share about the texas text-book wars. does this committee lean to the right, to they go a little too far? probably. you called them reactionary. again i ask, what are they reacting to?

i have two daughters, and when they get to school I'm going to read over their textbooks with them, and when i disagree i'm going to give them other sources. when a teacher tries to push some other agenda i don't agree with, i'm going to go have a talk with that teacher.

sorry i don't measure up to your level of genius jake. i won't use any more of your oxygen. go forth and solve the worlds' problems by posting on this message board.

History is written by yhe winners, it takes a century or two to get to the losers point of view. Maybe we should just present the facts of what happened when, warts and all, and let the students argue out the whys. Pappadave.

Cad, you are answering instead of asking. I asked you what you would do, and now you have finally responded, to the effect, "I will be involved with my daughters' learning." I certainly agree that you should talk with teachers with whom you disagree.

Thank you for finally responding concretely.

Cad, you are answering instead of asking. I asked you what you would do, and now you have finally responded, to the effect, "I will be involved with my daughters' learning." I certainly agree that you should talk with teachers with whom you disagree.

Thank you for finally responding concretely.

You remind me of every lousy but arrogant assholes masquerading as teachers that I was forced to put up with throughout my time in the union run public education system. Arrogant about being able to quote from a text book and yet not have any true understanding about the real world aspects of the subject, because......... they don't know about the real world, they couldn't survive in it. I can count on one hand how many "teachers" taught me anything of value, that includes the losers that hid behind tenure in the university setting. We spend way too much on education in this country with painfully bad results. I am stuck paying for a bunch of jerk kids playing on the cell phone their equally jerky parents gave them, schools are nothing but social programs and babysitting the kids of worthless parents....... better students will learn what they need to learn if they want to, with or without a teacher.

I bet you're really a dick at school board meetings.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back