Reporter forcibly locked in closet at Biden fundraiser

This is just getting ridiculous now.

Reporter was told to wait in a room until the press was allowed into the dinner. He could have left at any time, but then he would not have been able to attend the presser with the VP. So he waited. And blogged a bit about being stuck in a closet (thats some closet though, thing is as big as my room from what I can tell from the pics). Then copy editors back at the news offices, sniffing a story, decided to run with it and blew it up into something that it was not.

Original reporter tries to set the story straight in the comments section of his own paper. But now people don't even believe the guy that actually was part of the story? :cuckoo:

Non-story. Move along.

CaféAuLait;3468044 said:
CaféAuLait;3468032 said:
LOL, I'll make sure I remember that anytime anything written in the comments section of a blog is the absolute truth, Gotcha. :laugh:
Good. If it's by the guy the story is about, I'll listen too.

You do realize I could have made a comment in the comments section of that blog you posted as Joe Biden or Barack Obama, right?
This was HIS paper's blog. I'm pretty damn sure the Sentinel would remove a comment made by someone who misrepresented himself as Powers at their own website.

Duh.

Reporter was told to wait in a room until the press was allowed into the dinner. He could have left at any time, but then he would not have been able to attend the presser with the VP. So he waited. And blogged a bit about being stuck in a closet (thats some closet though, thing is as big as my room from what I can tell from the pics). Then copy editors back at the news offices, sniffing a story, decided to run with it and blew it up into something that it was not.

Original reporter tries to set the story straight in the comments section of his own paper. But now people don't even believe the guy that actually was part of the story? :cuckoo:

Non-story. Move along.
I summed it up earlier:

How a story becomes poutragous in right wing land

1. Minor, private event happens. VP, Fundraiser, Chocolate martinis and canapes.
2. Reporter is invited for a portion of it.
3. Reporter is not allowed admittance to martini and canapes portion. Told he may voluntarily wait in another area until such time as they allow said reporter to the private event.
4. Reporter waits, snaps picture of his "cell."
5. Next day, small post is made on the reporters newspaper blog area about the indignities a reporter suffers through at multi-million dollar mansions.
6. Photo editor who posted the picture and wanted it to be a bigger story goes out to have some beers with a Freeper.
7. Freeper spins the story with the words "locked" and splashes in dog-whistle words like "police-state tactics," spices up the salad with Cuba, Iran, Libya, and Stalinist Russia references, and muzzle. Adds Imprisoned to the boldy headline and posts a Free Republic "Exclusive."
8. Freeper contacts Drudge with story.
9. Drudge, being Drudge, revs up the Wurlitzer, cranks the machine to 11.
10. Right wing music plays to eager right wing ears.
11. Tabloid, guised as newspaper in England picks it up, other newspapers across America follow suit.
12. 20,000 blog and message board posts begin holding hands in outrage and fear and Is this even America anymore? can be heard in the cacophony of sad lamentations of how First Amendment Rights! (dammit!) are now trashed and because of this dictatorial administration reporters are now being kidnapped and imprisoned.
13. Fox News picks it up.
14. It now becomes legend, told and retold. Obama regime imprisons reporters.
15. Freeper and Sentinel Photo editor smile and smile.
16. Reporter, who was free to leave at any time at this canapied event, goes wha? huh? It wasn't like that.
17. Right wingers and right wing media all across the fruited plain say: It doesn't matter. We are the ones who write the story. Get back in your closet, stooge!

And that, my friends, is how it all happens.

Non-story. Move along.
I summed it up earlier:

1. Minor, private event happens. VP, Fundraiser, Chocolate martinis and canapes.
3. Reporter is not allowed admittance to martini and canapes portion. Told he may voluntarily wait in another area until such time as they allow said reporter to the private event.
5. Next day, small post is made on the reporters newspaper blog area about the indignities a reporter suffers through at multi-million dollar mansions.
6. Photo editor who posted the picture and wanted it to be a bigger story goes out to have some beers with a Freeper.
7. Freeper spins the story with the words "locked" and splashes in dog-whistle words like "police-state tactics," spices up the salad with Cuba, Iran, Libya, and Stalinist Russia references, and muzzle. Adds Imprisoned to the boldy headline and posts a Free Republic "Exclusive."
11. Tabloid, guised as newspaper in England picks it up, other newspapers across America follow suit.
12. 20,000 blog and message board posts begin holding hands in outrage and fear and Is this even America anymore? can be heard in the cacophony of sad lamentations of how First Amendment Rights! (dammit!) are now trashed and because of this dictatorial administration reporters are now being kidnapped and imprisoned.
16. Reporter, who was free to leave at any time at this canapied event, goes wha? huh? It wasn't like that.
17. Right wingers and right wing media all across the fruited plain say: It doesn't matter. We are the ones who write the story. Get back in your closet, stooge!

I would take exception to your characterization that it only happens in right-wing land.

It pretty much happens on both sides. It just depends the party of the person at the top.

The Freeper link is posted earlier. This ALL became what it is because of a disgruntled Photo Editor and a Freeper who had beers with that Editor.

Freeper is an ex-reporter who relates how he is fed stories like this all the time. Freeper then posts outrage on FR. Outrage gets emailed to Drudge.

Drudge does his business and Ta da!

Non-story. Move along.
I summed it up earlier:

I would take exception to your characterization that it only happens in right-wing land.

It pretty much happens on both sides. It just depends the party of the person at the top.
Of course it does, Silly boy: http://www.usmessageboard.com/3467597-post33.html

Non-story. Move along.

However in other articles he says other things:

Powers says the situation was never "rectified." Any time he stuck his head out he'd been shooed back inside. He said he was held for more than an hour in the closet, was allowed out for 35 minutes of remarks by Biden and Nelson, after which it was back into the closet until the VP left.

Biden Team Apologizes to Reporter for Sticking Him In Closet - Political Punch

Thus my taking those comments instead of comments in a comments section of a blog. Not to mention he was apologized to by Alexander ( Biden’s Team) and the homeowner. Tells me that situation was far from the norm and at the very least uncomfortable.

CaféAuLait;3467374 said:

A local reporter, invited to cover US Vice President Joe Biden's fundraiser, was forcibly locked in a closet by Biden staffers to keep him from speaking with influential guests.

Read more: Reporter forcibly locked in closet at Biden fundraiser

Vice President Joe Biden's staff lock journalist in closet to stop him talking to guests | Mail Online

If true, so much for free speech.

Was it the darling of Conservatives, Jeff Gannon?

CaféAuLait;3468090 said:

Non-story. Move along.

Powers says the situation was never "rectified." Any time he stuck his head out he'd been shooed back inside. He said he was held for more than an hour in the closet, was allowed out for 35 minutes of remarks by Biden and Nelson, after which it was back into the closet until the VP left.

Thus my taking those comments instead of comments in a comments section of a blog. Not to mention he was apologized to by Alexander ( Biden’s Team) and the homeowner. Tells me that situation was far from the norm and at the very least uncomfortable.

I don't see where he's said anything different than I have. He was stuck in a room. He could leave at anytime, but then he would not have been allowed to attend the PR event. He would of had to leave the premises.

He decided to stick around for the PR event, and therefore had to wait in the room until the VP was ready.

Big deal.

CaféAuLait;3468090 said:

Non-story. Move along.

I don't see where he's said anything different than I have. He was stuck in a room. He could leave at anytime, but then he would not have been allowed to attend the PR event. He would of had to leave the premises.

He decided to stick around for the PR event, and therefore had to wait in the room until the VP was ready.

Big deal.

Then why the need to for Team Biden to apologize? Not to mention the homeowner felt the need too.

CaféAuLait;3467374 said:

A local reporter, invited to cover US Vice President Joe Biden's fundraiser, was forcibly locked in a closet by Biden staffers to keep him from speaking with influential guests.

Vice President Joe Biden's staff lock journalist in closet to stop him talking to guests | Mail Online

Scott Powers

CaféAuLait;3468106 said:
CaféAuLait;3468090 said:

Big deal.

Then why the need to for Team Biden to apologize? Not to mention the homeowner felt the need too.

Because thats the instant reaction of politicians and those who would suffer from poor publicity. Apologize and hope the thing goes away.

Seriously, this was set straight on page 1 and the rest of the pages are the right wingers desperately wanting to find a victim of the Biden team so they can cry foul. Doesnt matter what the REPORTER HIMSELF says about it, they are more willing to believe a guy that wasnt there and / or believe that an apology means that the reporter was kidnapped.

:lol: Im sorry all of sudden sorry translates to "I'm sorry for kidnapping you" :lol:

jeez

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;3467977 said:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/media...urnalist-in-closet-for-hours.html#post3466033

Yo! Can we get a merge?

merge2.gif

Sorry man, I searched the name Powers, I must have missed your thread. :redface:

Wasn't my thread, it was Shadow's.

I just hate that the masses are missing out on my wit and repartee.

It hasn't been missed.
no.gif

evillaugh.gif

The reporter followed up with this, after wingers swirled it into a fun little headline capturing steaming pile of crapola:

"How in the world did I become the bad guy in all of this?
I’m not a whiny little princess. I do what I can to do my job, find and report the news. In this case, there was very little news – Biden said nothing consequential and took no questions from anyone, including me – unless you include that little side story about the reporter being confined to a closet, which we reported, both on this blog and in the paper.

As for what would happen if a Republican did the same thing: the last time I was confined and prevented from talking to people at a similar event was by Gov. Rick Scott. It wasn’t a closet but the intent was the same and the result would have been the same if I hadn’t busted free.

I reported that confinement the same way – with a snarky little blog post. (Nothing appeared in the paper.) That’s all it was worth. No front page crocodile tears.

Andrew: I expected more of an apology than i received from the Veep’s office; that’s why I said I found the one I got to be “less satisfying.” I’m also disappointed that I haven’t heard from Nelson, whom I’ve covered off and on for years.
Reply Posted by: Scott Powers | Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM
Rick Scott is a troll. How sad that people actually voted for him.

CaféAuLait;3467374 said:

Karl's boy-toy?

yuckert.jpg

CaféAuLait;3467374 said:

Karl's boy-toy?

yuckert.jpg
:lol:

Gannon: When the White House needs a Top, and Les Kinsolving just won't do.

CaféAuLait;3467551 said:
CaféAuLait;3467523 said:
And again you are missing my point. The STORY you posted here:

Waiting for Joe and Bill – Central Florida Political Pulse – Orlando Sentinel

says he was confined and kept from leaving. You told me if I had bothered to read said story I would have found out the truth. I do not read comments sections of stories for the truth and I read the story and I move on.
Of course.

...and then start a thread about it, cause it's important!

Ah yeah, the way the story I read it sounded strange. I have seen stories on here posed about Palin's toenails fer crying out loud. But I can't post a link about a man confined to a closet reporting an event? Please.

I'm always surprised when someone posts a thread, then gets all up in the air when he/she gets some backlash. I mean what did you expect?

CaféAuLait;3467592 said:
CaféAuLait;3467541 said:
The paper I saw it in was Digital Journal as I posted in the OP.

Who got it from Drudge.

Don't you understand how the right wing echo chamber works?

Of course the 'echo chamber' is only confined to the right wing. :eusa_hand:

I wonder if it is about even. Just for giggles, I think I'll go hunt down that news flash on Palin's toenails to see if hundreds of left wing bloggers/outlets picked up on it.

Forum List

Back