Reporter forcibly locked in closet at Biden fundraiser

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
He wasn't forcibly locked.

I was waiting for this story to hit here. You didn't disappoint.

Whether or not the reporter was forced or went into the room voluntarily is only part of the issue. If he was locked in and couldn't get out on his own it is kidnapping or at least unlawful imprisonment.

Still it seems rather bizarre.
It's a ginned up story emanating from a disgruntled Photo Editor and a Freeper.

That's it's taken flight in right wing kook-land is not bizarre.

We know that it surely wouldn't be reported from the left leaning media...that's a given.

CaféAuLait;3467416 said:

Take it up with the Digital Journal, it was their headline and words which say forceable:

other articles has him locked in the closet for hours in their titles or leads.

Vice President Joe Biden's staff lock journalist in closet to stop him talking to guests | Mail Online
If you had bothered to read the original Sentinel page, you'd have seen this, from the reporter:

Wow, is my time in the closet getting legs on the blogosphere. I had no idea. Let me clarify a few points.

1. It was frustrating and annoying that I was not given a chance to do my job fully and properly. I was allowed to come out long enough to listen to the remarks, but not to talk with anyone, a point reported a couple times later on this blog.

2. I wasn’t kidnapped. I was confined, but the situation was: If I wanted to hear the remarks, I was to wait there. If I wanted to leave, I’m sure I could have left the house. I just wasn’t free to join the party to talk with anyone. (See point 1.)

3. While this was an extreme, and extremely inappropriate way of handling the press, it’s unfortunately not unusual for event organizers to put reporters in a spot where they cannot wander freely and talk with people at the event. Politicians of all stripes adopt this policy. More typically, when this happens, we’re roped off in a corner of the event area. Besides the practical problem of this preventing me from doing my job (see point 1,) it was essentially a rude and uncomfortable way to treat a reporter. But that’s it.

4. I have since spoken with the home owner Alan Ginsburg. He called and very graciously apologized, and assured me that he had no idea that the Veep’s team had put me in his closet, and he was upset that it had happened. I’m sure that’s true and I accepted his apology.

5. One of the Veep’s staffers e-mailed an apology, though I found it far less satisfying than Ginsburg’s.

6. We (the Sentinel) didn’t make a big deal out of it because we figured – and I personally believe – that the way politicians treat reporters may be amusing to ghe general public, yet rude and uncomfortable treatment of a reporter is hardly unusual or shocking.

Waiting for Joe and Bill – Central Florida Political Pulse – Orlando Sentinel
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ne...for-joe-and-bill.html/comment-page-1#comments

The reporter followed up with this, after wingers swirled it into a fun little headline capturing steaming pile of crapola:

"How in the world did I become the bad guy in all of this?
I’m not a whiny little princess. I do what I can to do my job, find and report the news. In this case, there was very little news – Biden said nothing consequential and took no questions from anyone, including me – unless you include that little side story about the reporter being confined to a closet, which we reported, both on this blog and in the paper.

As for what would happen if a Republican did the same thing: the last time I was confined and prevented from talking to people at a similar event was by Gov. Rick Scott. It wasn’t a closet but the intent was the same and the result would have been the same if I hadn’t busted free.

I reported that confinement the same way – with a snarky little blog post. (Nothing appeared in the paper.) That’s all it was worth. No front page crocodile tears.

Andrew: I expected more of an apology than i received from the Veep’s office; that’s why I said I found the one I got to be “less satisfying.” I’m also disappointed that I haven’t heard from Nelson, whom I’ve covered off and on for years.
Reply Posted by: Scott Powers | Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM

CaféAuLait;3467374 said:

A local reporter, invited to cover US Vice President Joe Biden's fundraiser, was forcibly locked in a closet by Biden staffers to keep him from speaking with influential guests.

Read more: Reporter forcibly locked in closet at Biden fundraiser

Vice President Joe Biden's staff lock journalist in closet to stop him talking to guests | Mail Online

If true, so much for free speech.
CaféAuLait;3467374 said:

A local reporter, invited to cover US Vice President Joe Biden's fundraiser, was forcibly locked in a closet by Biden staffers to keep him from speaking with influential guests.

Isn't the British Daily Mail a tabloid, kinda like our version of The New York Daily News ("ALIEN MONSTER FOUND IN HUDSON RIVER!!!!") ???

And what's this man doing with a girly bag? (Ooooooh, think I'll start a rumor...)

article-1370371-0B5C0F2700000578-768_468x606.jpg

CaféAuLait;3467416 said:

Take it up with the Digital Journal, it was their headline and words which say forceable:

If you had bothered to read the original Sentinel page, you'd have seen this, from the reporter:

Wow, is my time in the closet getting legs on the blogosphere. I had no idea. Let me clarify a few points.

1. It was frustrating and annoying that I was not given a chance to do my job fully and properly. I was allowed to come out long enough to listen to the remarks, but not to talk with anyone, a point reported a couple times later on this blog.

2. I wasn’t kidnapped. I was confined, but the situation was: If I wanted to hear the remarks, I was to wait there. If I wanted to leave, I’m sure I could have left the house. I just wasn’t free to join the party to talk with anyone. (See point 1.)

3. While this was an extreme, and extremely inappropriate way of handling the press, it’s unfortunately not unusual for event organizers to put reporters in a spot where they cannot wander freely and talk with people at the event. Politicians of all stripes adopt this policy. More typically, when this happens, we’re roped off in a corner of the event area. Besides the practical problem of this preventing me from doing my job (see point 1,) it was essentially a rude and uncomfortable way to treat a reporter. But that’s it.

4. I have since spoken with the home owner Alan Ginsburg. He called and very graciously apologized, and assured me that he had no idea that the Veep’s team had put me in his closet, and he was upset that it had happened. I’m sure that’s true and I accepted his apology.

5. One of the Veep’s staffers e-mailed an apology, though I found it far less satisfying than Ginsburg’s.

6. We (the Sentinel) didn’t make a big deal out of it because we figured – and I personally believe – that the way politicians treat reporters may be amusing to ghe general public, yet rude and uncomfortable treatment of a reporter is hardly unusual or shocking.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ne...for-joe-and-bill.html/comment-page-1#comments

Oh so you are upset I did not read the comments section? WOW. That is not a report, it is in the comments section of the article above. Since when are comments sections required reading?

Last edited:
Still it seems rather bizarre.
It's a ginned up story emanating from a disgruntled Photo Editor and a Freeper.

That's it's taken flight in right wing kook-land is not bizarre.

We know that it surely wouldn't be reported from the left leaning media...that's a given.

Because it's a non-story, probably only 1% truth in it at all. If he was "locked in," you mean he had nothing in that broom closet to bang on the door with? Come on...I smell a trout in the milk.

CaféAuLait;3467444 said:
CaféAuLait;3467416 said:

Oh so you are upset I did not read the comments section? WOW. That is not a report, it is in the comments section of the article above. Since when are comments sections required reading?
No one required it of you, but if you wanted to be informed, I am giving you the information on this story.

He was free to leave at any time. Biden's staff are under no obligation to provide a reporter access to a private, 500.00 a plate party.

He wanted the story, so he decided to stay in the place that allowed no access, until the portion where they decided to let press in.

He was not locked. The right sure knows how to spin a story.

How a story becomes poutragous in right wing land

1. Minor, private event happens. VP, Fundraiser, Chocolate martinis and canapes.
2. Reporter is invited for a portion of it.
3. Reporter is not allowed admittance to martini and canapes portion. Told he may voluntarily wait in another area until such time as they allow said reporter to the private event.
4. Reporter waits, snaps picture of his "cell."
5. Next day, small post is made on the reporters newspaper blog area (not by the reporter) about the indignities a reporter suffers through at multi-million dollar mansions.
6. Photo Editor who posted the picture and wanted it to be a bigger story goes out to have some beers with a Freeper. (yes, I am not making this up.)
7. Freeper creates a thread on FR and spins the story with the words "locked" and splashes in dog-whistle words like "police-state tactics," spices up the salad with Cuba, Iran, Libya, and Stalinist Russia references, and muzzle. Adds Imprisoned to the boldy headline and posts a Free Republic "Exclusive."
8. Freeper contacts Drudge with story.
9. Drudge, being Drudge, revs up the Wurlitzer, cranks the machine to 11.
10. Right wing music plays to eager right wing ears.
11. Tabloids, guised as newspapers in England pick it up, other newspapers across America follow suit.
12. 20,000 blog and message board posts begin holding hands in outrage and fear and Is this even America anymore? can be heard in the cacophony of sad lamentations of how First Amendment Rights! (dammit!) are now trashed and because of this dictatorial administration reporters are now being kidnapped and imprisoned.
13. Fox News picks it up.
14. It now becomes legend, told and retold. Obama regime imprisons reporters.
15. Freeper and Sentinel Photo Editor smile and smile. Drudge can be heard counting the revenue.
16. Reporter, who was free to leave at any time at this canapied event, goes wha? huh? It wasn't like that.
17. Right wingers and right wing media all across the fruited plain say: It doesn't matter. We are the ones who write the story. Get back in your closet, stooge!

And that, my friends, is how it all happens.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;3467416 said:

That was nice that he clarified things. But I guess he's too inexperienced to know that on private property one is NOT permitted just to roam around. In fact, where the vice president is appearing, the press isn't permitted to "roam around" even on public property without a Secret Service stopping him/her to ask the purpose.

CaféAuLait;3467374 said:

CaféAuLait;3467374 said:

Isn't the British Daily Mail a tabloid, kinda like our version of The New York Daily News ("ALIEN MONSTER FOUND IN HUDSON RIVER!!!!") ???

And what's this man doing with a girly bag? (Ooooooh, think I'll start a rumor...)

article-1370371-0B5C0F2700000578-768_468x606.jpg

No, actually the Daily Mail, while a tabloid, is not like our version of the New York Daily News. Nice try but total bullshit.

Forum List

Back