Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
The Global Divide on Homosexuality
Greater Acceptance in More Secular and Affluent Countries

2013-Homosexuality-05.png

Some unsurprising information - most Muslim-majority nations show significant majorities stating that homosexuality should not be accepted. What is surprising though - is significant numbers in non-Muslim countries such as S. Korea, China, El Salvadore and in Africa: Ghana, Uganda and Kenya, both Christian majority are over 90% unwilling to accept homosexuality.

"The survey of publics in 39 countries finds broad acceptance of homosexuality in North America, the European Union, and much of Latin America, but equally widespread rejection in predominantly Muslim nations and in Africa, as well as in parts of Asia and in Russia. Opinion about the acceptability of homosexuality is divided in Israel, Poland and Bolivia."

On the other hand, the trend in developed and more secular countries is towards greater tolerance of homosexuality, including among immigrant populations.

The report also notes a strong relationship between religiousity and anti-homosexual attitudes that correlates with both Islam, Christianity and even Judaism, with secular Jews in Israel being far more tolerant than religious Jews:

"There is a strong relationship between a country’s religiosity and opinions about homosexuality.2 There is far less acceptance of homosexuality in countries where religion is central to people’s lives – measured by whether they consider religion to be very important, whether they believe it is necessary to believe in God in order to be moral, and whether they pray at least once a day."
Another interesting point is that this increased tolerance is also reflected in immigrant populations to secular countries: Section 5: Political Opinions and Social Values, specifically Muslims. The overall national trend is towards greater acceptance, and though the trend is still lower than the rest of America, it is still trending towards greater acceptance.

Acceptance of homosexuality has risen significantly among those with high levels of religious commitment (from 16% in 2007 to 30% today) as well as those with medium levels of religious commitment (from 21% in 2007 to 37% today). However, those who express a low level of religious commitment continue to be more accepting (57%) than those with a high religious commitment (30%). Four years ago, 47% of those with low religious commitment said homosexuality should be accepted, compared with 16% among those who express a high commitment.

Whether Muslim Americans were born in the U.S. or immigrated here seems to make little difference in views toward homosexuality. Currently, 41% of the native born say homosexuality should be accepted, about the same as the 38% of foreign born who say this. In both cases, the numbers are up since 2007 (30% among the native born, 26% among the foreign born).

Given the recent tragedy in Orlando, which is driving a new furvor of anti-muslimism and a sudden new finding of "pro-gay sentiment" amongst formerly gay-hating demographics - it might be a good idea to look at actual trends within the US, and what really goes on around the world - including gay-hating non-Muslim countries that seem to get a free pass.

obama is pushing 2 conflicting societies to live peaceably together.
Sorta like starlings and woodpeckers.

I don't think so. They've been living peaceably together for some time now, and that doesn't explain actors like Eric Rudolph.

It is interesting to find out how "accepted" homosexuals are around the world. Meanwhile, the mass murder terror attack yesterday was done by a guy who not only yelled allah akbar but called the police to tell them about his allegiance to ISIS. To suggest that global attitudes about homosexuality drove this freak to kill a bunch of people, seems to me to be a non sequitur.

It is interesting to find out how "accepted" homosexuals are around the world. Meanwhile, the mass murder terror attack yesterday was done by a guy who not only yelled allah akbar but called the police to tell them about his allegiance to ISIS. To suggest that global attitudes about homosexuality drove this freak to kill a bunch of people, seems to me to be a non sequitur.

Homophobia - regardless of the religion behind it - is what drove this person to do what he did. He hated homosexuals and I'm not sure what difference it makes whether he yells "allah akbar" or "halleluja".

Homophobia - regardless of the religion behind it - is what drove this person to do what he did. He hated homosexuals and I'm not sure what difference it makes whether he yells "allah akbar" or "halleluja".

ramadanaWRONGdingdong

Not to mention that a large segment of this country applauds people for speaking hatred against gays, and there is no way the Orlando murderer wasn't influenced by that.

Closer to reality is that he hates all infidels, sure, that includes homosexuals. ISIS freaks don't yell hallelujah, they yell allah akbar.

Not to mention that a large segment of this country applauds people for speaking hatred against gays, and there is no way the Orlando murderer wasn't influenced by that.
So, this guy never hated homosexuals nor had an inkling to pledge allegiance to ISIS till he got a load of the USA's attitude toward "gays". Wow.

I tend to blame murderers for doing murder, not the culture in which their victims live.

Closer to reality is that he hates all infidels, sure, that includes homosexuals. ISIS freaks don't yell hallelujah, they yell allah akbar.

If he generically hated all infidels, he would not have chosen a specifically homosexual venue.

So, this guy never hated homosexuals nor had an inkling to pledge allegiance to ISIS till he got a load of the USA's attitude toward "gays". Wow.

I tend to blame murderers for doing murder, not the culture in which their victims live.

But you blame the murders religion.

If he generically hated all infidels, he would not have chosen a specifically homosexual venue.
How do you know that? He may have chosen it because it had crummy security or was always crowded or was on the bus line...

How do you know that? He may have chosen it because it had crummy security or was always crowded or was on the bus line...

It's a pretty select venue for someone of a religion that hates homosexuals, I think there was purpose there. Unless you've heard otherwise?

It's a pretty select venue for someone of a religion that hates homosexuals, I think there was purpose there. Unless you've heard otherwise?
it's a skunk analogy, skunk is not a ferocious creature, generally friendly and adorable to look at, even an important part of the ecosystem, but the smell is naturally repulsive to everything else but other skunks. homosexuality is just ew gross nasty for lots of people to even think about and it's not anyone's fault, it's how people are hardwired. so really it's about the easy, symbolic target. it's how terrorists do things, why it's terrorism, the killer gets to sort of flaunt it to the rest of the islamic world. he calls the 911 and everything, total sociopath.

I've stated alternate reasons he may have had for choosing that venue other than it's homosexual cIientele. I guess I'm more worried about Islamowackjobs killing large groups of people in general, then concentrating on the sex lives of the victims of this particular ISIS murder.

I believe we are all in danger from terrorists like Mateen and that suggestions that we are somehow to blame because not enough Americans salute rainbow flags or somesuch, do nothing to reduce any one of our risk of dying by ISIS terror attack. Thus, I'll remove myself from your thread.

I've stated alternate reasons he may have had for choosing that venue other than it's homosexual cIientele. I guess I'm more worried about Islamowackjobs killing large groups of people in general, then concentrating on the sex lives of the victims of this particular ISIS murder.

I believe we are all in danger from terrorists like Mateen and that suggestions that we are somehow to blame because not enough Americans salute rainbow flags or somesuch, do nothing to reduce any one of our risk of dying by ISIS terror attack. Thus, I'll remove myself from your thread.

No one has said that. The only one to blame is the one who did the act.

F'course it doesn't have to do with religion:rolleyes:

He could have chosen a Jewish school at morning. Would have been the same thing.

The Global Divide on Homosexuality
Greater Acceptance in More Secular and Affluent Countries

2013-Homosexuality-05.png

Some unsurprising information - most Muslim-majority nations show significant majorities stating that homosexuality should not be accepted. What is surprising though - is significant numbers in non-Muslim countries such as S. Korea, China, El Salvadore and in Africa: Ghana, Uganda and Kenya, both Christian majority are over 90% unwilling to accept homosexuality.

"The survey of publics in 39 countries finds broad acceptance of homosexuality in North America, the European Union, and much of Latin America, but equally widespread rejection in predominantly Muslim nations and in Africa, as well as in parts of Asia and in Russia. Opinion about the acceptability of homosexuality is divided in Israel, Poland and Bolivia."

On the other hand, the trend in developed and more secular countries is towards greater tolerance of homosexuality, including among immigrant populations.

The report also notes a strong relationship between religiousity and anti-homosexual attitudes that correlates with both Islam, Christianity and even Judaism, with secular Jews in Israel being far more tolerant than religious Jews:

"There is a strong relationship between a country’s religiosity and opinions about homosexuality.2 There is far less acceptance of homosexuality in countries where religion is central to people’s lives – measured by whether they consider religion to be very important, whether they believe it is necessary to believe in God in order to be moral, and whether they pray at least once a day."
Another interesting point is that this increased tolerance is also reflected in immigrant populations to secular countries: Section 5: Political Opinions and Social Values, specifically Muslims. The overall national trend is towards greater acceptance, and though the trend is still lower than the rest of America, it is still trending towards greater acceptance.

Acceptance of homosexuality has risen significantly among those with high levels of religious commitment (from 16% in 2007 to 30% today) as well as those with medium levels of religious commitment (from 21% in 2007 to 37% today). However, those who express a low level of religious commitment continue to be more accepting (57%) than those with a high religious commitment (30%). Four years ago, 47% of those with low religious commitment said homosexuality should be accepted, compared with 16% among those who express a high commitment.

Whether Muslim Americans were born in the U.S. or immigrated here seems to make little difference in views toward homosexuality. Currently, 41% of the native born say homosexuality should be accepted, about the same as the 38% of foreign born who say this. In both cases, the numbers are up since 2007 (30% among the native born, 26% among the foreign born).

Given the recent tragedy in Orlando, which is driving a new furvor of anti-muslimism and a sudden new finding of "pro-gay sentiment" amongst formerly gay-hating demographics - it might be a good idea to look at actual trends within the US, and what really goes on around the world - including gay-hating non-Muslim countries that seem to get a free pass.
In some American states it's still OK to fire someone for being gay or kick them out of their home.

American christianity isn't anywhere near as bad as islam but it's all still an evil lie. One cult tells it's members to kill on Ramadan the other says it's OK to descriminate against people for being who they are and who they want to be.

Forum List

Back