Reincarnation or one and done?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Given what I know about western religions, I'm having a little problem with the idea that we're born, live, and die only once, and if by then you haven't accepted the belief in and love of God then you're basically screwed. No salvation for you bub, and in fact Hell might be waiting for you to show up. Or the alternative that there's nothing after you die, no Heaven or Hell or anything else.

Okay, that's possible. I'm not about to crap on somebody else's beliefs/religion, since I don't know what is and isn't true any more than the next person if there even is an afterlife. BUT - there are plenty of documented stories of people who actually died and came back to report floating above their body and seeing people standing around the room before they came back to life. They were clinically dead, but were resuscitated and their accounts have a lot of similarities.

There are also numerous accounts of hypnotized people who have be regressed into a prior life, speak another language, even an extinct language, and relay information about a time and place they've never been in their current life. Who is to say what the truth really is? How do you explain a 5-year old kid who 60 years later can provide minutia about a WWII navy aircraft pilot who was shot down and killed in 1945, that just isn't available anywhere on-line? They weren't related in any way, so how does this kid know this stuff? And there are thousands of like stories, are they all liars or con artists of some kind? The kid wasn't under hypnosis when he told his parents all this information.

Reincarnation though implies an afterlife, somewhere that your spirit/soul goes after your physical body dies. And after awhile, your spirit/soul comes back in a new life, new body, new time, new place. Possible? As much as anything else is, I guess. And reincarnation also implies a God, or some kind of intelligent energy that set all this up in the 1st place.

Why would we reincarnate? Damned if I know, [hopefully not really] maybe partly to atone for past misdeeds, or help some other spirit/soul atone for theirs or for other reasons. For sure it ain't no piece of cake down here, not exactly a vacation. But I guess the one and done concept doesn't work for me, it's hard to accept that I'm effed if I don't really believe in the salvation that most churches promise. And I don't believe in damnation either, without any evidence that the salvation story is true. So, I'm looking deeper into this reincarnation thing, I kinda like it.

Given what I know about western religions, I'm having a little problem with the idea that we're born, live, and die only once, and if by then you haven't accepted the belief in and love of God then you're basically screwed. No salvation for you bub, and in fact Hell might be waiting for you to show up. Or the alternative that there's nothing after you die, no Heaven or Hell or anything else.

Okay, that's possible. I'm not about to crap on somebody else's beliefs/religion, since I don't know what is and isn't true any more than the next person if there even is an afterlife. BUT - there are plenty of documented stories of people who actually died and came back to report floating above their body and seeing people standing around the room before they came back to life. They were clinically dead, but were resuscitated and their accounts have a lot of similarities.

There are also numerous accounts of hypnotized people who have be regressed into a prior life, speak another language, even an extinct language, and relay information about a time and place they've never been in their current life. Who is to say what the truth really is? How do you explain a 5-year old kid who 60 years later can provide minutia about a WWII navy aircraft pilot who was shot down and killed in 1945, that just isn't available anywhere on-line? They weren't related in any way, so how does this kid know this stuff? And there are thousands of like stories, are they all liars or con artists of some kind? The kid wasn't under hypnosis when he told his parents all this information.

Reincarnation though implies an afterlife, somewhere that your spirit/soul goes after your physical body dies. And after awhile, your spirit/soul comes back in a new life, new body, new time, new place. Possible? As much as anything else is, I guess. And reincarnation also implies a God, or some kind of intelligent energy that set all this up in the 1st place.

Why would we reincarnate? Damned if I know, [hopefully not really] maybe partly to atone for past misdeeds, or help some other spirit/soul atone for theirs or for other reasons. For sure it ain't no piece of cake down here, not exactly a vacation. But I guess the one and done concept doesn't work for me, it's hard to accept that I'm effed if I don't really believe in the salvation that most churches promise. And I don't believe in damnation either, without any evidence that the salvation story is true. So, I'm looking deeper into this reincarnation thing, I kinda like it.

You get exactly one bite of the apple and that's it.

I'm with you, task. However, I take another avenue in getting there. I believe God is so awesome and merciful, that there is another bite of the apple, so to speak. A soul has the choice, take their medicine now, learn from the "Masters" or redeem yourself through another life.

I read a book, Many Masters, Many Lives and I was overwhelmed with the experiences this well known psychiatrist had with his patients.

And task, when I say "redeeming" yourself, it is to say that actions do get you closer if you performed your deeds because of God being in your heart. Thank you for an interesting thread.

I think we’re one and done, and maybe our energy rejoins the universe or something. One thing I’m certain of is than none of the countless manmade religions that have been invented have it anywhere close to right.

I'm in the one and done group.
Have you found yourself reviewing your life being closer to the end? I am not sure what I would choose if I was given a choice.

Sure. I believe most people do at times in their lives and, like me, I bet they regret some things and wish they could have a "do over" here and there.

I don't worry about my death. It will happen and then I'll know whether Christians or Atheists are right.

I'm with you, task. However, I take another avenue in getting there. I believe God is so awesome and merciful, that there is another bite of the apple, so to speak. A soul has the choice, take their medicine now, learn from the "Masters" or redeem yourself through another life.

I read a book, Many Masters, Many Lives and I was overwhelmed with the experiences this well known psychiatrist had with his patients.

And task, when I say "redeeming" yourself, it is to say that actions do get you closer if you performed your deeds because of God being in your heart. Thank you for an interesting thread.

I also believe we go round and round till we learn whatever it is we're supposed to
ever see the KID who dies in world war 2?

god and the universe
grander than anyone can imagine

I think we’re one and done, and maybe our energy rejoins the universe or something. One thing I’m certain of is than none of the countless manmade religions that have been invented have it anywhere close to right.
Your comment is interesting on two points.
I agree that man has interfered with the spiritual messages given by God and Jesus. Perhaps there are many paths to the mountain top, but history demonstrates that man has changed the religious laws that were once deemed so important that entry to Heaven was impossible if that Cardinal rule was broken.

I ascribe to a personal relationship with my creator and pray for guidance.

I'm in the one and done group.
Have you found yourself reviewing your life being closer to the end? I am not sure what I would choose if I was given a choice.

Sure. I believe most people do at times in their lives and, like me, I bet they regret some things and wish they could have a "do over" here and there.

I don't worry about my death. It will happen and then I'll know whether Christians or Atheists are right.
I believe that is a healthy attitude.

Why does it have to be either/or -- 'one and done' or reincarnation? Couldn't' God treat different souls differently?

I also believe we go round and round till we learn whatever it is we're supposed to
ever see the KID who dies in world war 2?

god and the universe
grander than anyone can imagine

I haven't seen that but would like to. However I did read the book about this small tyke who had an amazing talent for baseball at an early age(2, 3?). It turns out he knew TOO MUCH (Ithink that is the title of the book) about Lou Gehrig. Even things that only family knew about his life and how much he disliked Babe Ruth! I think it is The Boy Who Knew Too Much.

Why does it have to be either/or -- 'one and done' or reincarnation? Couldn't' God treat different souls differently?
I think so. That is where the soul can go back and learn what he must learn to enter Heaven and if the heart is so dark, or so many chances were given God says no Heaven for you!

God could if He so chose to. However, at this point I must rely on the teachings of the New Testament.

Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" (KJV)

To my understanding that is one and done.

I've done most everything to do and had most everything anyone would want to own. Knowing what I know now?
No thanks. Life is over-rated.
"money can't buy you love"

I believe in reincarnation, after all Barr is a reincarnation of Roy Cohn. He is even part jewish.

One and done. No, there are no magical souls. No, your houseplants don't reincarnate, either.

FYI, for any who are interested, a regression hypnotist named Michael Newton has written books about what happens after you die. You could download them on the internet at b-ok.org for free if you are so inclined. And there are quite a few other authors on the subject on that website and at Amazon and other places, but they ain't free though.

Again, I'm not saying what is true and what isn't. Some of these books talk about other planes of existence and other planets that you could reincarnate on. So, you kinda have to open your mind to the possibilities that there is more out there than we can even imagine.

I'm hoping reincarnation and karma aren't a thing ...

... I'm guaranteed to come back as a toilet brush.

Forum List

Back