Rate Yourself as a Cook

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
My husband and I had this discussion a bit ago. He thinks my cooking is wonderful (God love him). I would give myself a FIVE on a scale of 1-10.

Here are my thoughts: a 10 would be a gourmet cook/chef, a professional or at least someone with training. A 1 would be the person who cannot boil water for a hot dog.

I rate myself a five because the food is good, and I can make more complicated food than when we first married. BUT I am not a creative cook. I rarely veer from recipes and I almost always use them. Additionally I do not enjoy cooking as a hobby. I don't hate it, but if I have free time, I'm not in the kitchen or looking up recipes.

Do you agree with my rating? What is yours?

Anyone who ditches the wifes cooking needs to buy a new dog house.

Just saying..........My wife is a very good cook. I'm only good at stews and such........or grill. She makes new dishes all the time.....and goes do you like it.......And I always......say......yes dear.

Later she eats it and says it's terrible..........lmao.......then I can admit to not liking it.

The grocery store bakery is easier and maybe even cheaper than baking yourself.
Most other foods are things that you can just season and heat until done.
Convection ovens do an excellent job for broiling meats.
Induction stoves do an excellent job of controlling heat and time.

I have been cooking commercially off and on since 1990. I know a lot of very efficient techniques. What keeps me from rating myself a 10 is that I am not a chef - I am not comfortable imagining combinations of ingredients.

I do most of the cooking and I am pretty good at finding different flavor combos and mixing in the comfort foods. My family says I make the best tacos, ribs, spaghetti and stew. I don't make desserts so, what I do cook I'm good but in the grand scheme of cooking I am a 7.5.

I always get compliments on my cooking/baking and my family tells me I'm a good cook, but I'm like the OP in that I'm not creative, mostly just follow recipes. Growing up my dad cooked because he enjoyed it, and he rarely follows recipes.

I'd say I'm a solid 8.
The Wife is a solid 5.
We both love cooking and spending time together in the kitchen.
She's my sous chef for the most part and the dishwasher.
We decided to try those ready measured food in the box stuff in hopes of finding other things we might like.
As it turns out we like what we like. If it isnt southern,cajun,creole,mexican,tex mex or italian we wont eat it for the most part.
If We get a hankering for oriental we'll just order out.

Anyone who ditches the wifes cooking needs to buy a new dog house.

Just saying..........My wife is a very good cook. I'm only good at stews and such........or grill. She makes new dishes all the time.....and goes do you like it.......And I always......say......yes dear.

Later she eats it and says it's terrible..........lmao.......then I can admit to not liking it.

I have caught my husband doing this too! And I tell him okay, if you SAY you like it I will make it again, so you better be honest! He's actually so good to me that he just mutes his responses if he doesn't love it, like, "It's nice" or something. Or maybe he just wants me to keep cooking for him lol

He is a very seasonal eater though, so I know never to make stews in July or dinner salads in January. He would NOT like that at all. Everything in its season.

I do most of the cooking and I am pretty good at finding different flavor combos and mixing in the comfort foods. My family says I make the best tacos, ribs, spaghetti and stew. I don't make desserts so, what I do cook I'm good but in the grand scheme of cooking I am a 7.5.

Seems solid yep. A 5 like me does not have their own recipes.

I'd say I'm a solid 8.
The Wife is a solid 5.
We decided to try those ready measured food in the box stuff in hopes of finding other things we might like.
As it turns out we like what we like. If it isnt southern,cajun,creole,mexican,tex mex or italian we wont eat it for the most part.

I love Mediterranean and it's the one thing that bumps me from probably a 4 to a 5. I just made Tzatziki sauce last night and I modified the recipe and it was...well it was amazing. tbh. But I do that rarely as I said

I'd say I'm a solid 8.
The Wife is a solid 5.
DItto on spending time in the kitchen.
Bonzi takes on the role of sous chef etc., especially on weekends.
As for Asian cooking, it is one of the easiest. And forget the prepared salt bomb mixes at the grocery store. They are just that - salt bombs. To make awesome, better than take out Asian food - you just need a wok, soy sauce/sesame oil maybe some coconut milk if you are going Thai. But seriously, Asian food is one of the easiest/quickest cuisines to make.

Forum List

Back